1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Dick Lebeau pass the baton?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 4, 2015.

1. YES, Dick LeBeau should retire and give someone else a shot

44 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. NO, Dick LeBeau should remain the Steeler DC

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I look at Seattle's defense, and they do not do anything complicated with their 4-3...why can't the Steelers do the same???

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I have all the respect for DL in the world, but I just think its time for change.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I voted that he should but don't believe he will.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Actually, it was a Tampa 2, which requires a fast, all-around MLB, and a couple of cover corners.

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Just trying to show the old man some good vibes. :)

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Giving it a 2nd thought, Shazier fits the mold of a MLB for Tampa 2 4-3 defense. If he was Tomlin's pick, this turns thing interesting...

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's the problem right there. We haven't seen Blitzburgh in a few years. Where are the blitzes? The Ravens sent more people and had free runners. Rex Ryan sends blitzes all out. We don't. It might be he doesn't trust the personnel but they don't cover when they don't send the blitz.

When was the last time we seen a corner blitz?

When was the last time we seen an overload from one side, and a dlineman drops back to cover that side?

That cross dog blitz should be eliminated from the playbook unless you have an Levon Kirkland type linebacker.

Finally, and most telling of all, Cam Heyward was our leading sacker in a 3-4 defense..(nothing against Cam though):facepalm:

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This appears to have lost some steam so I'll go ahead and close the poll. All I can say is WOW. About 3 out of every 4 fans on this board think DL should retire. I agree with that but thought the vote would be closer.

I appreciate what LeBeau has done for the Steelers but it's time for him to call it a day. No one, not even the great Dick LeBeau, should be named DC for life. There are other guys out there chomping at the bit with fresh new ideas that should be given a shot. How is somebody supposed to become the next great defensive mind if the guys that have had their opportunities refuse to retire and rest on the laurels of past success? LeBeau's schemes and methods have been decoded by much of the league, we've heard players on other teams and even Steeler players make reference to that. Young guys take way too long to develop, in some cases developing late in their first deals and leaving for greener pastures and in other cases never developing at all and being relegated to perennial special team duties. Sorry, LeBeau, it's just time to move on and give somebody else an opportunity to become the next you.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only real argument against DL is his system takes a while to learn and rookie contracts aren't as long as they used to be.

This whole "figured out his system" thing is overblown too. No DC's system is a mystery, you watch film, break it down and you know exactly what they are doing. It comes down to the players, and if DL stays and continues to revamp the defense, once he has the right personnel out there, they'll have a SB caliber defense again.

Whether he stays or goes, I don't have a problem with either decision.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How many times did we run the cross dog blitz the other night? How many times was it effectively picked up? Do you think the Rats have seen that a few times?

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I only seen it once .lol . I was watching the DB'S get shredded so I missed the other 15 times we ran it until I forced another watch of the game .

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dallas of the 90's had like 2 running plays, how successful were teams stopping Emmit Smith? Knowing whats coming doesn't matter if your beat the guys across from you.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It matters now days . I have seen High School Teams win the state with 4 plays , but that was 15 years ago . The scheme and the Coaches are what helps players make the plays .

And those 2 running plays Dallas ran were blocked 100 different ways that's what a lot of peeps don't see .

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Teams have been pretty dang effective at stopping it this year when our leading sacker is a D-lineman. My point is that in order to be successful, you've got to be able to adjust and throw in some new wrinkles on occasion, especially when you're playing a divisional rival with everything at stake. We threw the same blitz packages and defensive schemes at them that they've seen a thousand times before and they handled it easily continuing to build on the legend that is JOE FLACCO! :facepalm:

15. Ohio Steeler

Ohio Steeler Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Tomlin at his presser today was asked about Lebeau's future and said that he hasn't spoke to him yet. Ed Bouchette said that Lebeau definetly wants to coach next season and would go to another team if the Steelers dont want him.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting. It's my opinion that LeBeau will retire under only two circumstances:
    1) he is forced into it because he can't get a job;
    and
    2) the defensive playbook is removed from his cold, dead hands.

I'm sorry, guys, but I think his "stay forever" approach may not be in the best interest of the team in the long run. I'm not diminishing what LeBeau has done in his career and appreciate the fact that he doesn't know the word quit, but sometimes it's necessary for tough decisions to be made. LeBeau is going to have to make a tough decision or someone within the organization will have to do it on his behalf. It's becoming more and more obvious to me that LeBeau's departure from the Steelers will not be a voluntary decision and that is unfortunate.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And I'm just trying to point out that there really isn't any mystery about what teams are running, that's why they spend hours breaking down film.

And as much as I can't stand Flacco, hes one of those players whose game is elevated in the post season, his SB run was historic.

That would totally shock me. Some people fear sitting still though, retirement scares them, he may need to coach.

19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

And thats why a change should be made. Even though they won't , just frustrating to know it will be the same thing until he leaves.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's time for Art Rooney II to retire Lebeau like he did Arians, enough of his outdated scheme already. The Ravens DC did a great job attacking the Steelers. Lebeau didn't show any creative blitzes against Flacco, when was the last time we saw a Steeler defender on a blitz with a clear path to the QB. I'm tired of the Steelers CBs playing 10-12 cushions when it's 3rd and 5 :facepalm:

21. Tarrytown Steeler

Tarrytown Steeler Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Steeler D has been underwhelming now for a few years, this will remain the same without a change.

Even the last Pope realized when it was time to retire, Lebeau needs to take one for the team and gracefully resign.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a lot of respect for DL. Maybe, if he isn't ready to retire he can be given another job within the organization, similar to what Mean Joe had. With the defense getting younger, I think now is the time to start over on D. As for his heir apparent, hmmm, will he really change enough to be effective?

If DL goes, then Harrison will definitely retire. Having said that, I love 92, but that is not enough of a reason to keep DL around. I just think it is time to move on.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry I'm late to the party I haven't been able to even look at anything steeler related until now. I take my losses hard but I'm glad to be back to see what you guys have been up to. Happy New Year to all.

As far as the Lebeau topic goes I agree with all of the points to moving on without him. I think it was RayD that said he needs to be able to do more with less and I totally agree. I know our talent on D isn't elite but if he is such a genius he needs to come up with something. If this D needs so much more of a infusion of talent to get back near the top ,how long do we wait and hold onto Lebeau until we get to the point where we conclude he now has the talent to succeed. He can't coach forever. If I thought he was capable of changes and adjustments to today's Nfl I would say let's keep him here.
    The thing is this D has been on a steady decline for years and it's not just talent ,it's the predictability of his scheme.

the cushions he imposes are to the point where they have become comical. The third and longs that we have been giving up for years now are the norm rather than uncommon. Besides the line play the other biggest issue in the loss was once again the inability of our D to get off the field on 3rd and long.To the guys saying he needs to play our DBs with that cushion because they can't cover is not entirely the truth I think the biggest reason is because he rarely if ever provides them with any safety help. He continues to use his safeties too close to the LOS for run support in a pass first league. Once again if I thought he was capable of adjusting his scheme to the talent we have rather than to keep trying to pound square pegs into round holes I would be on board to keeping him mostly because most if not all of the guys on D love him.
    to me though that is far from reason enough.....

This team is going through a transition on D and we will be getting younger with the influx of young talent we have and still need on defense. I just think it's time for some newer blood with some fresher and more modern ideas to lead the new defense into the future. I just get tired of seeing opposing Ds running free through our O line and our guys most times barely getting a sniff. Lebeau's Blitzburgh is dead it's time to start on a new journey towards dominance once again....

24. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Could use a third option on the poll, C: I don't know. It's definetely above my paygrade but if i could see the preseason prep, talent evaluation(who the hell put Cortez Allen and cam thomas on the payroll for mega millions) and what his decision process is in calling some of his defensive plays I could take a stab at that question and many others.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, a young A Smith is no longer out there, nor is there a young Diesel, Clark, Harrison, Troy, Ike, Woodley, Foote or Farrior.

So yeah, we've seen a drop off.