1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The "I was wrong about ____" Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There have been a few threads lately that seem to be directed at making some folks eat a bit of crow. I figured it may be fun to have a thread where we fans can admit being wrong about something, and see where that takes us. I'll start.

I was wrong about Le'Veon Bell. I HATED taking him with a 2nd round pick a couple of years ago. I wanted Keenan Allen in the worst way, and when he was available in the 2nd I wanted us to pounce on him. I am generally opposed to spending high picks on running backs because I think you can get quality backs later in the draft. The exception is a true 3 down franchise back, and I didn't see any sign whatsoever that Bell would be a franchise back based on his college tape. However, he has certainly proven me wrong. What a great football player, and a true franchise running back.

2. bim94

bim94 Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I was right about Bell. I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan and had a chance to watch him in school and just knew it about him. I was wrong about Jarvis Jones in that draft, because I loved that pick too. It seems he may yet be the guy we are hoping for, but notwithstanding his wrist injury setback, he has still taken longer to develop than I had hoped. Cortez Allen is another one...I thought for sure Keenan Lewis was the guy to let go if it meant keeping Allen and his ball skills. Lewis may not be worth the money he got, but Allen definitely isn't...and we are stuck with him unless he gets out of this bs funk next year.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was wrong about missing just being in Indianapolis for the SB even if I didn't have tickets to the game. I only live an 1 1/2 away from there and had enough money that the wife and I could have at least got a hotel to throw down with all the other Steelers fans that filled the bars and restaurants around the stadium. The biggest stepping stone for me was knowing that if I were right outside the stadium I would have had to cave and buy the tickets which I knew I wouldn't have been able to afford thanks to those elite celebs and stars that only have to make an appearance.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was wrong about Big Ben. After his suicidal cycle accident and the two sexual assault alleged incidents, I thought he'd be sharing a room with Ryan Leaf at Shawshank. Now he may be sharing a room with Johnny Unitas in Canton. Nice turnaround BB, even if the rest of the league's fans still have a nasty nickname for you.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was wrong about James Harrison. I thought his age and his injuries had pretty much put an end to his effectiveness. Boy was I wrong and I'm happy I was!

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

and

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i was wrong about pouncey i thought velasco could have done the same job at less price and without the baggage around . (see brothers going around) now i' m happy he signed

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!: I also thought he was over-rated and prematurely crowned the second coming of DD. Being healthy an entire season sure makes a world of difference. He and BB are so in synch it's scary, not to mention his great blocking skills.

9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I was wrong about Cortez Allen. .. I thought he would shut down one side of the defensive backfield and initially applauded the team for locking him up long-term

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, thanks for the prompt, strummer.

and...I'm usually right about most things so this is highly unusual for me. ;)

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was wrong about cam Thomas, wait no, scratch that, nope nothing I can think of. LOL :lolol::facepalm::cool:

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I will admit I had the same opinion as the OP of this thread. I wasnt happy with the choice of Bell in RD2. I wanted Lacy. When the Browns traded Richardson to the Colts I was pissed we didnt pursue Richardson more aggressively. In fact I posted on this board we should have traded the than injured and never have played a down in the NFL Bell to the Browns with a (if I remember correctly) 2nd round pick for "The Bell Cow" (my phrase) Richardson. I wasnt convinced Bell was big or tough enough to be our "Bell Cow Back". Hell he was already hurt and hadnt played a meaningful down.

Well flash forward almost 2 seasons and see how wrong I was.:facepalm: Im not saying Bell is a sure fire first ballot HOFer in any way. He has A LOT more to show us before we bump him up to that status. He has however given himself a good start .

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I was wrong about running the ball...I wish we could pass every down.......I guess this year has shown we have to run to pass

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How about Nick Williams or Brian Arnfelt?

15. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Think this is an "I was wrong" thread, not "he was wrong."

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was wrong about Dri Archer. I figured that with his speed he could make some big plays on offense.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    OMG did the earth just move, did we enter a different universe? Did bigsteelerfaninky really just he wanted to run the ball? Just kidding you but seriously did you really say that lol.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok here is mine I had Ben at only being able to be competitive for three more years tops if he didn't change his game. I am happy to say I was wrong he tweaked his game managed to become more productive and stay healthy. I will now give him 5-6 years.

20. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I was wrong about...

Danny Farmer.

I was so certain that Farmer (not Plaxico) was going to be a stud WR that I bemoaned the fact that the Steelers hadn't taken Chad Pennington with their first pick.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was wrong about Cortez Allen, I thought he had more talent, he may still get another chance.
    I am not sure he wants to tackle/ be physical. Won't last long being this way for the PGH Steelers.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well played!

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I will ditto being wrong about Cortez - so far. Signing him was #1 on my list of favorite off season moves, and I'm not feeling good about it right now. Let's see whether we pay his roster bonus and double down.

I'm maybe 50/50 on Pouncey. He has been better this season than I expected. I saw him as a lower tier top 10 center (i.e. In the 6-10 range). He has played at a top 5 level most of the time. I need to see it a bit more to be satisfied with what we spent on him, and if his payday means that we can't afford DeCastro, well....

I, and I think many of us, were wrong on Emmanuel Sanders. While I'm happy with where we are at WR right now, I think it's clear that he is pretty darn good. His success is not all Manning and having the Thomases around him. He flat out makes plays.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Williams got poached from the PS and we thought enough of him to keep him to that point, so how is that a miss? arnfelt did disappoint after a good rookie camp, but in my defense I have one thing to say glenn, cam Thomas. i'll leave it at that.:cool:

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    another vote for Cortez Allen, I'd thought he would be a very good one, I really hope he isn't one of these players where once they get their money, they go lazy. I was hoping Cortez and Lewis were going to be the future corners of this team. Now Cortez sucks and Lewis went back home