1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

early top 5

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Dec 7, 2014.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I bet Trae Waynes will have a 20 or so grade on him . We should be prepared to go get him anywhere past the Top 10 . He is the CB we need . One line says it all.

Always keeps his eyes alert to quickly diagnose and break on the ball with natural ball skills to make plays.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I don't want to see any RB taken that early. How many teams have a bonafide #1 sitting on the bench? Pick up someone in FA or grab one late but please, nothing before the 5th. Plus, still don't know what we have in Harris, he may be something.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think anyone was calling for a 1st rd. RB. if any of these guys mentioned are sitting there in the 3rd or 4th though I'd consider it. we can't assume bell will be injury free forever with his work load.

as for CB's in the first, I'm not sure this class is that strong. the speed of these guys is lacking. the guys with speed are short. the taller ones have safety type speed only. we have short with speed and they have time in our system. I still think free agency may be the way to go for a starter. now for some depth and an eventual #2 possibly out of this class come the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th possibly. the worst thing we could do is reach though.:cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I personally liked Trae Waynes better than Dennard last season when I was watching film on Dennard. I have yet to watch anything on him from 2014 (other than watching a couple of MSU games on live TV), but he could very well be my BPA if available when we pick. He's a good player.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    waynes is said to go about mid first. the top rated kid from Oregon just tore his ACL I read. darby or Williams one of the two is implicated somehow with Winston in the rape case I also read. not a lot of speed with this years crop of corners.:cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Too early for my taste, not with the other needs we have presently, not a luxury we can afford. I think you can find a RB easier in FA then a CB and cost a lot less.

We still have Harris too, who has time in our system and may yet prove something.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we also have corners in our system that may yet prove something.:cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well I'll leave that for the people who see them every day to decide, but as it stands now, need corners more than rb's.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well we certainly can't take all db's in the draft. there are going to be a lot of free agents out there next year at the defensive back spots. corners and safeties. if they play it right, and with the lack of top tier talent in this draft, I'd much rather see a seasoned pickup to add to what we have for the short term. I'm just not sure there is a big drop off in this draft from 1st, 2nd and on down at these positions.

I'm not calling for taking a RB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd necessarily, but come 3rd round or 4th if one of these top RB's happen to slip for some reason, a good backup to bell is not out of the question for me. there are some pretty good RB's in this one. it still is a position of need for us. we have seen what a good RB brings to the offense.:cool:

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We could always take a page out of Walsh's draft book. Taking a CB or S 4 times in the first 5 rounds worked out pretty well for them.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, it did work out well for them. big difference in the quality available though now and then. they also had a great front 7 in front of that group. I'm not sure we have that much talent that would be in front of them. they also already had plenty of RB talent already on that team too.:cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You have me confused with PWP, I never implied taking all DB"s :lolol:

I could probably live with a 4th rd pick for a RB but wouldn't be thrilled either. CB, S, OT, OLB, DL and TE are all bigger needs IMO. I'm not saying to reach for any of them but all things being equal, I'm picking those spots before a RB.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn't mind IF they are legitimately BPAs at positions we can stand to upgrade. I wouldn't reach for them though.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh, my bad PW, I mean BF. LOL I'm just hoping it's the right guys to help. one position over the other doesn't matter if we keep them and they can play. a starting #1 corner I still think will come via free agency. depth and a future starter could be drafted. definitely safety help I want in this draft. OT is pretty high up there too. TE, I'm not so heavy on yet, though there are a couple I like. DL, OLB, WR, I think may be high on the list than TE this year. I really think we have a nice mix of TE's right now. hopefully blanchflower makes some strides by next year.:cool:

16. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd think OLB is likely to be a position of need in the first 2 rounds and we're gonna have to get it right. If Jones is gonna be nothing more than a backup and Worrilds is gone, we have very little in terms of starter quality there for next season in a Defence that's built on outside pressure.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Who do you like at OLB in the draft this year? Just curious. I think Fowler from Florida would be great for us if we could get him

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    How far do you think Gurley will fall due to the ACL tear?

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good God what a steal that would be if he's there in the late third or the fourth. I doubt he falls too far though. 2nd-early 3rd in my eyes. Too much upside on the kid to not take a shot on him. Him and Gordon are two players I'd be really upset landing in Baltimore.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I would love to have a 1-2 of bell and Gurley, but doubt they would take him unless he fell to the 4th. You know Baltimore will be gunning for a back in the draft.

21. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Not really, be interested to hear from anyone with a bit more college football expertise. Tbh, I was excited by the JJ pick so My opinion would probbly not be worth considering. Still some hope for Howard Jones or Zumwalt?

22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Personally, I know that Holliman isn't much of a tackler, but he's a turnover machine, and Free Safety is a position of need, IMHO. I don't see o-line or d-line as major needs, since we won't be losing any o-line to free agency or retirement, and we have this years draft picks to step in on the d-line. CB and OLB (or a convertible defensive end) should be rounds 2-3, since the CBs this year don't rate incredibly high, and teams will be reaching in rounds 1 and 2 to get them. DE is incredibly deep this year, and even when we draft 32, we should be able to pick up a good one in rounds 2 or 3. Mid rounds should go O, with a RB, a TE, and maybe a new #3 QB in there somewhere, or a 2nd CB. Maybe a punter in round 7.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our secondary needs help badly,I don't watch, haven't watched enough of these college players to form an opinion.I will say that I would like at
    the minninum 3 db's brought in whether thru FA or the draft. Hope we find what we need.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I freakin' love this site and the Bill Nunn Draft Room especially! Love the fact that we are already talking draft, keep it coming.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this is why I want a good backup drafted BF. again Colbert left us pretty much high and dry without a replacement for blount. this tate move or one like it should have happened when we lost him. thanks kev.:cool: