1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by markthadon11, Dec 7, 2014.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let's not give a pass to LeBeau here. He sets up the Defensive strategy right?! And Ike is his boy. It seems Tomlin is not happy with the gashes in the pass defense and I believe Ike will not see the field as a starter, or better yet, the rest of the season. McCain takes the starting nod as he should. As far as pass rush, or lack there of, why is Jason Wourlds out in coverage so much? HE IS A PASS RUSHER! It would be nice to see some pass rush! But the old scheme is worn out and opposing Offenses know what's coming. Let's hope the Offense doesn't struggle going forward because this Defense cannot be relied on.

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    fyi ... Cortez Allen is owed a $3 million roster bonus next March. :roflmao:

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes. And he said as much in his Tuesday press conference. When asked about the 40+ yard plays given up to the Bengals offense, Tomlin said the fault was everywhere. I took that to mean it was player detail, scheme and coaching...

4. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    And that means that Cortez Allen isn't going anywhere. Just got to hope he can move on from his difficulties and have a better 2015. I would project that the Steelers plan on having him be one of the starting corners going into camp next year.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you're probably right that he will be here, but the $3 million roster bonus (which is avoidable if he's cut) makes it more likely that the team parts ways with him, not less likely. If we cut him before that roster bonus kicks in, it never hits our cap. My guess is that they will approach him in the offseason about some form of contract change.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Exactly. He'll probably be on the roster next year, but the roster bonus would be a huge reason for him not to be. If I had to make a premature guess, I'd say they probably restructure his contract. They could clear ~$3.6 Mil by a maximum traditional restructure.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but that would increase dead money down the road if he doesn't get his head together and we cut him, right? I'm not sure that will work without being combined with some sort of pay reduction.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Right, I can't see why they'd want or need to do a max restructure with him, I was just saying how much room they have to work with.

9. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't mind a little re-structuring, but personally I would like to see them do very little. I think they need to eat most of that re-structure and move on. Pushing the payment into the future is the sort of thing that has crippled this team's ability to make deals in the future for possible free agents and current players.

Near future you got DeCastro, Bell that are going to have get paid. I would rather see them take their lumps a bit and suck it up and deal with the pain now as opposed to pushing it into the future.

10. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    It would be absolutely embarrassing to cut him right after signing him to an extension. I can't see it happening. Especially since it would only save ~ $1.5 mil. We made our bed. Live with his cap number next year, and then if he doesn't get his **** together come back in 2016 with an ax and let him choose whether we take it to his salary or his roster spot.

11. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    And Heyward ... and Ben.

12. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    The crazy thing with Allen this year is there were quite a few plays where his coverage wasn't that bad it was more his technique in defending the receiver. It seemed like often times like he would do about 75 to 80 percent of the work and then forget to actually make a play on the ball. So my hope is he can rebound some with a fresh start.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The crazier thing was he was benched. With a nice fresh contract. I don't ever recall a player on the Steelers signing a new contract that has ever gotten benched. And to think he is going to restructure after the ink is still wet is crazy. He has not impressed me that much to see a 3 mill bonus being dolled out. It was a rush to sign him.

Blake, McCain have stepped up. They are keepers as well as Gay. Draft 2 CB's and bring in a FA.

Going to have to resign a few keepers next season.