1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by markthadon11, Dec 7, 2014.

1. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    At least their won't be losing teams in the playoffs. I feel very good about the playoffs right now. Just get in and they might just have a shot. They have proven that they can play against anyone and lose but they have also proven that they can play against anyone and win.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I didn't get to watch any of the game.

I checked the box score and noticed that Shazier had nothing. I checked the inactives and he wasn't listed. Did he even see the field?

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No. He didn't see a single snap.

4. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    K 6 S.Suisham, P 9 B.Wing, WR 10 M.Bryant, WR 11 M.Wheaton, WR 16
    L.Moore, S 20 W.Allen, S 21 R.Golden, CB 25 B.McCain, S 29 S.Thomas, S 35
    R.Ventrone, RB 40 J.Harris, CB 41 A.Blake, LB 50 R.Shazier, LB 57 T.Garvin, LS
    60 G.Warren, DL 62 D.McCullers, C/G 72 C.Wallace, TE 82 M.Palmer, WR 85
    D.Heyward-Bey, DT 95 J.Jones, DT 96 C.Thomas, LB 98 V.Williams

Did Not Play Did Not Play
    QB 5 B.Gradkowski, G 74 C.Hubbard

Not Active Not Active
    QB 3 L.Jones, WR/RB 13 D.Archer, WR 15 J.Brown, CB 39 B.Webb, DE 71
    C.Geathers, OT 77 M.Gilbert, LB 92 J.Harrison

He must have dressed since his name is listed in the substitutions. But, I do not think he saw the field. Even though he also is not listed in the Did Not Play section.

Maybe he got on the field on a ST play but that is doubtful. I really like V. Williams a lot but also would like to get Shazier back in there at LILB. Yeah! I really like V. Williams a lot. I even would like to try him at LOLB. I am one who thinks Worilds is practically useless. I have even suggested going with only ten D players. At least then the ones there know they have a lot more to do.

On the Report Card Vid on nfl.com, Elliot Harrison grades the D at C+. I have been viewing his grades all year. I even think he could be a Steeler fan.

Anyway, he said C+. But he also said that he isn't saying anything Steeler fans don't already know, but the D is a huge concern. His C+ grade was generous he thought, since 1 they did win and 2 only gave up 21 pts. But still----no where good enough. I kind of agreed with him.

Seriously, try V. Williams at LOLB. If he does absolutely nothing it will be an upgrade.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like many have said, I'm pleasantly surprised at the play of Blake and McCain. They both seem to have good ball skills and are rarely ever out of position. They anticipate the route well and are usually contending when the ball comes their way. If we could combine their ball skills and intelligence with Ike Taylor's and Cortez Allen's size and physical attributes, our CB problems would be solved.

6. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    The thing that scares me w/our defense is that the offense needs to play almost lights out to win. I know Ben has been average to even somewhat bad in some losses this year, but it is also unrealistic to expect your QB to put up a 110+ rating each game. Look at the Pats last night, Brady wasn't that great for 3 quarters, but his defense constantly made plays until he could pull out a little magic with Edelman. Rivers didn't do anything magical either and his defense kept him in the game as well. The Steelers defense cannot do that, they give up far too many explosive plays. The same thing is going to occur this week. If the Steelers can't amass 400+ yards and no turnovers they are going to lose. The Falcons defense is awful, but that is enormous pressure to constantly put on your offense.

7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The thing that worries me about the Falcons is that they are a pass-happy team. #5 in the NFL as of right now. That means that, once again, our O is going to have to put up some serious yardage because our secondary can't withstand that kind of onslaught (ref: New Orleans game last week). Worse, if Ike starts, we stand a very good chance of losing.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a shout out to McCullers. I thought he did a good job. as did tuitt, spence, Williams, blake and McCain. nice to see them improving as we go.:smiley1::cool:

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think our defense MAY be turning the corner. Some of the young players are starting to step up.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There have been an awful lot of cries on here for the db's to line up tight against the wideouts, rather than stay 7+ yards off the ball. When Ike was beat deep, he was up on the line (I believe so anyway, anyone have the footage?).

I go back to the 2005 playoff game against the Colts, the Steelers came out and gave Peyton the short stuff, but didn't let him beat them deep. The idea was, if you score you score, but it will take you 8+ plays to do it, rather than 2 or 3. Maybe within those 8+ plays there's a penalty or a sack and the drive stalls. Back then, with that defense, they did that because of the caliber of offense they were facing.

Now, the gap is with the quality of our secondary. Keep the DB's back, put the safeties in position so that they do not ever get beat by a 40+ yard play. Make the teams navigate down the field and stop giving up these big plays. Tunch said they gave up 12 40+ plays last year, the touchdown to Green was the 13th such play this year, and they have 3 games to go.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing on my way in to work this morning. With Spence, Shazier and Williams all at the same spot, maybe try Williams at OLB so he can see the field more frequently.

12. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Odd that in this thread no one has mentioned the lack of pass rush which gives our DB's a much more difficult job. Just an observation.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    When did he play? It couldn't have been for more than a handful of snaps.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Zero stats to go with it.

15. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I just cannot believe how awful Polamalu, Mitchell, and Ike are. I mean, wow, they are terrible. Ike was "injured" and Blake came in and that HELPED!!! Watch what Julio and company do to them at the Georgia Dome.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    7 snaps. 16th most on defense. he held his ground well during those. hopefully his time increases. mclendon 24. cam Thomas 13.:cool:

17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, if Ike and Troy are still starting and get torched it's all on Tomlin. Will Allen and any other CB are better options at this point.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What will Tom Brady, Peyton Manning do to us?
    Let alone the best QB in Aaron Rodgers.Are we a relevant playoff team?We have our work cut out for us.

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would bench Taylor, Polamalu and Mitchell next week. Go with Shamarko Thomas and Will Allen and Blake. They can't be any worst.

20. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    This speaks to Ike's drop-off in physical ability, not so much the scheme. If we had someone that could stick with the stud WR's from opposing teams, that wouldn't happen (as much).

As for the safeties, I already mentioned it in another thread - their play against Cincy was inexcusable. You have two safeties back but neither can make a play on a moonball sent to Green? Pathetic...

21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I could be wrong, and it would go against what we've known to be true about Tomlin, but the only one of those group I see maybe getting benched would be Ike. And that's a BIG maybe. Troy and Mitchell will not be benched, bank on that. They should, but won't.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Batch has flat out said that mIKE mitchell is gonna flat out be out there simply because he is making too much to sit.

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i liked the mitchell sign ...man i was wrooooooooong !!!

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Exactly. Our DBs are bad, but they have one of the most difficult jobs in the NFL with our weak pass rush. Improve the pass rush, and our DBs won't be as exposed.

25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    btw for those that loved Kenny Vaccaro and wanted the Steelers to draft him last year ... he's been benched in New Orleans.