1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could bring one Steeler great out of retirement, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I can't think of anything more exciting in this hypothetical than #88 catching passes from #7.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Well guys your suggestions are really good but I say we should bring out of retirement none other than

Wait for it :)

Pimply Dan

GO STEELERS:dancing:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    john stallworth offense. 58 on defense. :cool:

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So many great ones. But I think with our current team, Mel Blount. They changed the rules due to his play, and he adapted and still dominated. He was huge and super athletic. Have you seen him lately - even at his age he still looks like he could go out there and play.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ahem, BFT, could I see you in my office for a moment please? :rules:

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That was my thinking as well. He could still jack dudes up. I mean he wrangles cattle doesn't he?

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right, it's tough to only name one. And I kind of broke my own rule in my op by naming Lambert and Greene so I guess I have no choice but to pardon you for naming two players as well. Go on, get out of my office but I'm watching you, BFT. :eek:

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    it would be mel blount for me. he was my favorite but you young guys need to see ernie holmes. he would be a good one as well

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like Jacks rules so I am breaking them. :tomato:

I'm picking one from each decade starting with the 70's:

Rocky
    Woodson
    Llyod
    Smith

But is playing by Jacks rules, then Rocky. The man fought for our country and defied the odds to go on and be a great player. :flag: :steelflag:

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Avtually, one from each decade is a pretty good idea. Wish I'd thought of that!

13. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes sir! It WON'T happen again! LOL!

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    :this!:

Not only do we need him on the corner, but we could use his return skills, too.

1992ish Woodson.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    First thought was/is Rod Woodson. Tough vs the run, could blitz, and able enough to be hands-off yet still effective in the current pass-happy league. He would solve a lot of our concerns, as would...

Aaron Smith. He would be my second choice. Not only would he stuff the run, but Jason Worilds would more than live up to that transition contract because of #91's presence.

17. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hines. I miss his toughness and his attitude. And one more season of him lighting up a DB and smiling.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was thinking the other night how awesome it would have been for HInes to have been playing in that game. That was honestly the most fired up I've been in years and honestly thought about starting a thread to ask everyone else what the most fired up they had been during a game was. I say that because if I'M getting fired up over that game how much more would HINES have been fired up? I mean even James Harrison looked like he was having the time of his life.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'll see your 4 decades and raise you one - the 1960's, a decade that had some short-lived success in the early part - had a mountain of a defensive tackle with even a scarier name - Eugene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb - 6' 6'' and over 300 lbs and considering he played on the same line as future HOF and 1st Steeler jersey to be retired - 6' 1"' - 230 lb Ernie Stautner. Check out Big Daddy's story at the link below. It's a real sad story for a huge man of his day with so much potential.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/9/786759/remembering-steelers-big-d

20. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Nice one jack!

Hmm! This is a clever way to start several threads. Blount, Woodson, K. Greene for example.

Uhh! What positions are high are your draft list? or Where are you looking on the Free Agent market? Which position do you want to strengthen for the final PO run?

How about Alan Faneca?

I erased the explanation of the pick. Not a HOF'er I don't think or even the greatest in the past but a nice fit.

Take a look at some clips of Steeler line play in the early 2000's.

Loved all of the above of course.

21. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Not to jump on Mean Joe's band wagon but he would be my choice on defense but I could only imagine how much protection Mike Webster would give Ben.

Iron Mike would be my choice...especially if it was possible to get him on this same season as JH's return.

22. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Not to jump on Mean Joe's band wagon but he would be my choice on defense but I could only imagine how much protection Mike Webster would give Ben.

Iron Mike would be my choice...especially if it was possible to get him on this same season as JH's return.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, this is why I think Woodson and Blount are getting picked so much. If we were just wanting to see older players back, then I'd probably go for Lipps or (no surprises) Thigpen, but we're kind of fine at WR at the momemt.

If not a DB, then I'd opt for Mike Merriweather - bring back someone who deserved to win something and would be an upgrade on the current team.

(Think I may have crossed the line with Jack's rules for sure...)

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Joe Greene. It all starts up front and when Greene was on his A game he was unblockable.

25. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Exactly! I just posted that about 2 or 3 replies too early. It was getting late. I did not see Joe Green. Considering he was just honored and is frankly regarded as the well you know what the Rooneys always say. Anyway not seeing him is actually a good thing and maybe a sort of vote of confidence of some of the young players getting better each week up front.

My pick was because of something that happened before the Houston or maybe Indy game. It was Houston. Anyway I was looking for an old tape to vcr the game with. I saw one that had some old crumby movie on it and put it in the vcr. A game from early 2001 was on it. The O line was unreal.

I already posted this here. I listed the players and how they were mauling the opponent etc. But then I said: "Imagine what BB would do with that kind of protection etc."

Well, He sort of got it the past few weeks and look what happened.