1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite QB????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Oct 28, 2014.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Dont kno where to post this so srry if its a lil :offtopic: B ut i read where Ben's game ball from Colts game is now in HOF:applaud:

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well if he doesn't make it, at least his balls will be there. :roflmao:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Glad I clicked on the link. I was wondering why the hell Bens ball is next to Colin Kapernick but now I see that it's for the 700th MNF game. That is the ONLY reason anything with Colin Kapernicks name or image should be within 100 miles of the City of Canton.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Whoops!

[​IMG]

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    3 QBs during the Superbowl era has been inducted into the HOF without a SB win, Marino, Moon, Kelly, certainly a QB with two wins should be a HOFER, and for sure 1 more SB win would make Ben a lock with 3 rings, no questions asked.....

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    2 SB wins plus a 3rd appearance. Only 4th QB with 100 wins in his first 150 starts (2 are HOFers, and the third is a lock). Record for winning the most consecutive games as a rookie. Only QB to go over 500 yards in 2 games in his career. Holds every significant passing record for his franchise already.

Ben could retire this year and he'd get in the HoF. He's just padding his resume at this point.

8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The unfortunate thing is that even though Ben is putting up the stats and playing at a high level, he won't even be selected to the Pro-Bowl. Not that the Pro-Bowl means much, but it does show public perception of players.

Manning
    Luck
    Brady
    Rivers
    Possibly Flacco

They will all get higher votes than Ben.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing unfortunate about it. They're getting (or will get) the nod ahead of him because their play has been better this year. It's not like it comes down to pure luck. Brady, Manning, Luck and Rivers have played better this year.

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Great post. Ben is an enigma. When he's on, he plays at a HOF level, but for whatever reason the guy can't put up points consistently. Even with a strong running game were still struggling to score points, something that's been the case for Ben's entire career.

I won't get into the elite question because I don't really know what elite means. Ben is better than most QB's in the league. In my eyes, Rodgers, Brady, Manning and Luck are in a league of their own. Brees and Ben are in the next tier

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Disagree. Some years, but not this year.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    To each their own. I just think the lack of TD's is what puts him slightly behind those guys this year.

13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    How about less INTs than Luck and Rivers.
    How about more YPG than Brady and Rivers
    How about a higher completion percentage than Brady, Luck, and Rivers
    How about a higher YPA than Brady and Luck
    How about a higher QB rating than Brady and Luck

Don't know why you choose to focus solely on TDs. Probably because it is the only metric when Ben is last of the 5.

Ben is clearly out playing Brady and Luck this year. Manning is the only QB who is clearly out playing him. So far it's between Ben and Rivers for #2 in the AFC.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure yet I am willing to admit that he changed how the position is played. I will give all the credit in the world for Bens accomplishments .. He has worked hard and has an amazing talent.

Two QBs that come to mind with similar play were McNabb and Favre... Have to give those guys respect when talking about how the position has changed.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting. Maybe my perception of what has been happening in our games has clouded my judgment a bit and maybe I need to look at the stats closer. I can admit when I'm wrong and I might be wrong about those guys outplaying him this year. I want to look at all the stats myself though

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Interestingly, PFF has Ben ranked highest for the year FWIW.

[​IMG]

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TTF, I find it interesting that Russell Wilson is rated lower than 17 on that list. I know he is more known for being a great leader rather than a great QB, but I still thought he would be higher on that list.

19. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    100% agreed.Ben may not be the poster child quarterback but I do believe he is as good and better in many other ways than stats can measure. Ben has an awkwardness to his athleticism that throws people a curve but whether scrambling, pocket passing or being the tough guy taking the sack, I wouldn't want any other current "Elise" in our uniform.

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You are right, this will be brought up when it comes to his HOF ballot. However, people forget that Peyton Manning also had something bubble up from his past. During his second year with the Colts, a story came out that while he was at Tennessee, Peyton and a few teammates decided to have a "little" fun with a female reporter. The other guys held her down while Peyton allegedly dropped his pants and sat on her face. Will we hear about this when Peyton's name appears on the ballot? Probably not, because he is the face of the NFL Elite player. Will it be brought up about Brett Favre texting a picture of his genitals to a reporter while he was with the Jets? These two will be first ballot inductees. As should Ben.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And today is a good example of why Ben is not "Elite". Some days horrible. Some days fantastic. On average, pretty good. But not "Elite".

Glad we have him.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and last week is another good example of why Peyton Manning is not elite. He's 11-5 against the Pats and he came out after the game and flat out said that he "stunk". It is extremely reasonable to assume that Ben is gonna come out and throw 6tds a week. One game is also a PERFECT way to gauge whether someone is elite or not. Tom Brady is not elite either because earlier this year he was playing horrible and if he was elite he wouldn't do that. Drew Brees is not elite either because his numbers are actually a lot less than Ben's this year. Yeah. One game tells the tale ya know? Excellent analysis.

23. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't buy into the elite talk, but I think you can admit Ben is much more inconsistent than Brady and Peyton. Heck, Ben was pretty average this year before those last 2 games. His post was pretty accurate.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not according to that chart.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No because it is a TEAM game. When Brady's play was lacking his line was a mish mash of crap. Then the line gets fixed and he's back to his old dominant ways again. Ben's line was giving him time and he was killing people. Today he had dudes in his face all day and there was just nothing he could do. If you remember Peyton whining in 05 it was because of his line. Ben NEVER does that. I wish he would sometimes but that is probably selfish from me because I want to vicariously yell at the line. Ben has so many intangibles that set him apart. Yes he is elite. One bad game does not an UN-elite qb make. Do you not consider Brees elite? He's 4-5 this year. I hardly ever get in to these debates but it is just beyond asinine to point to ONE game to say he's not elite JUST as much as it would be asinine to point to one game to say that he IS elite.