1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Garrett did it, Tomlin can.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Be honest, how many of you that are calling for Tomlins head would have stood behind Garrett?

Is there anyone here that could say with a straight face that they thought Garrett is a good coach?

I thought of this when they were talking about him on First Take and the job he's done turning it around. And he's got Jones for an owner.

There is something to be said about stability, Tomlin is 2 years, maybe even 3 years into rough waters by the time this season transpires, that's not very long. Yes, you might get lucky and get results like Harbaugh did in San Fran, exceptions don't make the rule. Most likely, you'll go through decades of losing like the Browns or Raiders.

The bigger question than Tomlins coaching skills, is have they drafted well these past two years? That, is what will determine if they climb out of this. I forget the specific names that they were discussing with the Cowboys, but one of the key pieces they said was they took a guard that pulled the line together. A great line makes everything else easier.

We definitely need to find a premier LT.

2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    They took Zach Martin as a guard out of Notre Dame one pick after we took Shazier. We'd be looking at a different season altogether had we switched those two picks. Everyone keeps saying we can't spend another high pick on the OLine, but I think we have to. Gilbert and Adams were whiffs. We still have no tackles. In all honesty we still need to draft a LT and a LG.

3. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't buy that. The O Line from Pro Football Focus is actually right now one of the better lines in the league. What they are doing running the ball can be attributed at least somewhat to them, though Bell has created plenty on his own. Keep in mind you can basically attribute 1/4 to 1/3 of all the sacks to Ben holding the ball too long. I would love to have a stud LT, but you only get those usually drafting in the Top 10. Shazier was not a bad pick and he is a guy with his speed who should be able to cover tight ends and cover the field laterally. Personally I would have liked to see them take Fuller, but he was gone at 14, after that I would have liked to see them trade down and get another third or late second.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

What at I heard on the radio today the difference between the cowboys this year and the Steelers is that the Cowboys offensive and defense line draft picks have made positive impacts. Where the Steelers offense and defense line draft picks have not measured up on what they thought. Hence the line dominance of the Cowboys versus the Steelers.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh thats right. I think Shazier will be a good player for us, maybe even great but I wouldn't have minded getting either of the guys who ended up going right before us and behind us, Fuller and Martin. I wasn't sold on spending another 1st rd pick on a lineman but if there is a LT there next draft, I'll be on board.

Yes, the saying that games are won in the trenches, is true. We desperately have to improve there.

6. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I think the screw up of signing Cam Thomas is going to be a resounding problem throughout the season. The way teams are running on is with the zone, you have to have a D Line that stays square and strings out the running back, with Thomas the guy is getting turned so quickly on a lot of plays that it creates a train wreck for the others like Heyward and BK and they have hard time staying upright.

As I noted in my previous post, the O Line is playing well, not awesome, but the team is moving the ball - they just aren't scoring and I think that has more to do w/play calling by Haley and/or Ben along with some receiver miscues than it does with the line.

7. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How can our online be ranked that high. They cannot pass block. Anytime we take more than a three step quick throw drop we get sacked or pressured right now.

8. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Because we are running the ball exceptionally well and also a fair amount of sacks are due to the way Ben holds the ball so long.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They may be improved at run blocking but they still suck at pass blocking, just have to watch a game to see that.

10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I know we've spent four 1st and 2nd round picks on the Online, but only two of them are good. The two tackles are not. That is why we must draft the position high again.

The difference between our line and the Cowboys is the tackle position. They spent a first round pick on a center that panned out (Frederick kid from Wisconsin, I think), so did we (pouncey). They spent a first round pick on a guard that panned out (Martin from ND), so did we (decastro). They spent the number 7 pick overall on the best tackle in his draft class (Tyron Smith from USC) that worked out big time, we... um... well we spent a couple second round picks on a couple of duds.

I know we need DB's but I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted OT and OLG early again this year. We need a whole left side of the line.

11. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    "Jason Garrett came in with a philosophy. He knew what team he wanted and what players to get. Now that's paying off." - Cris Carter, on Mike & Mike, 10/13/14

That statement tells us the difference between Garrett and Tomlin.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The excuses are endless :lolol:

No one was talking about that philosophy before this season, just that he shouldn't be the HC of the Cowboys.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well they've played a few games and have a good record but let's not forget they have Tony Romo. LOL. I wouldn't take Garrett over Tomlin and I know you wouldn't either. I do hope that Tomlin can turn things around though. Obviously.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chris Carter is nuts.
    The Offensive play calling was taken away from him. Jones hired-moved around 2 coordinators that are running the show.
    Jones calls all the shots.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. Had we taken a G instead of Shazier, there would be the same posts deploring our lack of speed at LB. (Admittedly, this is still a problem, but injuries haven't helped).

For me, the problems on offense are largely fixable (though LT is a long term need). On defense, we need someone better than Cam Thomas and someone better than the whole secondary, which is a less easily fixable issue.

16. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Garrett hasn't done anything yet.

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I was about to say ... get back to me with this at the end of the season. So far they are just 5-1.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They are playing really good football, just beat Seattle at their place no less.

If Tomlin was 5-1, Del would be about the only one calling for his job.

19. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I could care less what the Cowboys are doing and, to be honest, I haven't watched them enough to have an opinion on Jason Garrett.

What I would love to know is WHAT exactly is Tomlin doing that makes you back him so much? I am being completely serious here and not trying to be *****y. What am I missing? How do you watch what happened on Sunday and has been a pattern for this team for three seasons now and not want to can the guy? I would just like to point out that I wanted Tomlin when we were looking for a coach. I have not been a MT hater from the get go.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So maybe Jerry is the one that deserves all the credit. And the natural deduction would be that Art Rooney II needs to get more involved? :shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats the point of this thread Fear, Garrett has been worse then Tomlin has been, and works for an organization that makes it much harder to succeed. If he was our coach, you'd all want him canned too and youd have been wrong because that team has turned it around.

Tomlin has had two 8-8 seasons, I'm not counting this season a bust until its over and we see where they finish. You have to give coaches time to work through these things, 2 seasons is not a long time to put a new team together. For me, next season is the year I will start to waver if they aren't playing better football.

Do you think Seattle built that team over night? Takes years. We still need another draft to address some more areas and then hope we've hit on enough picks recently to field a competent football team.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And the Steelers organization makes it easier to succeed, yet Tomlin is failing miserably. :hmmm:

23. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I cant even imagine being a Browns fan - year after year being bad. I just don't know that I would still be watching football. I have to give their fans some props for hanging in there. I guess my issue is that I am not convinced that its a rebuilding year- again. I am not convinced that, with some changes, we wouldn't be more successful.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Garrett had three 8-8 seasons, with a QB that is a very good during the regular season. This season, 5-1 and just beat Seattle in their building. Hmm, the similarities are striking :hmmm:

Maybe just maybe, I'm not a total loon and the Steelers put it all together next season :wizard:

25. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    If you are right, you better believe I will be the FIRST one to give you the props you so totally will deserve :smiley1: