1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this years 3-3, worse than last yrs 2-4?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Fans are funny, but so is my memory.

but it seems to me that Steeler Nation is more despondent on the prospects of this years 3-3 team than they were a yr ago at 2-4. I see waaaay more Fire Tomlin, Fire Haley post than a yr ago. The fan base seems more down on the the team now.

Am I sensing this wrong? And if not why is this yr worse?

is it that this is the 3rd yr of so-so performance that has depressed the fans?
    is it this start after the 6-2 finish last yr?
    has denial, anger given way to depression and acceptance?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For me it's the continuation of ineptitude that really started with failures in some puzzling losses in 2012, and then continued into the utter disaster that was last season. Our coaches seem to have no clue how to get this team to perform to its ability, and if the tailspin continues, it's time for new leadership IMO.

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. This team started to descend about 3 years ago...then the Denver playoff loss was the beginning of the tailspin. Now they're just in a kamikaze nosedive to Hell!

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think it's more of a reactional let down. Started crappy and finished strong last season. I, like probably most other fans, thought that the team would pick up how the left off at the end of last season. Instead we're in the same boat which if we do make a run then it will be another reliance upon other teams to help us in. We seen this movie before.

5. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Yup, and as long as Tomlin is here, we best get used to watching rerun after rerun !! :facepalm:

scruffy

6. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I believe we will finish strong and the Rooney's will forgive the ****ty start (Pardon my French). This is unacceptable wins and losses aside the lack of heart and discipline is the principle to me.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Combination of continuation and lack of inspiration for me.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Added to that, there are glimpses of what the team could be. The first half against Cleveland (first time round) seemed that we were doing just what you said - picking up from where we left off. The Carolina game ditto. Then there are just the utter collapses in between.

Unlike some, I don't see the same lacklustreness this year than I have done in previous seasons. For me, the 0-4 hurt more because the team just didn't seem to give a **** about what they were doing. I don't see that this year so much (though as I say, I know some do). Instead I see them frustrated that things aren't working like they should. Part of that is age (some players aren't as good as they used to be), part of it is ability (some players aren't that good). Part of it is trying to be too clever with the plays and play-calling, and part of it is not buckling down and getting the basics right.

So 3-3 probably feels better to me than 0-4. At the moment, at least. But it's not much of better feeling...

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought about this more. Last year we started 2-4 but showed signs of getting better, which we did. This year we are 3-3 but are showing signs of getting worse. To me, that is the difference.

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Here are the starts for the last 3 seasons.
    2012 ; 3-3
    2013 ; 2-4
    2014 ; 3-3

I think it points more to the preparedness of this team coming out of training camp. One bad start every few years is a concern. 3 years in a row is a pattern.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We barely beat Cleveland in Pittsburgh and we barely beat Jax. Yeah, we're a pretty bad 3-3

12. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Agree.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You know Blast asked me the other night if I felt last year the team needed a come to Jesus moment to get it together and make a run and I never got the chance to answer him so I will answer it here. Last year I even with the start of the season I didn't feel like the team needed to swallow the egos and buy in and pull together, you could see that Ben was starting to see the wisdom of the quick passing game, Bell was sowing flashes, Heath was just getting back to form, i could tell they could put it all together. This year the team just looks like it is all over the place, you can definitely see that if everyone got on the same page they could make some noise, but I see to much of "me" instead of a lot of "us". I don't know maybe they do need to threaten to fire Lebeau if only to get the team behind something, to rally to something, because putting on the black and gold doesn't seem to be doing it.