1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher and Ward: Steelers are soft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 14, 2014.

1. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    We just have to get to our game.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, now Jack Lambert has chimed in...

[video=youtube;IxDUCaUYhnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDUCaUYhnw[/video]

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dungy won a Super Bowl so what if his style of play was considered soft, and Lovie Smith Chicago teams weren't soft.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Quote from Miller:

“We’re searching for answers,” Miller said. “Obviously, we have to execute better down there. All we can do is try to execute the plays we’re given the best we can, and that should be our focus in this locker room.”

Ahhhh! It's spreading. Tomlin speak is contagious.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds like Heath doesn't like the play calling either.

7. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    SEE!!! Tomlin IS rubbing off on them.:lolol:

8. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    And the fact that Tomlin "took it with a grain of salt" says a ton in my opinion.

9. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!: I read this to , the more this man talk's /coache'[s the more i want to go to his house and beat the snot out of him.. :rant:..... i think we need a sticky on here that says .. tuck fomlin lol

11. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't stellar in the Orton/Grossman years where the QB playing each week was based on who sucked less the previous one. ;)

12. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    If that's the type of year-in, year-out underachievement you aspire too, go right ahead and wish Tomlin is the next coming of Dungy and Smith.

How many home playoff games as favorite did Dungy lose? Somehow Manning is criticized for his lack of playoff success, but Dungy gets a pass?

Dungy is GROSSLY overrated and this team hired Tomlin partly based on Dungy's recommendation of him. (Dungy also recommended Vick be given a 2nd chance too even if he's the most overrated QB ever to play).

There's a pattern here. Dungy and his soft Tampa and Indy teams, Smith and Chicago (watch that Jerome Bettis clip of him running over Urlacher a few times), Herm Edwards and his complete and utter dismantling of both the Jets and Kansas City. Marinelli's 10-38 record with Detroit.

Show me an example of a Dungy disciple BUILDING something (and not on the coattails of Peyton Manning)? Show me a Dungy disciple that left the team better than when he found it? Show me a Dungy disciple that isn't more talk than substance? Even Dungy pontificates his religious, holier-than-thou B.S. half the time. Listen to the drivel Edwards spews on ESPN. If that kind of hollow motivation crap is your idea of coaching, Tomlin is your man through-and-through.

Tomlin is running this ship into the ground and Colbert is too gutless and soft and a company man to do anything about it.

I can only hope and pray Art Rooney II spends enough time in the building to see what's going on and take care of it sooner rather than later. Because it's going to happen.

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Guess this is a bad time to give up drinking :shots:

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The defense has lost their edge. Part of it was lost when the NFL started fining players for hitting other players too hard. The steelers didn't adjust and ended up getting penalties and fines. While other teams, who obviously have favor with the NFL, are still able to hit hard without having penalties or fines levied against them. The other part to how the D lost its edge was replacements that aren't as good as who they replaced. Perhaps, DL system isn't the problem, he's just trying to have lesser players do what greater players did 6 years ago. Just as we need a new tackling strategy that nests with NFL rules, we need a new system that works to the strength of the players we have, not the players we had.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think the coach you are looking for exists. You find ways to tear down every successful coach. It's so hard to win the SB and you dismiss that, should a team win a SB every year? What constitutes a successful coach in your opinion? Belechick? Don't think anyone can describe him as soft, hasn't won anything in a decade.

The odds are so stacked against getting to and winning the SB and there are things outside your control that will determine it, injuries, poor weather, a lucky bounce. In a 1 and done playoff format, the best team doesn't always win.

I honestly don't think your coach exists.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Agree, Tomlin doesn't know how to pick tough football players. Remember when he first got here when he got the guard he knew from his Tampa days. He was so bad and soft, I was thinking then did he not see him play in Tampa! I think he is just not a good evaluator of tough football players and we are seeing the effects of that in today's team and prior draft picks.

This is is also the reason he keeps bringing back ex Steeler players to play because he is not good at getting new blood, also I think that is why he has a hard time bringing up rookies quicker. This was the first year that I know of that he actually started the no. 1 draft pick at the beginning of the season.

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    who cares what they say. I mean it aint like they lit it up every year. I think we were pretty soft when we had maddox

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Many like to bring up the fact that Belichick "hasn't won anything in a decade". While it's true that they haven't won the Super Bowl in a decade I think people are being intellectually dishonest and spinning the discussion when they make comments like this. The fact is that they have been to multiple Super Bowls in the last decade. They've won multiple AFC championships in the last decade. They are usually a pre-season write-in to win the AFC East. They ALWAYS seem to be in contention. Do they have games in which they get trounced like they did a couple of weeks ago by the Chiefs? Sure they do. And how did they respond to that? "We're on to Cincinnati" x20! That's how they responded. The fact is that Belichick SAID little and DID much and they've demolished the Bengals and the Bills since then to reestabliah themselves as a preeminent force in the AFC! Tomlin, on the other hand, SAYS much and DOES little and we continue to underwhelm and disappoint. That's what a successful coach does. He puts his team in the best possible position to win and he responds aggressively when it doesn't happen!

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Jack, we were 12-4 and many said that was a failure, why is it different for Belechick? Is not the goal to win SB's? Who has more in the last decade? Tomlin or Belechick?

Also, my comment was to Del, for discrediting Dungy, he has had as many shiny season records as dark hoodie but Dungy is the failure?

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought it was "Darth Hoodie" ?

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, what we'd all give for that kind of "failure" today.

The goal is to win Super Bowls. But first, the head coach has to put the team in position to win the Super Bowl. Belichick does that year in and year out. Tomlin seems to have lost his way.

22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought we have learned to unleash hell in April?

23. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Sean Mahan ... :noose:

24. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    ---How would last weeks effort vs Cleve move them up in the standings?

25. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I have found my soul mate on this board ;) THIS is exactly what I would have said except you beat me to it!