1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the NUMBER ONE problem for this football team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 12, 2014.

1. The head coach

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. The coordinators/assistant coaches

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Talent at key positions

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. Poor drafting/free agent signings

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. The GM

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we don't outscore our opponents.:cool:

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's exactly the option I was gonna ask for. However, when the rubber meets the road, players go where they are called to go. I don't like to compare players, no matter how good they are, to soldiers because I feel it dishonors our troops to do so. But, ultimately, players are drafted and rosters are put together by coaches and GMs. So if a team has a lack of talent it is because the people building the team are lacking as well. Whenever my supervisors complain about worthless employees and then try to blame the union for them I always remind them that they had a probationary period to evaluate the people and they chose to give them a job. So I don't feel sorry from them when they whine because ultimately it was their fault for giving bums a job. I don't feel sorry for ANY coach on this team. They are paid VERY well to do a job and if they aren't cutting it they should suffer the consequences. No matter WHO they are.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    BUT they DID institute Steely McBeam so it's not as if they've done NOTHING to stop this. So I say TTF if WAY off base for even SUGGESTING them and as a matter of fact I am demanding that he remove that post! LOL!

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well we DO outscore them. Just not for a complete 4 quarter period. I mean we outscored TB MOST of the game. Just not ALL of the game. We outscored the clowns a whopping 3-0 yesterday and WOULD have been 6-0 if not for that meddlesome snapper. LOL!

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I say FTRI ( Fire the Rooneys Immediately) Oh wait ..

6. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The General Manager.

Colbert is just a glorified, yes-man scout with no authority or evaluation skill to understand this organization top-to-bottom. He is not effectively understanding how Tomlin is performing his job (or for that matter the other coaches) nor effectively understanding what needs to change.

The lack of leadership really starts at Art Rooney and his laissez-faire management of the team, but because Colbert is unqualified to be the strong leader of the front office, we are rudderless with too many "decisions by committee" and too many voices (4 ex-head coaches on the staff and a GM that has pandered to head coaches his whole career).

Too many times we've see drafts contain those picks that seem specific to one staff member as a "favor" or "carrot". Too many times we've seen disconnect in game plans and completely different approaches week-to-week.

That shows me there are too many voices. Too many idea and not effective leadership.

Tomlin might just not be able to handle all the ex-head coaches on his staff at this point. And I'm 99% sure Colbert isn't helping.

7. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My choice is not up there. Chemistry. There is not a sense of team with this group. It is truly like a business right now. They come to work, collect their pay check and go home. We used to perform better than our talent on the field and it was due to the fact that players were playing for each other. I don't see it. I don't see any sort of team or sense of urgency. I noticed several times on Sunday how no one was talking to each other on the sideline. Something has fractured this locker room and it has been a problem for more than just this year. I am not sure what Ward and Smith did in that locker room to keep the sense of unity but since they have left the Steelers have not been the same.

As a coach you can have the best gameplan and the best players but if there is no chemistry and no sense of team those first two items mean zero.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So how did you vote? Sounds like you're leaning toward coaches but did you vote head coach or coordinators and assistants? Or was it the GM?

Geez, BFT, don't be so dang ambiguous. ;)

9. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just for what its worth - the average score of the non-loosing teams this week was 31 points. This was also the median score.

Your offense needs to be able to score points to win in this league.

The average score of teams that did not win was 19.375 points (median was 18.5).

Our offense only outscored 2 teams this week - Giants (0), and Vikings (3).

Every other team (win or loss) scored more than the Steelers.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually forgot to vote! I always do that with these polls. LOL! I actually wound up picking Talent though because when we had a talented defense we were not only good but we were great. I just think that even DL can't do anything with these guys. Which could also be poor drafts and signings. Which could also be the coach and which could also be the GM. LOL. I just really don't know what the ONE issue is and honestly would say it is all of the above.

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll bet you're one of those "undecided" voters they are still polling the morning of a presidential election, aren't ya? ;)

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    NEVER! LOL! I'm actually a really early decider. I know who I want for 2016 already and have for about 2yrs. HA! As far as who I would vote for to replace Tomlin that would be tough. I just really don't know. I'm getting impatient with him though and really the whole staff. This is one of the most rag tag teams we have seen in a while.

13. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    thats the exact answer i was thinking. it should be added to the options.

14. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    That answer qualifies you to be our next head coach.

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Thought about that, but I didn't want to give voters an easy way out. We could all say that "all of the above" has contributed, but I'm looking for what we all think is THE NUMBER ONE REASON why we're struggling. There has to be a number one reason. If we can't, or more importantly, the Rooneys can't figure that out they won't know where to start when it comes to getting the team out of its current state.

16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :lolol:

17. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    It wouldn't matter. Dallas let Seattle put up 23 points. Ben and the offense can't match that. :lolol:

18. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Agreed. I've been saying for a while now that a team needs to be ready to put up about 30 points to get a victory over most teams. And even then you could end up in a shootout in the 4th for the win.

19. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    And that was in garbage time.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's a lack of talent on defense as stated by the media that covers the team, they have no pro bowl caliber players on defense. When Colbert uses 3 first round picks and a second round pick on their starters at LBs, this unit should be dominant but they're just average.

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    why wasn't all the above a choice?

22. MikeReid

MikeReid New Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Where do you start. Coaching- Tomlin is over his head. Haley is a never was and LeBeau is in the pre senility stage. The defense is softer than a case of Charmin and Palamalou needs more than a haircut to increase his speed. Rooney is out of touch. The Steelers have become the Browns and the Browns are starting to look like the Steelers of old. Hell must be starting to freeze over and Steelers fans better start investing in down coats if the trend continues.

23. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the biggest problem is that we can't stop the run with our front 7. As a result, we must commit a safety to keep from getting gashed in the run game (Troy). This leads to less safety help on the back-end, which exposes our less than good corner play and results in explosive plays against us.

24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well said, and a choice I was surprised to see missing from the list. Not that it's all on Colbert - I agree with many of the comments on Art II here as well - but his inability to find a cohesive direction from which to structure his player acquisition/retention decisions has resulted in the hodgepodge unit so inconsistently able to perform in their respective schemes. The offseason extensions given to Gilbert and Allen were the latest head-shakers from Colbert for me.

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    See above.