1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BEN....$100MM Man

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelburgh, Oct 12, 2014.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Nah. OC draws up a play to get them open. WRs get open. QB delivers the ball. Other teams to it all the time. If Wes Welker could do it, then so can AB, Wheaton, Bell and Miller.

2. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I doubt he has a trade clause...but he has one year left. So he colds the trade cards. No team will give up significant picks for a QB that isn't willing to sign long-term post trade. So, in a sense, he does have no trade clause. it's the i wont singn with you long-term clause....so the trade partner would be paying a lot for a one year rental.

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    As a general rule, tall receivers (WR/TE) score a disproportionate percentage of TDs in the redzone ... particularly the closer you get to the goal line.

4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd sure like him to find a way to score more than 10 points in a game for that kind of money. We just got spanked by Hoyer, who has a second job bagging groceries at Giant Eagle just to make ends meet.

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    A left tackle and a left guard.

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'm not saying we should trade Ben, but if we wanted to I bet that both he and Bruce Arians would welcome a reunion and give us the picks we would demand.

7. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    At the risk of sounding redundant: Mariota, Mariota, Mariota

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Isn't he a little guy?

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    exatcly what i think too

10. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I haven't seen the stats so I'm not going to argue that point with you. Although, I am interested in reading more about it. Do you have any links?

Beyond that, the point is a top QB doesn't need the extra size on WRs/TEs because he knows how to pass the ball in coverage.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know this is totally hypothetical.
    But what you figure the Steelers could realistically get for Ben if they traded him in the off season??

My guess is that it'd be a whole lot less than a lot of fans think (and not enough for fans to be happy with the deal).

A 33yr old QB who has taken a career beating, being dealt in a buyers market (which it would be if the Steelers decide they want cap room or to go in a different direction.)

You might get a 1st round pick, you absolutely wouldn't get two. When the Pats traded Bledsoe to Buffalo before the '02 draft, they got a first rounder in 2003. Bledsoe was only 30.

my guess is that even if the Steelers really wanted to trade Ben, they'd not find the return to their liking.

12. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I feel you there. For real. :lolol:

13. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Initially, I'd think you were right. But there are several teams that would want a good QB. Good QBs are hard to come by in the NFL. Ben might demand a fair trade value based on his rep.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There's plenty of talent around Ben,it's either him or the coaches or both as to the reason why this offense is so terrible. You can't blame the offensive line any more either, not when you have two RBs averaging 5yds a carry and their pass protection is also much improved. You know how I know it's not the talent? Just picture any of the top QBs with a running game this effective,the two backs we have and a top 5 WR and a damn good TE. There are plenty of other QB and coach tandems doing more with a lot less. Hmmmm.........

15. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    That O-Line becomes quite vanilla when inside the 20. They were folding yesterday which is why Bell/Blount couldn't blast up the middle. They should script plays to have them bounce outside or run PA when in the red zone.

16. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Think that answers the question whether the Steelers should pay him $100M

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They would be able to franchise him in 2016.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If they keep this up, we won't have to trade to get Mariotta. I think he'll be a good'n but probably not with our current staff at the helm.

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They should extended his contract instead of Allen and Gilbert

20. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't have a link to that.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but this show the "most efficient" redzone producers among WRs last season ... http://fflockerroom.com/2014/07/16/top-20-redzone-producing-wide-receivers-from-2013/

On that list, aside from Welker, every other WR in the top 10 was 6'1 or taller.

And also measuring "redzone efficiency" from another source ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46279/311/wr-size--and--red-zone-efficiency

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Size can only help, but we had a Burress, a draft pick I'll leave nameless, a Moye, and now a Bryant and Brown. Not too mention a Heath and a big ass Spaeth. Same unenthusiastic redzone results regardless. These big bodies aren't being utilized in some of these situations or even seeing the field in the same situations. Apparently these guys aren't being put in a good spot, or aren't even given a hat to try to be put in said spot.

Height would help I think, but apparently we don't know how to use it.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    or are willing too. even with time running down before half, all I could think was we have two of the fastest guys in the league, why not just send them deep and hope they can outrun everyone to the EZ. isn't something like that worth a shot once in awhile?:cool:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't have any data to back this up, but it seems to me that they don't throw into the endzone very often, thats where the size will help.

24. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    You can hardly count Burress. He spent 1 season with Ben before we decided not to re-sign him, and then he was a 35 year old man who never played when he came back. Moye doesn't play, and Bryant still hasn't suited up.

Not to mention, it's is implied that big means big and talented, not just any old big stiff.

25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Here's the problem: This team needs to be rebuilt. But yet, by the time this is done, our QB will be looking at retirement. Do you know how hard it's going to be to find a decent QB? It's hard for me to say, but I think we have to let Ben go and invest the next 3 to 4 years on the rest of the team while searching for our next franchise QB. Just look at what Seattle has done. Wilson is one of the lowest paid starting QB's in the league and the rest of the team is better for it.