1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Steelers head coach for 2015

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Oct 12, 2014.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah man, great post. Without a few down years, the successful years kind of lose some significance, as long as the down years remain short-lived!

If we do end up going in a different direction for HC, I don't even know where to begin. Munchak? Without knowing the intricacies of what goes on behind closed doors, I think that we should afford Tomlin the same benefit we gave Cowher, in that he (Tomlin) should be able to work with a new GM. Let LeBeau "retire", terminate the contract of Colbert, and let Tomlin be the Captain of the ship. With DL and Colbert out of the picture, it allows Tomlin to build the team the way he sees fit, which I think would be a good thing. This based on the assumption that Tomlin's power is somewhat limited. Not cool to fire a guy until he's given the chance to be the HEAD coach, and I think TOmlin is at that point in his career where he should be given that chance. Again, just assuming he's not.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    USA Today Sports:

While the Cleveland Browns continue rising on the strength of young talent, the Pittsburgh Steelers team they routed 31-10 just looks old, particularly on Defense. That shouldn't be a huge surprise given the ages of some of their defenders they are relying on, but the last 3 weeks have provided plenty of warning signs.Browns QB Hoyer only had to complete 8 passes to rack up 217 yards through the air.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And just who is your insider in the front office telling you that tomlin isnt being allowed to be the head coach?????

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would either do a full house cleaning or let the new GM decide. You handcuff the new GM if you force the head coach on him.

5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    This gets me the most - our 10 yard db cushions still weren't enough to stop vertical routes. We have vets that should not be fooled 3 times on the roll-out pass back across the field play.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this could be right in theory but i would bring a new gm that has already in mind a real head coach . tomlin is useless we will lose another year

8. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Part of it also has to do with contract.

I think we have 2 more years on Colbert's deal and 3 more years on Tomlin's (I think).

I can live with eating contract money on both for 2 years each. And I think there are some advantages to having a GM come in and watch/listen to whats going on to identify the REAL problem.

When you wipe everything clean, there's a tied-together image of the new GM and new coach. If one fails, they both fail. I really just want a GENERAL MANAGER. Not a scout. I want someone that is prepared to THINK THROUGH THE ISSUES and recreate the Steelers Program that will succeed in the new NFL. I don't want a GM that already knows who "his coach" will be. I don't want that type of relationship. I still think it's the ROONEYS that decide the new coach, not the GM. And we need a capable GM to help them decide what to do. Maybe Tomlin can be that, but it will take a LOT of changes to how things are structured right now.

I think it's a total cluster-F and the wheels are coming off and Tomlin's over his head.

Basically, when you bring in a new GM, you are DEMOTING Tomlin and his power in the organization. Maybe he can deal with that, maybe he throws a hissy fit and asks to be fired. I don't know.

All I know is the power structure and cooperation between Tomlin and Colbert is not working.

The purpose of a GM is not to hand pick "his guy" and become a tag-team of success/failure. I want a GM that understands it's his job to FIND the right guy for the STEELERS JOB based on what we have on the roster, how the roster can be built and how to get the most out of what we have over the next decade.

9. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For the love of all, STOP! Tomlin is not going anywhere. This year we will be close to the same as the past two. Not exactly 1-15. We will definitely have a new OC and DC but nothing more. Tomlin will be here next year, so get used to it. If the team, after switching coordinators slides to 2-5 wins then let the talks begin, but he's here and not leaving soon.

10. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I disagree. I think a losing season puts him square at 50-50 to be fired. And maybe or maybe not Colbert goes with him.

I think the Rooneys are (hopefully) as smart as us and see what is going on with this team and it's degradation.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would not say he is a lock to be our coach next year. There is alot of anger right now and subpar performances from players which are better then they appear on the field. At least on paper.

It might be Tomlins last year if he has another 8-8 or worse. Another year without playoffs is not the Standard we are accustom to seeing lol

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wishful thinking for you guys. He won't be fired. Unlike fans, the Rooneys will not make excuses for Tomlins successes.

As Badboy said, get used to it.

13. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    too many of us fans wear black n gld glasses. Did you really believe this team could win a SB with a 36 yr old OLB signed a few weeks ago and a DE who is just as old signed prior to week one? We have done zero to correct our secondary, and it's not like TP found the fountain of youth. It would make a great movie if they did win the SB but this is real life, and there is zero chance of that happening. In the off season you will see a new OC and DC for sure. Might even see Colbert get his walking papers? Somebody has to be accountable for the awful draft picks over the last 7 years, and it might be him? Tomlin will be here, and you can mark it down, regardless if most approve or not. If this team regresses to become a 2-4 game winner than he would be gone, but this season is not all on him. He doesn't make all th decisions and the Rooneys know that because they know who we have on the roster. The Rooneys signed the players! New coordinators may help but the talent on this team in most positions is average for now. Is there talent? Yes, but not enough to make up the difference.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I never said anything about a Superbowl.. Pfft .. we are so far from being a superbowl caliber team its not even funny. Tomlin is the leader of this team and either he is making bad decisions or making no decisions at all. Good leaders make decisions.

This is on other personnel as well but mostly just on Tomlin .. As I said I dont see him here if we finish less then 8-8.. You will see .. Mark my words. Firing Tomlin is only a start . There are others that should be shown the door but its a good start.

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lol, no one, which is why I twice said I was making an assumption!

16. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    True, Tomlin is in charge, and I too wondered how much control he has? He did say he wanted to run the ball, and they were doing it well yesterday, but some of those calls at times were awful. I have to wonder how and what Haley says in response to the criticism of the offense. Lack of execution is the popular phrase today, but where was the "no huddle" yesterday to get the flow going? I mean, if Haley called the long passes on those 3rd and short plays he should answer to that by the coach. With all of these WRs we have one would think they would short route pass all the way down the field? I think this post should have been titled Who is the next OC?

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Munch might not be a bad choice, he wasn't fired for his coaching skills, he was fired because he wouldn't fire his coaching staff.

I agree that if Tomlin doesn't have full control, he should get that chance before parting ways with him.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The last OL the Steelers hired to be their head coach turned out pretty well as is evidenced by his 4 Lombardi Trophies.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Only way Tomlin gets fired is if players in the locker room start to revolt, which I don't see happening.

Remember this is the Rooney's after all too.

20. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Can he run up the middle? If not, he's not a candidate.

There's no scenario where I consider the Rooneys will fire Tomlin, not a real a possibility after this season. But, if somehow we are looking for a coach, he'll be the clear front-runner.

Exactly this.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was also gonna say Harbaugh and I can't stand that guy! LOL! I honestly don't think it will be anybody but Tomlin and would literally be stunned, I mean Stone Cold Stunned, I mean Stunning Steve Stunned, if Tomlin is not the coach after this year.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I can not tell you how many times I've thought this and I'm a 3-4 guy. I just think that Tomlin honestly wants to go to a 4-3 and has drafter accordingly. We know that he personally prefers it but the Rooney's pretty much made him keep DL. I would kill to have Dan Quinn as our DC if DL is gonna "retire" or whatever. I don't think we need to promote from within for DC because I want the cushion to go the way of the dinosaur and would like to see us start drafting guys that are gonna get after the dang quarterback.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    We keep drafting these 4-3 guys and continue to run a 3-4. We are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and I am still not convinced that they have learned this isn't working. I've always loved the 3-4 but if we are going to draft 4-3 guys let's make the switch. Heck, I might learn to love the 4-3 if we can stop people. I mean, we were torched on 7 passes, really? I'm the biggest homer fan here and even I am losing faith (I will watch them no matter their record though)!

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've honestly always felt like I will never be able to truly evaluate Tomlin until I see him without a franchise qb. I WILL say though that once the Landry Jones pick was announced I feel like I got my answer to his ability to evaluate a qb. If they drafted him to think that he could eventually be Ben's replacement then I have no confidence in Tomlin to ever have a successful team without Ben and you know I'm not really a "fire Tomlin" kind of guy. I also have always wanted to see Tomlin without DL. Not that I'm saying I want DL gone but just that I'm curious what a Tomlin team would look like without DL. I'm sure that Tomlin leans on DL a lot and that's a wise thing to do. I am a young pastor and I lean heavily on my buddies that have been doing it a lot longer when I need good advice or help and I'm sure Tomlin does the same. I just think that we have so many problems such as secondary, d-line, o-line, special teams, age, and depth that I just don't know if ANYONE could take THIS roster and "contend" with it. However, I hold Tomlin AND Colbert and ALL the coaching staff responsible for this.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've said the same thing. Tomlin constantly drafts 4-3 guys. I mean his first draft pick EVER as our coach was Timmons. Timmons was a 4-3 guy and he has always been solid and is a great "fundamentalist" I guess you'd say but he's never been to a pro-bowl. Woodley was a 3-4 guy though and he seemed to be much more a playmaker when healthy. Ziggy is another example of a guy that never worked out but I just think he was a "miss" altogether because I've not heard any noise from him since he left either. I just always have this feeling that Tomlin is like "well this is the year that DL is finally gonna quit and I'll have my guys in place" but then that doesn't happen. HOWEVER, Tomlin IS the boss of DL and if he REALLY wanted to institute a new scheme he could do it. So it really makes it hard to blame DL for the problems when ultimately he is not the true boss of the team. If that makes any sense.