1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BEN....$100MM Man

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelburgh, Oct 12, 2014.

1. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Given the current state of the team, do you think the Steelers should sign Ben to a $100MM ++ contract?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Without him we're nothing.

3. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Understood....but with all the HOLES on this team, I'm not sure you can hamstring the salary cap, more that it currently is, by tying up $100 ++MM to him.

4. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The team is nothing with him right now. So why would you sign him for that much money. Start looking for another QB because of his age.

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Many get defensive when this question is asked. No, Ben is not the issue, but putting more money into 1 position isn't either. Ben has played well the past 3 years, yet we're 19-19. Extending him isn't the answer, as it will hurt our depth.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope we draft one high this year to start the process.:cool:

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you see today's game? We're already there.

9. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    They honestly don't need Ben, or any good QB really to run this dink, dunk, and run offense. That said, they aren't going to be a playoff contender with this offense, so we have reached an impasse.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If the rest of the season goes like today, I think I'd be in favor of trading Ben for a couple of number ones the next two years or a one and a two in next year's draft if we can find a taker outside the division. If the Bengals got that for Palmer we ought to be able to get something comparable for Ben. I just think we're getting awfully close to blowing the whole thing up and rebuilding completely.

11. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Ben needs to move on this tesm is broke and if they're not going to surround him with the talent to make this team better what good is it he should go somewhere else to finish up his career

12. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    We missed our next Ben; Blake Bortles.
    [h=3][/h]

13. Dooner

Dooner Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Ben needs to be traded next year for multiple picks.
    He's too expensive and we have too many holes to fill before becoming a legit contender. Time for Rooney loyalty to end for aging players.
    Lebeau, Hailey,Brett, Troy, Ike, Harrison, Gay, Worlds and Ben need to go next year.
    Time to rebuild and take our lumps.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'd be willing that Ben has a no trade clause in his contract or at the very least he can block any trade that he doesn't like.

15. Dooner

Dooner Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Could possibly be but I've never heard mention of one in football.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what we are doing now. This place is erupting after two 8-8 seasons, blow it all up now, say hello to another 5 non playoff seasons.

17. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Bell, Blount, Brown, Miller, Wheaton, Moore, Pouncey, Decastro and Archer are all supposed talent but that gives 10 points a game, so who are they missing?

18. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What set Ben apart and made him so great when he was coming up was is ability to leave the pocket, scramble and make big plays. He doesn't play like that anymore. He basically a pocket passer now which he is average at. He can't make the big plays on a consistent basis anymore. Look around the league at all the qb's now that can make plays. Any success a team has starts with its QB. The way Ben is playing now and for the last couple of seasons, (stats mean nothing), most any qb in the nfl could produce the same results. Why would you pay someone a huge contract on the down side of his career? God bless Ben for revitalizing a stagnate program but the window has closed, its time to move on.

19. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    No kidding, One can argue that Brown and Bell are the best at their positions in the NFL, yet we cannot score. The talent is there, so it's either Ben or the coaching, or both...

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I'm not sue they'll even get one #1 for Ben. His past could hinder that.

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've lived through the Kordell Stewart, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham years so I'm a little reluctant to let a two-time super bowl champion quarterback walk out the door. I would let him play out his contract and franchise him the following year. Unless we/he improves over that time then possibly resign him long term.

It would also depend on what quarterbacks are coming out in college and does any of them fit in our system. I would definitely draft one and start grooming him to start.

22. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly and the Browns were moving pretty steadily with Brian Hoyer under center so...

23. steelerzfannforever

steelerzfannforever Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I honestly believe that our Offense has a lot of talent! When you have players like Brown, Bell, Wheaton, a still productive Heath Miller, Roethlisberger, DeCastro, I tend to believe the issues are more on the coaching staff. I'm not going to blame it all on the coaches, but it is their job to have this team ready. Week in and week out, this team is unprepared and that falls specifically on the coaches. Also, our play calling is terrible in key situations. If you take a look at some of the plays other teams run on us...specifically the tight end drag that the Browns ran yesterday for a huge gain, we never see play calls like that. All we see is the same wr screen 10 times a game. There are no game changing play calls, but the same stuff over and over to which I truly believe bogs this team down. I know Ben can change the play at the line, but if we do not have the correct personnel in the game, he is limited to what he can audible to. The D is in shambles and is the biggest problem with this team...I love DL, but its time for him to go. His D is way past its time and this team is not equipped with the type of players required to run it. Change starts at the top, and as much as I dont want to say its time to blow it up from the top down, its time to blow it up from the top down. Tomlin, Haley, Lebeau and Colbert need to go. If it doesn't start there, we are in trouble for years to come!

24. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think their redzone problems are because of their wrs. between the 20's they can use their speed and quicks to get open and gain yards after the catch. AB is a top 5 wr without a doubt, but hes small. once they get into the redzone there isnt as much room to work and speed becomes pretty useless.

they love to try that fade pass, but unless its an absolute perfect pass the wrs have almost no shot. they just dont have the size to be effective down close.

25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    No. There's no point with this team. Either ride him out for the next year or two just to stay "competitive", or trade him away for whatever we can get for him to help the rebuild. This team is a mess right now, and a mess doesn't need an aging $100 million QB.