1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You play to WIN the freaking game!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by colsteveaustin, Sep 28, 2014.

1. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I cant believe what I just saw? 3 down 5 and you basically just sit on the ball? A first down would've won the game.If your stopped, Then you punt.You DONT put our pathetic defense in a situation to win the game!! I usually dont post, But I'm still pissed.Argued with my dumbass Brother about the play.He says most teams would've done what Tomlin/Haley chose to do. WHAT? Nevermind.What do i know? Haley should be fired! Everywhere this LOSER has gone, he's brought turmoil and bad decision making. Tomlin needs to go also! Before I get bashed, I've ALWAYS felt this way.OUR Biggest issue is Coaching.Two years in a roll at 8-8.Looks like were headed there again.Teams usually adapt their Coaches mentality.Too me, Tomlin is SOFT! I hate them, But look at the Harbaughs.There hard nosed and for the most part, Their teams are also.Hate to say it, But they remind me of someone that used to Coach here? You guessed it....Bill Cowher.Tomlin would be a great assistant. Cincy and Baltimore are better then us. Period.Until proven otherwise.Man, I'm more embarrassed then anything.0-3 team at your house. What are we gonna do when good teams come in? On a positive note..... I love watching Le'veon Bell run.I think we have a stud RB? AB in my opinion is one of the best receivers in the game.Ben is Ben.Top notch QB.We should be a scoring machine with all of our talent on offense.Defense.... Well, I think the league has caught up with the zone blitz.I love DL.I want to see what Keith Butler can do? We need a change. Just my opinion. I love the Steelers. Anyone that knows me knows I take my Steelers seriously. I hope we learn from this!! I'm not confident though. Just my 2 cents.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    youare not seriously arguing that with 3rd-5, Tampa Bay with no TOs, that you pass the ball?

Christ, what would you be saying about Tomlin/Haley if the the throw is incomplete or intercepted orBen gets sacked? I'll bet you wouldn't be praising their gutsy play calling.

Running the clock was the right call. A bad punt hurt, and the D can't give up a 40yd pass. Hang Tomlin and Haley if you want, but save some rope for the DC too

4. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben is a future HOF qb with probably the best escape artist act in the nfl. Getting 5 yards is a 100% guaranteed victory. By choosing to not play for the first down and put you now drop from 100% to a lower percentage. If you failed to get the 1st down, you are still punting.

So it boils down to attempt to win game and risk a turnover or turn the ball over in the form a punt, then let your defense "do its work". With the recent rule changes in the NFL, coupled with extreme amount of penalties being called throughout all NFL games, along with our defense sucking (especially giving him long plays on 3rd downs) I would say the "risk" of going for the win outweighs the alternative.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    You realize they threw on the previous down, right?

It was NOT the right call. It was the call you make when you have misplaced confidence in your defense closing out the game ... and don't have confidence in your future hall of fame franchise QB. 1st down and we win ... so lets punt instead. Yeah, brilliant!

6. colsteveaustin

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly what I was saying!! You play to win. With our poor Defense, I knew we needed to at least try to get the 1st down. We have no secondary. The outcome speaks for itself.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

All I've hearing all week is that Le'Veon Bell is the second coming of JimBrown,Gala Sayers, Franco and the Bus. He's been averaging 5 yd a carry. A run play to bell is not insane, it's smart.

But I am perplexed, the Off is ripped for not getting the 1st D, the D is absolved from giving up a 40 yd play to a journeyman QB with no TO's on the road.

Thou shalt not criticize St Richard the Infallible.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the short punt didn't help too , winn was punting well all season and when we needed he punted for 30 yard...

9. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    The defense is playing the run. This isn't rocket science.

10. bigplaywillygay

Oct 17, 2011
    I never said the D is absolved. The problem with this team is coaching. The team right now has enough talent to make it to the playoffs as a wild card, but can not play a consistent game.

Offense has enough fire power to put up at least 30 on any team in the NFL, especially when Ben runs the no huddle. They come out and look great for 2 quarters then change what they are doing and run roughly 2-3 draw plays then punt. Very stupid.

Defense continues to get almost no pressure on the quarterback. They also play an outdated scheme that apparently is too complex for our mediocre players to understand. Also the corner backs are coached to start 15 yards away from their receiver.

The only positive looking unit that has improved has been Special teams coverage.

Mike Tomlin is a defensive minded coach and was a DB coach. You think he would know playing 15 yards off your man is a bad idea.
    Haley seems to have some decent plays drawn up but really doesn't know how to call them in the flow of the game. The offense is much smoother when Ben calls it.

The team in general gets ripped, especially the coaches because this has been a problem for ~5 years. They announced today that there are roughly 23 new players on the steelers roster from the past 2 years but yet the same issues persist. The common denominator is the coaching staff.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The short punt was critical. It hurt. But if we're gonna worry about putting the ball in Mike Glennon's hands, with no TOs, in Heinz Field with 50seconds left..... It's gonna be a lot longer season than some of the optimists here expected.

12. colsteveaustin

Oct 17, 2011
  13. bigplaywillygay

Oct 17, 2011
    This isn't the 70s, or 2008 and the NFL isn't the same. We don't have the Steel curtain and the rules have been changed recently to heavily favor offensive scoring. Putting our very weak defense on a short field isn't a good idea no matter who the quarter back is.

14. colsteveaustin

Oct 17, 2011
  15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    f ....................................uck
    that makes a lot of sense
    I'm going to reconsider my stance

16. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

Yes---2010 Afc Championship game 3rd and 7 Jets have 0 Timeouts with aprox. 1 min left...Ben to AB first Down Game over :thumbs_up:

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i agree in general , i saw san francisco did the same thing at the end and they were on their 5 yard line ... but knowing that our defense couldn't cover anybody is a tough call ..

18. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    No it wasn't. It's an 11 yard difference. That was about the least critical thing that happened all game long. Our punter played absolutely no role in us losing that game yesterday.

19. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish our DBS were 10-15 yards off on that big play. They were up closer and that was a great play against that defense. Had we sat back, he would not have gotten so much open field.

Gotta get the first down on offense and win the game. On our 3rd down play, they looked totally confused, like we had two different plays called and half the team ran each.

The defense just kept them out of the endzone on four plays. Odds are they won't do it again.

Offense scored 7 points in the second half.

20. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    There were a lot of "critical" things yesterday, or should I say things we can be critical about? How many times has AB dropped passes like that, how many times has Heath?? How about a turnover at the very beginning of tha game.. and right in our red zone!! When's the last time that happened? The bad punt? Not the worst thing yesterday. I will blow this board up with the same thing I have always said about Coach T... Discipline..Thankfully at the end of the game he also said it.. On the old board I was beat down by people disagreeing with me that Coach T needs more discipline and it has to begin with the Rooney's.

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    which big play ? the one that hit murphy and put them inside our 5 ? before their winning td ? if is that allen was 10 yard off and still lost him