1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DL. its been nice, but its time to go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I whole heatedly concur.

2. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The seat should be plenty hot at the moment.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    DL has been allowed to hang around for too long. I thank everything he has done for us and the SBs he helped us win, but nothing he does on defense works in today's NFL.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing works without better DB'S....Last week we played a Team with weaker WR'S and he manned up and the D worked well... This week we adjust because our CB'S suck . To top that off Troy is all ,but done no help in coverage .....
    The future is a 4 or 6 man front , but we must have CB'S who can guard their own guy ..Last week showed the scheme can work we just don't have the players...

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not saying you're wrong but how are our guys supposed to cover when the "scheme" puts them back with a 10yd cushion. How are they supposed to cover when the "scheme" doesn't allow or enable our front seven to get to the QB. So is it the scheme or the players.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A 6 man front? Do you think we're going up against a wishbone or wing-T offense?

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    we ran a lot of Bear fronts last week...Not 6 DL just a 6 man front . I meant 4 and 5 man front ,but I watch a lot of Teams with a 6 man front ...

With our DB'S might as well go jail break and send all 11...

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ah yes

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I am sure DL has lots of input into Defensive players that we draft. He obviously doesn't value CBs as other teams do. Either way, other teams (Seattle) have managed to grab diamonds in the rough and turn them into excellent CBs. Its called coaching.

Heck, we have succeeded at doing this at other positions. See AB at WR.

DL has not been able to coach up any CB we have had here to make positive impacts year in and year out. Yes Ike has had a steady c areer, but not great. William Gay has made some big plays but has also been picked apart.

I don't understand how a HOF DB like Lebeau has allowed our secondary to be so poor for so long.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    add when you draft hood in the first round that doesn't even fit the sistem , you go out and take cam thomas who was benched in sd ..they had to call back kiesel and harrison , that's says a lot to how they draft and develope the new players

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is very telling. We are royally screwing up our drafts every year. There's no reason we should need to resign Harrison, a guy who has not been able to get to the QB himself in a couple years. Guys we have drafted should have worked out, at least some of them. To have as many misses as we are having says a lot. I don't know who's fault it is, but someone needs to be held responsible for our awful drafts every year.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    they drafted well on offense .. on defense seems they bust or not able to develop players ,

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we've drafted well at skill positions. O line... not so well.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    decastro and pouncey are good , adams and gilbert were overdrafted , beachum is not bad for a 7 rd ...

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think both you guys are correct and what has changed IMO is the BPA draft approach... You have to get guys you need the most not the BPA...If the BPA is not the position you need then move back and get more picks and draft the right position....Also if you know you need DB'S and they get within a few picks you make a move and go get them...

16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I don't think any of the cornerbacks in this draft was worth moving up to get even though we needed corners.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow just wow... Any CB was worth it.. Hell it is worth letting me try out...The best CB in the CFL is better than the bunch we fielded today...

Rookie CB'S have bad days they will get better... Our guys have bad days and they will just get worse...In a pass first league and we have no coverage guys in the stable... Notice a trend that happened to the Panthers great front 7 again this week....I will tell you speed and spread them out they are bad on the back end just like us ....

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Change of subject, but would have been nice to have a big receiver like mike Evans today!!!!!!

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure would have been. I can't figure out why we keep drafting these quick, tiny receivers. It's great that Brown is one of the top guys in the league, but it would give us an advantage to have a big WR like a Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans on the other side instead of Wheaton. It seems like that's pretty much all we ever draft is short speedy guys.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Amen again Shaner, we do need a least one tall and strong receiver to at least help in the red zone. Brown, Wheaton, Moore and Sanders when he was here are all the same type of receivers to me. Just don't get it.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just think the game has evolved to the point where its getting tough for outside rushers. QB's get rid of the ball too fast. Safety rules are neutering defenses. It takes too long for our OLB's to get to the QB to make a difference.

On a lot of third downs today I thought we would have seen OLB's pin their ears back and get after it, but instead we are flooding field with DB's and taking our pass rushers off the field?

This isn't the NFL I remember, and we need to change with the times. If we can't get there from the outside we need to get stronger in the middle and start sending a lot more blitzes and stunts up the middle to get in the QB's face.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bryant may be that guy, just not this season or maybe second half contributions.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sold on him by any means though really. He just seems sorta blah to me. He LOOKS capable but also seemed pretty lethargic on the field during the preseason. I hope that's not an accurate representation of him.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    You mean the guy that caught the ball today? Wheaton will be good and is holding his own. Brown drop... Heath drop... Wheaton catch to preserve the drive. Easy 6 when it counted? Brown drop... Hit him in the hands!

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben also missed a WIDE OPEN Wheaton on the sidelines today. He can get open. It's not his fault that Ben is maybe a little gunshy since our "offensive" line pretty much allows guys to be in his face about .002 seconds after the snap.