1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- Most memorable STEELER game..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    OK My bad sheesh! Give a guy a break. It was only my 2nd game.

2. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    It was at least when the bubster (drop back and hit the fetal position) was replaced. At least till Odonnel became Dallas MVP in SBXXX

3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Coastal Steeler- I also attended that game. It was my first and only time seeing the Steelers play in 3 Rivers Stadium. It was Gary Anderson who was the kicker then.

For me this is easy- the AFC championship game win against Baltimore 3 years ago. I had a pretty good seat in the end zone and Troy's clinching interception return happened right in front of me. It was great- walking out of that stadium, knowing the Steelers were going to the Super Bowl, was the ultimate.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This past year was the 10th year Heinz has been open. They did a peice on the top 10 games at Heinz field. I felt so lucky that I was there for 6 out of the 10 games.

My favorite was the 2008 AFC championship game. When Troy caught that INT and ran it back, you have never heard something so loud in your life, it was like Heinz field was a trampoline.

My second favorite game was 2010 Divisonal round against the Ravens, and the 2010 Championship game against the Jets.

But, even those all hail to the 2008 championship game.

5. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I'll never forget Dolphins @ Steelers 11/26/07. The image of that punt getting stuck in the mud will forever remain in my mind.

6. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Most memorable STEELER game..

Yes.I remember that game.I was a kid watching that game in awe.Now that I'm old,I found that on You Tube and it brought back memories.It was alot more awesome as a kid,But it was still sweet to see it again. :applaud:

7. Jaxsteeler

Jaxsteeler Member

Nov 16, 2011
    My most memorable was the game in Jacksonville, Fl Dec. 2004. My brother came down from Pa. with his wife. I picked them up at the Jacksonville airport and the airport was packed with steeler fans arriving. Not just on flights from Pa but from all over the east coast. It was a great game that we won. The stadium was packed with Steeler Fans. They said in the Times Union, the local paper that there were 20,000 but I think that number was low. The whole stadium was full of waiving Terrible Towels, Myron would have been pleased! As a result of this the Steeler Nation actually caused a marketing response by the Jaguars. After this game the Jaguars now give out foam sticks for the Jags fans to waive to try and block out all the terrible towels. We had great seats at about the 40 yd. line. At the end of the game the Jags lined up to kick a game winning fg. It was a long one, I think 56 yds or so. My brother leans over to me and says "no way will he hit this" I was like I dunno Scobee has a great leg. Anyway Scobee kicks it and as the ball heads towards the uprights my brother goes OH SH##. From our vantage point it looked like it was gonna be good. The kick just missed and we win the game 17-16. We went out on the town to celebrate after the game in our Steeler jerseys and all the Jags fans we ran into were very gracious and great sports. Nothing like after a Ravens game in Baltimore where you need a kevlar vest and have to worry about your lady getting beer tossed at her, which actually happened to us in that city. I am so glad Cundiff shanked that kick..omg that was great

8. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My most memorable game would be Super Bowl 30. I was going to School out in Arizona back then and my buddy somehow scored some tickets. Not to mention the whole NFL experience thingy they had going on that whole week leading up to the big game. Even though we lost I'll never forget that game.

9. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Been a fan for 40 years, so I've seen a lot of games, but I'm gonna pick two fairly recent games, which were back to back. That is the 2008 AFCCG vs the Rats and then the Bowl, which I was at both. Reason why I choose these two are the pick-6 from Troy and Harrison. Both are the two greatest plays you can witness in person and the hysteria that goes with it. Man, those are two of the greatest plays in Steeler history, only behind Mr Immaculate.

10. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was at the SB in 2006 in Detroit so that was pretty sweet to get over the hump and FINALLY feel a sense of relief after being so close for so many yrs, but I'd have to say the most memorbale game I was at was the '95 AFCCG against the Colts. When Harbaugh threw that hail mary at the end of the game that would have sent them to the bowl I swear to God you could hear a pin drop in the place as the ball travelled through thte air. And when that Colts player puts his arms up with his white shirt on underneath I thought it was the ref signaling TD. When they finally waived it off and the game was over I don't think I ahve ever been so happy about a game in my life. People were literally crying in the stands due to the emotinal stress! The walk out of Three Rivers with Evryone screaming "I gotta feelin', Pittsburgh's goin to the superbowl!" was something to remember!!

11. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Re: Most memorable STEELER game..

I met Lynn Swann at the FedEx Orange Bowl one year and got a chance to talk to him about a similar incident one year against Tampa Bay. When I brought it up he laughed and with a smile said "it was only a Chrysler."

My most memorable game (other than the Super Bowl in Detroit) was the game against New England in the late 1980's when it was bitter cold. I had recently moved to Nashville but got my company's seat to the Steelers' game. I drove back up and took my buddies to the game. They were not happy that I made them stay to the very end. If I hadn't however they would have missed Louie Lipps' 52 or 53 yard reverse for a TD. That's the coldest I've ever been at a game in my life.

12. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Super Bowl XIII is pretty high on my list since I was 9 years old and living in Pittsburgh at the time. Our TV went bad and my dad was working at McGee Women's Hospital in Oakland, so my mom packed up my sister and I and drove us to the hospital where I watched the game in the Doctor/Nurse's lounge. Very exciting as everyone walked through and checked on the score.

Another game I just remember loving was the 1994 Divisional Playoff Game at home versus Bill Belichick and the Cleveland Browns. We rushed for 238 yards in that game and basically just dominated the game physically as much as any game I ever remember. That was sort of the epitome and start of the "real" Bill Cowher era and when I really thought we were heading in the right direction and had Super Bowl aspirations. In 1992 and 1993, we were getting better, but 1994 and 1995 saw the real improvement into a Super Bowl caliber team. That game was just glorious. It was also before the worst game in Cowher's era - the loss to San Diego at home.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199501070pit.htm

I also really remember the 7-6 playoff game versus New England in the 1997 season (Jan. 3, 1998). That game was on my sister's wedding day and she was married at a church next to my grandfather's house so I kept sneaking over during photos and stuff (I was in the wedding party) to get scores. That was the game Kordell Stewart ran for our only TD to win the game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199801030pit.htm

13. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For some reason, one game that sticks out in my mind was a Saturday night game late in the 1997 season at Foxborough. If my memory serves me correctly, New England had an 8 pt lead late in the 4th quarter with the ball, deep in Steelers territory. Instead of running to ice the game, Drew Bledsoe threw a screen pass that was intercepted by Kevin Henry and returned all the way inside the red zone (it was originally lateralled for a TD, but the refs ruled that it was an illegal forward lateral and brought back). Kordell converted a 4th down conversion to Thigpen with a picturesque catch on the sidelines, and then converted the TD and 2-pt conversion (again to Thigpen in the middle of the endzone). The game went to OT, Pitt won the toss, drove down the field and Norm Johnson kicked the winning field goal. I believe that game all but clinched the AFC Central for the Steelers (they lost a meaningless finale against Tennessee the following week). I'm not sure why that game still sticks in my mind...but it might be because I was convinced that there was no way the Steelers would pull it out...and they did.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That was an epic game. I think there were two 4th down conversions after the Kevin Henry INT (I almost crapped my pants when that happened). Or maybe I'm thinking of the 2 point conversion. Great catch by Thigpen on the sidelines. The whole game was back and forth. I remember having to leave my house at a critical moment to go to my grandparents', and running into their house and barely saying hi to get to the TV. Would love to see that game again.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What a mess that game was, we won it 3-0, not a very memorable game, but one game that was for the most part boring. The 6 superbowl wins have to be a complete montage of memorable games, there is no other game that can compare to the SB games, just the swing of emotions during those games has no equal in games played by the steelers...

16. jwp178

jwp178 New Member

Aug 25, 2012
    I have to say for me it is Super Bowl 40. Finally getting that one for the thumb and my generation as a 20 something Steelers fan finally getting to see a Super Bowl victory.

17. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'd say yesterday's game ranks up there.

It was like I was trapped in a phone booth of emotion.

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    OK Guys, we all know my memory isn't what it was but another game was the last game of the season during the same time frame, we were playing the Browns. I was in an end zone about on level 6. Testerverty dropped back. I told my friend (testy still had the ball) SHELTON GOT IT!!SHELTON GOT IT. my friend said the qb atill has it. He threw it and Shelton jumped the route. I am not 100% sure but I think that was Shelton's famous Nestea Plunge pick 6

20. Ryan

Ryan Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Nothing beats the two Super Bowl most recent Super Bowl victories. I was too young to truly appreciate the dynasty of the '70s, but XL and XLIII were fantastic viewing experiences.

That said, the Wild Card game against the Browns at Heinz Field in Jan. 2003 was truly special. It was ugly out that morning and I nearly got in an accident driving to the game. The Steelers seemed to be out of it so many times. I remember talking with fans at halftime about what the team had to do to improve for next season because we thought it was over. The Steelers rallied for a 33-30 victory in what is still the only playoff appearance by the expansion Browns.

(And no, I don't consider that franchise the original Browns. That franchise is in Baltimore.)

21. Supersteler

Supersteler New Member

May 2, 2015
    My Dad and I were at the infamous TIE game vs. the Falcons when Plaxico caught the final pass and got tackled on the 1 to end overtime. You've never heard anything as strange as 60,000 people walking out of a stadium in complete and utter silence. Bizarre.

22. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    "They forgot to block him". Wha?

23. VA_Black&Gold

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, not quite the hot start I was hoping for.

24. VA_Black&Gold

Nov 14, 2011
    Lord, could there have been more Ravens on Bell?

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeeeees!!TD!!!Great job Vick,bell,and Haley!!