1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DL. its been nice, but its time to go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Though Butler is a disciple of LeBeau it doesn't mean he wouldn't do something different. He may maintain the 3-4, but he may put more wrinkles like bringing the corners up or trying some man to man in appropriate situations. I agree Butler probably wouldn't be a complete change, but it is possible he could give it a different flavor.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They most certainly got better over the second half of the season!
    The Steelers aren't firing anyone till the season is over if at all !

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    LeBeau gets the credit when the defense is ranked #1 in the league, then he has to take the blame for the defense struggles too. The sacks, turnovers, stopping the run has been declining for the last 3 seasons.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't say that, I said I'm sure they don't see him as the problem.

He would never be fired though, he would "retire".

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was agreeing with you. Just saying that if they did see him as a problem they would part ways!
    They obviously don't see a problem at this point!

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha :thumbsup:

7. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    here we are 2 weeks in and zero takeaways. i think they didnt get their first last season until the 5th or 6th game.

this is becoming a trend. they get very little pressure on the qb and they force no turnovers and they cant stop the run or the pass.

i cant remember a time when all the players got fired. not saying DL should be fired, but his time has come or least his defensive schemes.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Or perhaps the same core, but a renewed energy.

I'm not averse to any of the ideas I listed. I suppose it's more that people sometimes seem to think there's an unambiguous solution here, when in fact all of the options have periods of transitions and uncertainties about them.

I do tend towards thinking it's the players rather than the scheme, and that at least some of those players are going to improve over the course of this season.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    yeah

Dick being so old, maybe, it's just the players are tired of Hard Candy

and Butler has like Toblerone or Ritter Sport

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rule, this makes too much dang sense! Don't you know that OUR coaches can only be credited with the good stuff, not blamed for the bad stuff!

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Seems to be the way around here when it comes to Tomlin and Lebeau. It's as if some think just because Noll and Cowher were around a long time that it has to be that way with every coach. Noll and Cowher were around for a long time because they proved they had the ability to maintain a winning team. Tomlin has not shown any such ability. Stability by itself doesn't result in winning. Just because we did something effectively in the past doesn't mean it will be effective today. That also applies to Lebeau. Just because he has a ton of knowledge and exerience doesn't mean squat. Knowledge and experience by themselves don't result in winning.

There's nothing wrong with firing a coach that's proven to be ineffective. Lebeau hasn't gotten us results for years now. Are we seriously going to blame every single player on defence for 3 years straight rather than the coach?

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cowher's first six years were pretty good then he had two terrible and one so so year! Tomlin is going through about the same cycle right now!

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The team Tomlin inherited from Cowher had been to the Super Bowl two years before. The team Cowher inherited from Noll hadn't been to the Super Bowl in nearly a dozen years. The team Noll took over was abysmal for decades. The point is that the teams Noll and Cowher took over got progressively better during their first decade as head coach. Tomlin's team is getting progressively worse.

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    The wins and losses are just a small piece of the bigger puzzle. Every team is going to have years where they just aren't that good and as a result they don't get many wins. What's important though is the coach recognizes the weak areas and does something to fix it. Cowher lost a ton of talent to free agency, far more than Tomlin ever has, yet Cowher always showed an ability to replace talent with talent. Tomlin has shown no such ability.

Cowher's teams always passed the eye test, Tomlin's teams haven't for a couple years now and nothing seems any better this year. I don't want to hear how our guys are too young and inexperienced, because we don't have that many inexperienced guys starting, nor does it take 3 years to "mesh" with your teammates.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin has lost most of his players to old age. It doesn't really matter how they are gone!
    I don't care if they fire Tomlin tomorrow. I have faith that the Steelers will do what is right.

So now you have said it over and over that Tomlin needs to go, so what's the purpose of saying it in almost every post you make? We get it! Time to move on to a new topic don't you think?

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't create this thread or any other thread about Tomlin in a long time now. I comment on threads that others make. If a comment about Tomlin is relevant to the thread, then I'll make a comment about Tomlin. Quite frankly, I don't give two hoots whether you like reading it or not. Perhaps I'll make 500 more comments about Tomlin perhaps I won't, either way, I don't give a **** what you think Glenn. Don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts, it's that easy. Quit your whining, move on to something other than whining about what other people post and what forum they post in.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Calm down! You're taking it wrong.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fans were calling for Noll and Cowhers head too, probably some of the same fans here that are calling for Tomlin and Lebeaus head.

Knowledge and experience don't mean squat, lol, yeah ok. Funny how coaches who have the highest level of success suddenly can't coach anymore.

Luis Lipps
    Merril Hodge
    Barry Foster
    Eric Green
    Mike Murlarkey
    Dwight Stone
    Dermontti Dawson
    Tunck Ilkin
    Rod Woodson
    Carnell Lake
    Thomas Everett
    Jerry Olsavky
    Hardy Nickerson
    Gary Anderson

Cowher inherited quite a few good players. Guess he won with Nolls players. Remarkable how similar Cowher and Tomlins careers mirror each other but only Tomlin sucks.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Well what do you expect. I'm passionate about this team and in my eyes, the thing holding us back is Tomlin. You'd be the same way if you thought there was one thing holding the team back and that one thing didn't appear to be going away anytime soon. It's frustrating. I'm frustrated and downright mad. I'm sick of losing and sick of looking like absolute crap

20. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm like 20% sure none of those players were on the '05 roster.

21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Sooooooooooo

No one here thinks the players are tired of Dick's hard candy

and they just are not motivated by it anymore

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah, but you're yelling at people who have no control over who the coach is!

23. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Glenn
    we are all hard core fans

to be honest

You're reading it that way

passion.

now I have to listen to Rod Stewart PASSION

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't at first, but that's twice now you've told me to stop posting about Tomlin. People create threads on topics I find interesting, so I comment on them. You might have a point if I was creating all kinds of threads on Tomlin, but I'm not.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well thats 13 years later so probably not, lol.

However Cowher got to the SB in '95 too, took over Nolls team in 92. And SB or not, his early success can easily be attributed to Nolls players like people try to say about Tomlin winning with Cowhers players.