1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's not the coaches!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by slickster10, Sep 11, 2014.

1. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Coaches are to hold players accountable, ever see any hit of accountability under Tomlin's watch? Agree or disagree with the Twisterfield brothers getting caught, both are still playing without any accountability from Tomlin.

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not on the "fire the coaches" bandwagon.
    But I do suspect that the players have talent, that Tomlin is not developing properly.

And I do wonder about the technique being taught to the DBs.
    Allen had a bad game, but some of it was "the Steeler way" that all the DBs seem to be doing. I don't understand why they are taught to maul a receiver when a poorly thrown ball is in the air (and the refs staring right at them for the obvious PI call), instead of running to the spot where they could get an interception.

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I disagree. The O-Line looks better this year. It's not going to win any awards, or be in the NFL top 5 of O-Lines, but they appear to be getting enough of the job done to be successful.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That Panther defense will eat this offense up, just go ahead and chalk this game up as another loss....

5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Did you see Dumerville pancake Gilbert for a sack???

6. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm with you on Gilbert. That guy appears to be the weak link. I think he played terrible in at least part of the game against the Browns. The Steelers do need a solid LT.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Which time?:shrug:

8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Why does, on average 7 head coaches get fired every year, if it's not the coaches fault? We have had two bad seasons in a row and well on our way to the worst one yet, with the 27th ranked weakest schedule in the league, so should Tomlin be retained if this season tanks? How long can an owner be an enabler to a clueless head coach who isn't putting a competitive team on the field year after year? Aren't fans tired of hearing excuses from a coach who flat out isn't improving this team????

9. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    The usual arguments are:
    (1) Tomlin has seven seasons without having a losing record (unless this season goes bad), and
    (2) The Steelers opened the 2000 season going 0-3 after two losing seasons, didn't make the playoffs that year either, and Cowher wasn't fired.

I think it is a case where you better have someone who will clearly do a better job lined up, rather than fire Tomlin and hope the next guy isn't like the 7 head coaches that get fired every year.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ..is not win and losses , is what is doing here on regular basis : ..found this on another chat :
    "
    He's one of the worst 5-10 coaches in the league. He's a players coach and not a damn thing else. I cannot wait for his joke of a tenure to end. The further away from Cowhers players he gets. The worse he is. He can't draft. Can't develop players. Knows nothing about discipline or accountability.

He's a used ****ing car salesman than only knows how to yap his stupid ****ing gums. He probably was the least qualified head coach of all time when hired. Now we are paying for it."
    exactly what i think about tomlin

11. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    While I tend to stay shy of the "fire everyone" bandwagon, I've not been impressed with Tomlin since pretty much the beginning. I wanted to like him, badly. He's a hometown boy here, his alma mater is where I am trying to wrap up a degree, he worked for (and still visits) one of my favorite watering holes here, but I just can't believe he has the right personality or motivational skills to make this team good. I kind of see it the same way as when I ask my kid to do dishes and she does a half-a$#ed job. It's on me to make her do it right, or why bother asking her at all? I'm not remotely saying the players aren't culpable, but players come and go (with the exception of a few old timers at this point) and yet, the problems persist and even get worse. Is Tomlin or any other coach solely responsible? Maybe not. But they sure better shoulder some of the blame for this mess, and I have yet to really see anyone do that.

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    THIS right here is the point. Does it matter that Tomlin isn't the fumbling the ball? Or tackling? It simply can't be the players are just incompetent every year and if they are, well isn't that the coaches job to get them ready? At some point, SOMEONE has to be held accountable and on EVERY other team in the NFL, its the coach. It is TIME for a change in Pittsburgh.

13. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This drove me nuts. Most boneheaded punt I've ever seen. I keep feeling like a 14 year old playing madden has better game management skills than MT. SERIOUSLY WHY DID HE PUNT THERE?

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How many players get cut across the league each season?
    Answer : alot.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think so. To believe that, you have to believe that NOONE of the coaches on the staff can teach execution either. The line hasn't been playing great so far, does that mean Munch sucks too?

I think bad game planning definitely falls on the coaches but just have a hard time believing no one is capable of teaching execution and bad execution is what I am seeing A LOT of.

16. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    This is wishful thinking / hoping for the best, but I'm thinking about "Hoosiers", the first game where the coach tells them to pass the ball four times. The parents are exploding, because the players don't look like they know what they are doing, since they aren't shooting the ball.

I am hoping/wishing/praying that the players are still thinking too much right now (especially the younger players), getting on the right page with the scheme and with the player next to them, and that in 10 days time maybe things will start to click?

While things don't look pretty now, there is time to turn things around.
    I'm looking at Cowher's 1999 season. They opened 2-0 with a 43-0 shutout at Cleveland and a win at Baltimore. Who would have guessed that would be their worst season (6-10) ?

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Really? If we have good coaches...Tomlin,Haley,lebeau,and munchek...then why are we not effective? We have good talent but they're underperforming.

18. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    We have no fire at all it seems like they are just going through the motions. Do we have a right tackle because Gilbert can't block from his back. He seems to fall down every time the wind blows. Justin Brown drops balls that he gets his hand on and when he does catch it, well he fumbles. I know he's a rookie but his play is not acceptable. D-Line well there horrible there not getting any pressure at all. Coaches well they suck too. Third down and we stop them no problem just get a stupid penalty, and I'm not referring to Troy or Mitchel I thought those calls sucked. The most important thing is turnovers we give them up but we don't get them back

I'm disappointed in this team but I still think they can play well but nobody is on the same page and we seem disinterested. Every year we start out under Tomlin it seems it takes us 4-5 games to get going, and that is directly in the lap of our coaches.

I don't think it's lack of talent I think it's lack of working together as a team.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I say lack of talent is the problem, they have one starting LB that's played a full season in the league in Timmons. The secondary has to be the worst in coverage in the NFL, would Ike be starting for any other team at age 34? There's one player on the team that plays at a pro bowl level that's AB. The team is going to struggle as they transition to younger players, they refuse to admit they're rebuilding which is a mistake. They should've took that 3rd pick from New England last year for Sanders, they fooled themselves into thinking they were contenders.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    talent evaluation is the biggest problem than players development than motivation,discipline and training ...all of this are on coaches and f.o .we just sign gilbert to 6milion x year contract with 8 milion sb , we will be in the cap hell again , with liability payd like stud . i'm very worried about the situation is going on .

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, didn't take him long to fall from grace, only took 2 games.

We have good young talent. The answer lies within there.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh you know why.. Because the standard is the standard. Obviously..

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Who is this munchek you speak of?

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

If its Colbert then we are doomed because he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The entire organization should be held accountable at this point. Where does it start and where does it end is anyones guess?

You could actually blame the entire last few years on Rooney.. Why start at middle managment and talk about coaching when the owners should be held accountable.