1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Game Loss Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Everytime the camera went back to Tomlins face during the game, it's the same wide eyed, mouth closed, looking around like "Ok I didn't have a plan B so I can't wait to go home."

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That is it in a nutshell. How many times have we seen this? Come out and crush and look amazing and then....NOTHING. It is SOOO frustrating.

3. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011

I LOVE Shazier! I have no complaints about him whatsoever! I even have his jersey (which is stunning considering I was in tears after we drafted him lol).

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, he looked lost on a couple plays where he had to drop into coverage. He's not lighting it up by any means.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Steelers were gifted a new set of downs on the personal foul call against Ben. They drove the field and then Brown fumbled in the red zone. That was the turning point in the game. They needed to get 7 points right there and have this soft defense try to build from that momentum.

In all honesty, this team has a better chance of getting a top 5 draft pick then they do at making the playoffs this season.

6. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!: Yep.

7. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's saying something if the turning point in this game was on the first drive. "Obviously" it was the turning play too, because we looked lost and uninspired the rest of the way.

8. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    The main thing that gets me about the Steelers the last couple of years is, they never seem to get better and this year seems like the same old thing, except they seem to be getting worse in most phases of the game. Poor tackling, poor route running, poor running game, to many penalties, no enthusiasm, can't stop the run. I could go on but this team is in regression, and isn't doing anything to get out of it. They have to do something but what, maybe start with the head coach, the last few years it is his team, players he drafted and developed but most don't seem to have the Steelers mentality, of hard nosed football, and that seems to be rubbing off on the whole team even the old timers. .

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    While I think he'll be good...has he made a drive ending play in the regular season yet? Strip, fumble recovery, INT?

I'm jkust stating that it appears that other defenses get more out of "inexperience" than the Steelers and it's frustrating to watch.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Quite honestly, nothing look impressive about that hit, Heath just didn't secure it well enough. Which is what is really killing this team, sound fundamentals, you know its bad when Heath contributes to it.

11. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL. I said the same thing. You know your game is going poorly when Heath fumbles the ball....:frustrated:

12. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OK, my positive takeaway from the last two games... at least it looks like Ben finally learned how to protect the ball when getting sacked to some extent. I haven't seen much (any?) of the reaching the single arm, palmed ball out as he's gone down. :/

13. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here is my problem with Tomlin:

I'm simply a fan...but even I am smart enough to know that our game plan should have been the following:

1. Don't turn the ball over...Steelers/Ravens are normally 3 pt games and you cannot afford to lose a turnover battle. Not only did we give up the first turnover...it looked as though the defender knocked the ball lose with just a little tap. That cannot and should not happen in these kind of games.
    2. No stupid penalties....so much for that...we continue to make bonehead penalties at crucial times.
    3. Stop the run...we knew they were going to pound the ball after Flacco threw 62 times week 1. The Ravens can't win ball games when Flacco throws 62 times. We couldn't stop the run or the short dump off passes. Flacco threw for a total of only 166 yds....yet they ran away with this ball game.
    4. Let Ben run the no huddle. We move the ball in the no huddle. We should have ran it at the very start of the game. Had we put the Ravens down 14-0 early, then we force Flacco to throw and could have controlled the tempo of the game and ruined the Ravens game plan from the get go.

It just baffles me that most of us on this message board could have game planned better than these coaches we have...and it all ultimately comes back to Tomlin. If he says run no huddle in the coaches meeting then we would, if he says put 9 in the box to stop the run...then we would. My guess is it wasn't mentioned in coaches meetings. It seems like we don't look at our opponent and game plan according to what team we are playing against. Sorry, but you can't game plan for Denver the same way you do Jacksonville and you can't game plan for Baltimore like you would Cleveland. We should have had a very specific game plan to stop the run and force Flacco to throw. And we should have had a specific game plan to come out with an up tempo offense...no huddle preferably...and get a lead to force Ravens to play from behind...which means Flacco would have to throw. We played right into their game plan. Not only did we play right into their game plan, we also made zero adjustments (as usual) at halftime. Its frustrating to watch.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm pretty sure their goal was to accomplish 1, 2 & 3 but failed to do so. Have no idea why they aren't using the no huddle more.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Is "not turning the ball over" and "not committing penalties" a gameplan? I would have thought they went without saying....

Might Tomlin know that if you put 9 in the box to stop the run, the Ravens would PA and lob it downfield past the ailing jog of Ike Taylor?

We were running the no-huddle pretty well at one point, I remember the Ravens having to use a timeout to re-gather. Not sure what happened to it later on - I guess the offense weren't on the field long enough to see.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

I agree, he's going to be special. Just out of curiosity, who were you hoping they'd draft?

17. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think the offense is very close to being very good. their biggest issue is themselves. they always seem to make a mistake at the worst times. whether its stupid penalties that kill their momentum or a bad turnover like they had last night.

they have the players on that side of the ball to be explosive. we saw that in the 1st 2 quarters of game 1. we just havent seen it in the last 6 quarters.

now the defense is a whole different story. i think they have plenty of skill guys, but i think DL defense has played its self out.

Troy is pretty much done. i know he had a great year last season, but he just seems a little slower and since was never a great tackler and made up for that with his speed and just overall greatness that has become a problem.

Ike could never catch the ball to save his life, but he was a pretty good cover guy. well now hes lost a step and hes not a very good cover guy and since he still cant catch, he has become a weak link.

Mitchell isnt as good as Clark was when Clark was good. Cortez Allen got paid, but he has looked pretty bad so far. the LBs arent generating any pressure and the Dline isnt getting any kind of push.

and the punter sucks

18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As that was one turning point, I believe the other was the beginning of the 2nd half when the Ravens came out on their first possession and did nothing. That was our opportunity to get back in the game and it never happen.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I did not say the hit was impressive, but it was a splash play at a critical moment. So far this defense hasn't gotten any turnovers.....

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We've hardly gotten any tackles either. Baby steps Lizard! Baby Steps! LOL!

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Good news / bad news.

Just found out today the company is cutting back on hours, so I'll have most Sundays off for the rest of the season.

But the last 2 times this happened were HORRIBLE years for the Steelers.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

JUST GO WORK FOR FREE!!! LOL!!!

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    They won't let me! :roflmao:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Well, hopefully you will have very good Sundays capped off with a dose of Walking Dead :dancing:

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :drinks: