1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Game Loss Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I had the pleasure of attending my first Steelers game since '07 tonight. Was NOT pretty

2. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Unfortunately, while it's not within four games, we do have four of six divisional games before the bye week (and the Bengals the two after... *sigh*). I fear we could put ourselves out by then if we don't figure things out quickly.

3. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was saying that last night as he either didn't look like he was really going for the ball or he whiffed right by it. I love (LOVE) Troy, but I think even he is starting to give up, to say nothing of his age or tenure. Sad times, indeed.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats why some of the local media doesn't like Tomlin, because he won't give them anything of substance. I think Tomlin knows full well they have a lot of issues on that defense.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

do you keep listen to him ? he is only words , in reality is clueless , we have to hope someone else on the coaching staff will find out something to right the ship ...

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And thats it right there in a nutshell for the Tomlin critiques, even if they do right the ship, it won't be because of Tomlin. Yeah that's fair.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a sign of the apocalypse, and then some. REMEMBER THE OFF-SEASON TRAINING, BF!!!

For what it's worth, I think it's unhelpful to reduce this all to a "it's the coaches!" "it's the players!" thing. We can do better than that. We need to look at all the specific problems, rather than jump on one over-arching point and pretend that's where everything lies.

There were so many contributing factors to this loss, and they range across everything from what structural (e.g. what players we have where) to any given sunday (e.g. a player like Heath fumbling at that point in the game, on that point of the field); from players underperforming (e.g. Ben, Timmons, Troy) to players getting injured (Brown, McLendon).

So - and I'm aware I'm pissing into the wind saying this - let's not turn this thread into the "all our problems are down to one thing" argument.

8. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a press conference. He's unlikely to start delivering a team-talk and next game's strategy.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    When has Tomlin ever righted the ship? Which problem has he fixed over the years? Turnovers, nope, we still get none. Sacks? Nope, none of those either. Oline? Still terrible. Dline? Awful. Tackling? Getting worse every year.

I mean, the list keeps growing and the things that were issues previously are still issues today. What has he ever righted? I just can't figure out the support this guy gets. He has never corrected or improved any aspect of this team.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm sorry but this is, what, the third season in a row where our team is completely uninspired and totally unprepared. I have tried, at least a little, to not put this all on Tomlin, but I'm sorry, it just IS. I will add to that, DL is past his prime. I hate saying that but our defense is pathetic. Our OC's play calling is predictable and boring. Maybe they all need to go? I don't know, but when the team performs as sorry as ours does on a regular basis, changes are needed.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey VA! Nice to see you! Long time no see! I'm with you on loving Troy. It just seems like he's not the passionate player he once was. Although there were reports of him going off on the sidelines in the Philly game. So maybe last night was just an anomaly. He just has had 2 subpar games this year and it might just be that we are watching an old horse finally start to slow down. It actually speaks volumes to his greatness when we're surprised to see him slip a little. I mean it really is pretty unreasonable to think that a human body can do the things we've seen his do for so many years without finally starting to show the wear and tear. You know what I'm saying?

12. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Can you blame him? Why give 120% when no one else is? I would be frustrated too.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I probably wouldn't have used the word "pleasure". LOL.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if Haley and DL need to go or not, it's hard to say when we have so many problems. Is it them or is Tomlin bringing everyone down due to the way he runs the team? If I were the Rooney's I would allow Tomlin to finish out this season, then fire him in the off-season. I would then allow the new coach to decide the fate of all the assistants. He could keep whoever he wanted and bring in whoever he wanted. If he didn't want to retain DL and Haley, then they would need to go too. A head coach needs to be able to bring in his own guys that can operate in his system

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's honestly what I was thinking. I mean when the guys around you just seem to be going through the motions, and poorly at that, it has to be hard to wanna lay it all on the line. I honestly feel for Troy and Ben because they have both been mainstays in our success and now they have to spend the downside of their careers playing with bums.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Well, at least outside of Denver the entire AFC is wide open. While last night was the first time ever I didn't watch a Steelers game to the end, the AFC is so weak that we are "good enough" to be in the thick of things until the end.

17. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed. I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is that this team has no discipline and no passion and that started with Tomlin and it hasn't changed since.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, I believe those things will get straightened out, this team is in transition, they've weeded out the old players, mostly, and are bringing in new ones, I generally like the players they are bringing in but they aren't ready yet. I think Strummer is probably right and they are a year away from playing good football, I'll continue to hope it comes sooner then that but he's probably right.

I'm willing to bet that if the ship does get righted, Tomlin will receive little credit for it around here.

It was tough to watch that game to the end. But you are right, luckily.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i found this around that sum it up the direction this team has took :
    The rats have 3 defensive players left from their SB 18 months ago. Tomlin has 3 defensive players left from Cowher's team 7 YEARS ago. People really don't understand how much Cowher's players contributed to his early success. In his only SB win his defense had 10 starters from Cowher's team. Hell right now going on 8 years since Cowher the best safety is still Troy. The best TE is still Miller. The best CB is still Ike, as bad as that is. The best DL is still Keisel. Not to mention still having a franchise QB

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly don't think Haley is the problem. I think he uses the personnel as effectively as they can be used and he puts them in a position to succeed. Whether they catch or hold on to the ball is not on him ya know? There were lots of open guys tonight and Ben either missed them or they dropped it or they caught it and fumbled it. Bell has been having great games and I think it is because Haley really knows how to use him. AB could have a monster year because Haley knows how to get him the ball in space. I really feel like Haley's system could hit a stride this year but it doesn't matter if we score a million and the d winds up giving up and million and one ya know?

21. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I will give the man all the credit in the world if that happens. I just cant help but notice the lack of passion and lack of preparedness that seems to plague this team week in and week out. At some point, someone has to be held accountable.

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Just on that point: in the second half, yes. In the first half, we were keeping them on their toes. Had Brown not fumbled, we score on that drive. Had Ben found Brown later in the game with a halfway accurate pass, the drive keeps going.

It was the second half where the play-calling was: 2 yard run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt. We needed an extra gear there. Something fresh. We also needed to have more of our receivers contributing in the game. Once they closed down Brown, and with Moore and Archer out, we were looking thin in terms of what weapons we had. Which we shouldn't.

23. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    And to be honest, I did not see one second of this game after halftime.

24. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Maybe start by example? If you can't find the motivation in a rivalry game against the Ravens I can't help myself that there was never any desire to win...

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm with you on that one, BFT. I didn't like the Haley hiring initially, but his system has grown on me.