1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's not the coaches!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by slickster10, Sep 11, 2014.

1. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Why does everyone keep saying fire this coach and that coach. It's not the coaches that's out there fumbling the ball and missing tackles. Until this team has a coach that has TOTAL power you will continue to see what you witnessed tonight. This is going be a brutal season.
    -slick

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Uh, your post seems to contradict itself. You start out by saying it's not the coaches and then you say until we make a coaching change we'll continue to see this garbage. Which is it?

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    LOTS OF THEM AREN'T DOING VERY WELL RIGHT NOW

4. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Coaches have to keep their star players happy which can have a negative effect on the team. There is not one coach on our team that has the power that Bill Bilichick has. Talk about him as much as you want but no PLAYER on that team questions his calls or any of his coordinators calls. It's his way or the highway and that's the same power that Tomlin and Haley needs which they don't have. I guess what I'm trying to say is our owner needs to back our coaches up more.

5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think any of us know how much power Tomlin has. It can be argued that the Steelers downhill descent started the moment Art II stuck his nose in the football affairs and fired Arians. Something is amiss with the Steelers beyond the talent level.

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    It's the coach's job to have his players ready to play. It's his job to make sure that the team has a plan that the players can be expected to execute. Our coaches are failing badly.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

last I saw bilichick and company, they were getting their collective asses handed to them by the dolphins

8. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    FUNDAMENTALS!!!! Its the coaches job to teach fundamentals. If you cant even get the guys to wrap up and not whiff on a tackle there is problems somewhere. Serious problems. I dont have the answer, but someone in the organization better figure it out because its not fixing itself. Its only getting worse!

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was never one to react to a poorly played game and I normally put it on the players but I have to tell you, it looks like a Tomlin coached team is unprepared and sloppy. I know it is only the 2nd game but come on, over the last 3 years the one consistent thing with this team has been the sloppy play and Jeykll & Hyde persona that often shows itself in a single game like last weeks game in which almost a flawless 1st half was the exact opposite of the second half. That could be the players taking a break but week in and week out it is squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, no discipline or accountability and who was the brilliant mind who decided Cam Thomas was going to do well here? That guy should just be cut and grab someone off the PS because they surely can't do any worse.

10. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Let's face it...our team SUCKED last night. I hold EVERYONE accountable, including the coaches.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Guys we have good enough Coaching it's time to face the music . We have guys starting that are not NFL caliber players. 3 huge areas CB'S , DL, and OL. I don't care if God was coaching this Team we can't win with the lack of talent in so many areas.

12. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    So far we haven't gotten much from any of our free agent signings.

13. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Then we have to ask ourself, why our 2nd - 4th round OL / CB are not NFL caliber. Just sayin'. There must be a lack of talent evaluation or miscoaching. And no, I'm absolutly not in favor of a Tomlin let go. Maybe there is just a rethink needed how to approach things.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. If the coaches aren't responsible when the team plays poorly, what the hell is the point of even having coaches? Yes, the players are responsible, but when it's an ongoing systemic problem, then it's on the coaches. This has been an ongoing problem for years now. At what point is Tomlin responsible for fixing problems we've had for a long time now?

15. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another totally embarrassing performance from Ben all the way down. The Steelers looked like they were intimated by the Ravens last night. What we haven't scored a TD in the last 6 or 7 quarters? Flacco outplayed Ben last night. I've said it on here before, (not that I know what I'm talking about), We are only going to go as far as Big Ben takes us. I don't mean to dump on Ben, but your franchise QB has to make it happen. Our glory days are over for a while. We are not a playoff caliber team. I have to face that reality now and not expect so much out of them that way I won't be so disappointed when we lose.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At the point he has full control . I think Coach T likes the 4-3 Tampa 2 D ,but can't force DL out. Colbert is not good at evaluating talent so he is stuck with players that are not good enough and a style of D that doesn't really work as good as it used to.

Also as a former Coach if your Defense can't tackle that's the fault of the DC and his Coaches IMO unless the HC is not giving them time to practice that would be the exception.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    last night was the first time in my life i recorded the second half and i went to sleep , this team is soft and untill now not ready to play ..

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Tomlin's practices aren't effective. You want to blame DL for the defensive problems, fine, but what about our offensive problems? We've had a terrible Oline for 6 years now. We've gone through several Oline coaches and 2 OC's. At what point is Tomlin responsible for ensuring that this gets fixed once and for all? The reality is he has no clue how to fix any of our problems because he has NEVER shown any ability to correct a deficiency with the team. We've slowly gotten worse and worse since 2008, and at no point has Tomlin corrected anything.

As for firing DL, we have no clue if he is allowed to fire DL or not. If not, then you gotta wonder why the Rooney's dont trust Tomlin more. If they don't have full confidence in him, then find someone they do have confidence in

19. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    :this!:
    My grandpa is also trying to be in control of everything, because this is the way he used to live. Wasn't a problem 20 years ago, so why shouldn't it work now? But he is getting old and body & soul are not what they're used to be.
    I think same goes with DL's defense. He has been a master of pressure and of course you can try to sack the QB every passplay, but that is not what you should expect. So this ignorance for not drafting high caliber CB's is costing. And maybe sometimes you should let go.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough I really like Coach T , but something has to be done that's for sure . Maybe time to blow the whole thing up.

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I happen to think we have a ton of talent. We have some holes, but what team doesn't? I mean, Jarvis Jones and Shazier were considered to be studs in the making. Those guys have talent. Pouncey has talent, even though I think he's overrated. Decastro has a stupid amount of talent and is a very smart player. There's a lot of other guys on this team that are absolutely starters in this league. It's not like we're in a full rebuild, because we're not and we shouldn't be. Teams with elite QB's do NOT rebuild, it simply doesn't happen. You will never see GB or Indy have to rebuild. At no point did Indy have to rebuild with Manning there. NE didn't have to rebuild with Brady. We are not rebuilding either. What's happening is our guys are simply not executing. In years past it was obviously due to a lack of talent, that's what everyone said. Since then we have drafted a lot of guys who had a ton of potential and were expected to be good to great players in the NFL. None of those guys have panned out except for Bell. Nothing has changed. So now people are once again saying it's a lack of talent. So I guess we'll keep drafting high potential players, but don't expect anything to change. I guarantee the problems present with this team will be present until Tomlin is finally relieved of his duties.

When Tomlin came to town we were a good all around team and great defensively. We weren't an offensive powerhouse, but we were efficient. The offensive line deteriorated quickly as did the running game. Our defence was still a power house though and we were a very good tackling team. Slowly but surely our tackling became an issue. We were starting to miss a lot of tackles, something this team didn't do in past years. We were still a feared D that punished QB's though and forced turnovers. Then that started to change too. We weren't getting to the QB as much as before and we couldn't force a turnover to save our lives. There's no denying these things have been happening. Out of all our problems, which problem has Tomlin fixed? The Oline is still a mess, tackling is still horrible, we can't sniff the QB let alone hit him, and we don't force turnovers or even accept them when the other team tries to give us the ball. The running game is a bit better, but that's 100% due to Bell's ability. It sure as hell isn't anything the Oline or coaches are doing. Bell is making plays out of nothing. We have an Oline coach who is considered by many to be one of the best line coaches in the game. We have an OC who has shown an ability in the past to develop a very strong running game. Yet our Oline still sucks.

I can't for the life of me figure out what Tomlin has done or is doing that still gets him support around here. Of all our problems that developed over the last few years, which problems has he corrected?

22. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I may not agree with some of the calls or some of the players the coaches put on the field, but the blame is not on their shoulders IMO. They are not the ones executing or lack of executing on the field. Some complain about the play called but don't our offensive and defensive captains have the ability to audible out of it?

And I see a lot saying it is the coaches job to get his guys prepared for the game and that is true to a point. Coaches should be helping in film and giving positive criticism on technique and discussing game plans. But these players are professionals at the highest level and should be able to get themselves prepared for a game. If that means getting themselves hyped up, studying more, or whatever else they should be able to do it on their own. If we need our coaches to get our players hyped, focused, and ready for an intense game then we have a big problem.

23. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Short week (and yes I understand it was short for the Ravens too) so i'll wait and see what kind of product is put on the field next week. Not a happy camper this morning though, that's for sure. I saw horrible execution out there and plenty of times where players were out of position or just plain didn't seem to understand their assignments or the concept of the D they were playing in. You don't miss a guy like Ryan Clark for his older legs and slower reaction time but you do miss guys like him and Farrior, Harrison, etc. for their intelligence and understanding of the D.

The offense certainly doesn't get a pass either. Ben struggled quite a bit last night and although there were plays called that impressed me at times there were too many plays that i felt were the wrong call at the wrong time. I think we may becoming too predictable anymore at times on both sides of the ball.

24. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly. If it's not obvious by now that our team is constantly unprepared and uninspired on the field then I guess it never will be. And, if that doesn't fall on Tomlin, then I may just be watching the wrong sport.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    not to mention punt in the 4th qt down 3 scores and then 2 minute left run the offense while the ravens could kill ben or brown ... ????????'