1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Tomlin bench Bell and Blount?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Aug 21, 2014.

Should Tomlin bench Bell and Blount?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2014.
  1. YES: BELL 1 GAME ONLY

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. YES: BELL MORE THAN 1 GAME

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. YES: BOTH BELL & BLOUNT 1 GAME ONLY

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. YES: BOTH BELL & BLOUNT MORE THAN ONE GAME

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. NO GAMES FOR EITHER OF THEM

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  6. UNDECIDED: TO EARLY TO JUDGE

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Since there was no poll attached, I humbly submit:

A poll!

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Both same game.

Only way to have an impact is to have the team mates come down on them for hurting the team.
    You srew up like this and the entire team suffers due to you.

[video=youtube;5NP8y63Ms4o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP8y63Ms4o[/video]

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    time to usher in the tauren poole era..................:facepalm::shrug:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No. To much riding on every single win and loss, you're only hurting the team and fan base.

Yes, I care more about the Steelers winning then these knuckle heads smoking pot. Their teammates should be coming down on them regardless, don't need a benching to achieve that.

5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Agree with Blast..do i condone what happen No! The boys made a bad choice and will need deal with it.. We are in a critical time sorting through personnel and trying to gel the team for our 2014 season we need to see everyone on the field.

6. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    That's BS Bully mentality. You should punish the player not the team.

7. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    That's a great idea fine them (A lot) and let em play this time. I don't want us to suffer for there mistake and I really want to beat the Browns by 30!!!

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Easy answer. No suspension necessary. Fines, extra running, I don't care what the punishment is, but you can't take the team down like that as the coach. Punish the people who screwed up, not the guys who did what they were supposed to. I'm sure the leaders in the locker room have already had a little chat with Le'Veon and LeGarrette.

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i voted yes each for game
    i think we should show the young fans that this isn't acceptable
    adults can think whatever they want to about the situation
    but I think we should teach our kids better

10. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I personally would release both of them and make a serious point across the board. I think the NFL needs to step up and suspend players for a year for any type of conviction. And then ban their ass if they ever get another one. Playing in the NFL is a privilege that few get to experience and anyone that is out of compliance should get the book thrown at them. These players are role models and heroes to us and our children and they should have to earn back the right to play if they choose to break the law and get stupid. I know that if I get busted for a DUI and possession of weed I'd be fired from my job in a New York minute.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am torn on this bettisfan. On one hand I agree but then my own selfish interests won't allow me to have this kind of treatment leveled to a team I have been a fan since 1974.. The problem as I see it is if we as an organization levy our own penalties and take action against Bell and Blount then other teams that are not so ethical or care about preserving a the good name would simply turn a blind eye to their team transgressions. So yes we can release them and your right that is probably the way to go but will the other teams follow suit? Not likely. I guess this is why we have the NFL and the CBA or players union. Neither the players union nor the NFL are doing a good enough job if you ask me .

In an ideal world there would be only players who really wanted to play and not squander nor jeopardize their opportunity to play a game they love, make alot of money in the process and stay clean in the process.

I remember an organization I was once proud of.. Unfortunately I am losing faith ...

Bman

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Blount apologized in this meeting with the press tonight. Bell said "I'm only gonna answer questions that have to do with football". Then they said "are you surprised you got to play tonight?" and he said "I'm only gonna answer questions that have to do with football". Then another reporters said "are you GLAD you got to play tonight?" and he said "absolutely".

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly wonder if there are any leaders in that locker room. Not vocal ones anyway. What I would really like is for Heath to get them both by the collar and tell them to get their heads out of their butts or he will get it out for them.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I agree BFT.. Thing is though Heath is not our boy. He is an amazing TE and very soft spoken. He wont say anything.. Your right though there needs to be locker leadership. Ben has to be the guy that leads this team on offense

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I'm with you on Ben. I'm to the point that I just want Ben to seriously get on these guys playing o-line. I mean how can he STILL be patient with them?!

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It's time.. We have been patient the last few years awaiting some progress and for the cohessiveness of an Oline unit.. For myself the hiring of Munch made me think we would be stout very quickly.

Ben is a leader though so he will make it right if he feels like the O-line is not doing a proper job.

Bman

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've honestly felt that Ben has even been sorta "loyal to a fault" at times. I think of Ben as a better "teammate" than a "leader". Not to say that he's NOT a leader but just that he really seems to go the extra mile to compliment guys that most of us would like to just punch in the face. LOL.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes your right I think. Ben is to his teammates the same way Ben is to the players.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he ever made the jump when guys like Bettis left. He was to much about him for too long so now that's what these guys have in that locker room

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Simple, YES!!!! First off you did it with HOLMES. Secondly it's illegal and banned by the NFL. Thirdly, the less you do the more you Condone it. Some things are more important than a football game.

Cajun-

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't remember the Steelers benching Holmes? They traded him away obviously but I don't recall the benching but Holmes was also a repeat offender.

I agree that some things are more important then football but I don't agree that this is one of them. Apparently though, Tomlin disagrees with me because he said a suspension is on the table.

I think they are nuts for risking a loss that could effect the outcome of a playoff berth, look how close they came last season.

Fine them, don't care how much they make, nobody likes getting money taking out of their pocket.

23. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Currently I think it is too early to start saying what type of suspension they should get. Although Blount has had prior infractions in the league so I wouldn't be as apposed to any sort of immediate suspension on him. Since the league (Goodell) is going to do whatever it is that he wants to do I say wait it out.

If anyone is really set on punishing them "NOW", maybe impose a curfew or appoint a chaperon/body guard (paid for by Bell/Blount) picked by the Steelers that will check in with someone in the organization on their activities.

Do I condone anything that Bell/Blount did, no. However like all cases things need to go through the legal process before any other punishment is delivered.

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Holmes was arrested for possession 10-23-08. He was suspended ( benched ) against the Giants. Holmes was actually benched by Tomlin twice. He did have other legal troubles. After getting into trouble again with the law he tweeted it was time to " wake-n-bake" ( reference to getting high ) in april of 10' and was promptly traded to the Jets on 4-11-10 for a 5th rd pick that we turned in to A.Brown. We may have lost that Giants game but we ended up winning in the long run.

Also we must remember middle school kids, high school kids and even college kids are looking, How we react sends messages. Fines are one thing and can only be so much. A Gamecheck is 6.25% of your yearly salary and that is significant even to a dope head. Holmes never became that socially responsible adult/player. from the sounds of things coming from Bell's mouth I fear he'll go the way of Holmes.

Cajun-

25. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :this!: