1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Heyward moving to the right side.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jun 7, 2014.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Heyward will be on the right side starting the season. I'vewonder if Worilds production was due to Heyward going beast mode. That is what all of our great OLBs have had next to them.

2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good news for JJ then I suppose. ;)

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, Heyward is our best DE, so that is where he should be.

4. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    the right is where he originally played until he took over for ziggy. tuitt has always played left for notre dame, they may view him as the starter there already

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I think they have Tuitt penciled in as the starter. Mitchell seems to love him and is comparing him to Aaron Smith. I'm quickly falling in love with our defense next year. Troy can go back to being troy and can stop lining up at lber.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think people need to temper their expectations, you don't come in and wreak havoc your first year in this defense, too much time spent thinking. Year 2 is when they get comfortable, I'm more excited about JJ then I am about Tuitt or Shazier. I love that we drafted those guys but I'm not expecting a lot of production from rookies.

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    keeping it real

maybe the game has simply passed Dick and his scheme

Tomlin and Colbert missed in yet another draft

How much longer are we as fans to put up with 8-8 seasons

we need playmakers

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Roster, not scheme has been the culprit, thats keeping it real.

10. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    our 27th ranked roster

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don't have a rank yet.

12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    oh, I believe we have a thread about our current ranking by someone somewhere

just saying

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure there is. We'll find out how much the game has passed DL by at seasons end. Your avatar should be very fitting then. :smiley1:

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    BF, pretty sure darcrav was being sarcastic that whole time.

Much of Worilds' stretch was during the time that Keisel was out, Heyward was on the right, and Ziggy was starting at LDE. That was 4 full games (weeks 11, 12, 14, and 15), plus parts of other games Keisel missed.

Heyward has already spent a ton of time at RDE. I kind of thought it had already been established that he'd play there. Cam Thomas and Tuitt will play on the left side.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well I knew she was when referring to HOF thread but yes, after going back and rereading. I missed the rest :facepalm:

Not my fault if she refuses to use green font though.

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    give me a break
    I'm out of ink

17. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    thats because u are a realists.. some of the others have be drinking the rookie purple kool aide.. its tuff enough for a D rookie anywhere but especially in DLs D..

HINES

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm glad you posted this snack. I knew he played the right side and was confused by this thread. he played very well from the right. even in the sub packages he was on the right and usually ziggy on the left. I guess I'm not losing it. I just didn't feel like going to find out really. thanks amigo.

I've seen him do it in college, heyward can take over a game. when he's zoned in watchout. we saw a little glimps of that last year. sign him.:stogie:

:cool:

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Aaron Smith played on the left.

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Hayward stayed on the left and Ziggy went right

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You have that backwards. The only time Heyward has ever been on the left is when Ziggy was out and Keisel was in. Which was almost never. Maybe a couple games. Ziggy has played almost exclusively on the left his entire career. Maybe 100% exclusively. I don't remember seeing him take any snaps on the right, even in sub-packages.

Heyward has taken the majority of his NFL snaps at RDE.

22. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    While I think it is high praise to compare him to Aaron Smith, I really don`t know enough about him yet, to know if that`s true.
    What I find insulting, is, somewhere in that article you linked to, the writer seems to feel that it would be a disadvantage, to have Brett Keisel starting at end in any game this year.
    I don`t remember the EXACT quote, but it was along the lines of...
    "Brett could show him the ropes, but the Steelers would be in a bad spot if Keisel actually had to play any snaps in a game during the regular season, due to the fact he is 35 yrs old, and his best years are behind him"...
    I HIGHLY disagree with that assesment!!!(however u spell it!)
    The only time Keisel is a liability, is when he is injured, and on the bench.
    Sure, it happens more with age, but, when healthy, he has had some of his best games in the last 2 seasons!
    As long as he is good to go, physically... They are losing absolutely nothing, when he is on the field!
    Actually, I would say gaining something, with his knowledge, that Tuitt can learn from, watching him play from the bench!!
    RANT OVER!
    GO STEELERS!:yeehaw:
    (edit... OK, I over-reacted a little... upon re-reading, his actual quote was "there is some concern if Keisel had to start'... fair enough... but my only concern would be him getting injured, NOT, what he could do on the field!... Just a little hyper-sensitive to one of my fave Steelers being slighted in the media... My Bad..)and, btw, Like your new avatar, too...:thumbs_up:

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Heyward replaced Ziggy on the left side and started the next 12 games on the left side.http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pittsburgh-steelers&id=7063&src=desktop

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    No. ESPN is wrong. Turn on a game. Do you have any on your DVR or anything? He played LDE when he and Keisel were in the game at the same time, and Ziggy was on the bench. Any time Ziggy was on the field, Ziggy was the one at LDE, and Cam was at RDE. That was a lot, because Keisel got hurt and Ziggy returned to the starting lineup.

Ziggy only played on the left. Ziggy played a lot. If Ziggy was in, Cam was either on the bench (early in the season) or at RDE (rest of the season, when Keisel was out - not positive but I think that's 4 whole games, plus significant time in other games). Furthermore, if you look at previous years, Cam typically subbed in at RDE and someone else came in at LDE (Ziggy for Smith, or Woods for Ziggy). This shouldn't be a huge shock. Ziggy was drafted to take over for Smith at LDE, and Heyward for Keisel at RDE. Hence that's where most of their reps came.

I'm not one for gifs and stills and screenshots so I'm having trouble proving this. Anyone feel like backing me up on this?

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Sounds about right to me. I can't give you exact snap counts without reviewing, but your premise is logical to me. Ziggy only played LDE (sometimes lining up over center), and when he wasn't in, Cam replaced him. Keisel only played RDE, and when he wasn't in, Cam replaced him.

I'm just going off the top of my head here, but I'd say his snaps at LE were probably only a third of his overall participation last year.