1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

don't mock me

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 2, 2013.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this is what i found from deljzc ( i think anybody remember him from the old board ) :

I'm not going to get into the late round players yet but let's start discussing
    reasonable targets for us by round.

Round 1 (pick #15):

Assuming Barr, Mack and Watkins are gone out of my 1B group (Clowney, Matthews and Robinson are sure to be gone), that leaves Taylor Lewan, C.J. Mosley and Louis Nix as "1B" talents I would hope could fall to us at pick #15. To me, those are the surest fits for our team and have the least amount of bust potential and all could get on the field very quickly.

A middle of the run selection would be Clinton-Dix, who I have as a 1C talent but could fit very quickly into what we need.

Worst case (although not necessarily bad) would be a Cornerback (Dennard or Gilbert), a slight reach on the high ceiling Roby or the receiver Marquis Lee. Lots of risk to me with these selections and you cross your fingers Colbert/Tomlin get it right.

Round 2 (pick #46)

My ideal "fall" would probably be Bradley Roby, CB from OSU. Maybe he runs a 4.5. Maybe there are some off-field issues. Whatever happens, if Roby is available and I didn't take a cornerback in round 1, he's my top choice.

Another target I'd like to see available would be Austin Seferian-Jenkins, the big TE out of Washington. He's be an interested asset and replacment to Matt Spaeth as he grows into the system here.

Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of value in the round 2 receiver group right now (not if those that are suppose to get drafted go). I think Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews are on the radar, but don't think they would excite me. There's some risk with Robinson and some patience will be required by the coaches. Mathews might be a little maxed out but I could see his use opposite Antonio Brown here.

I think Calvin Pryor would be very good value, but suspect he will be taken. I would stay away from Deone Buchanon this early in the draft and don't think a strong safety is really what we need anyway.

There is a pretty big group of pass rushing OLB prospect that should be in play, but not sure I'd push that position this early in the draft. Players like Marcus Smith, Trent Murphy, Trevor Reilly, Vic Beasley, Atteochu, Jethcoat, Van Noy. I guess I feel if there are that many available, maybe wait and see who falls out of the group. A lot depends on what we do with Worilds. If we lose Worilds, taking the best/highest rates of this group might not be a bad thing.

There are the tier-2 cornerback group: Fuller, Purifoy and Roberson. They would be okay (like the WR's). I would worry about Mitchell and Verrett but I think we'll stay away from both because they are poor tacklers.

Round 3 (pick #97)

We are right on the fringe of top-100 and you hope someone unexpected falls.

At safety, I like both Jimmie Ward and Terrence Brooks at this spot and both could be available.

At receiver, I would target Martavis Bryant and his upside or Bruce Ellington and his versatility.

At cornerback, I would target Jean Baptist Stanley as a project bigger corner that could be a real matchup weapon for us as needed.

At inside linebacker, I would consider guys like Shayne Skov, Yawin Smallwood and Christian Kelsey. I think I like Smallwood for our system the best as a potential pair with Timmons.

At OT, only Morgan Moses appeals to me as a potential LT type. I think James, Richardson and Henderson are decent RT prospects and much like what we have on the roster.

At Tight End, I see some value in CJ Fiedorowicz but expect Niklas to be off the board.

There would be some value at OLB if one of the guys listed above falls.

With that thinking in line, I have some comments.

1. I know people are against Nix in round 1, but if we need D-line help (Hood and Keisel gone), where are we going to get it? Unless you force Hageman at pick #15 or Tuitt at pick #46, what else are real options? I think you would be reaching with any other D-line prospect, including those at pick #97. Maybe I can buy DeQuan Jones then, but most of the 3rd round graded guys aren't really ideal 3-4 D-line prospects. I agree there are some interesting late round (4th round on) guys, but can we bank on them to replace a LOT of snaps from Hood and Keisel?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with some early combine numbers coming in, I may have to go back to my original thinking of OL in the first. I do think we go offense and keep up our offense defense first round order we have been making since MT has been here. it is the offenses turn this year. originally I had erving as my OT, but he stayed in school.

1. kouandjio OT bama............ has the goods to work with and MM will fix what he's lacking, which isn't that much.
    2. fuller CB VT..................... he has the goods. I'm sticking with him here.
    3. still in progress.:cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    scratch that idea. kouandjio has an arthritic knee. to bad for the kid. lewan looked pretty good, but I've always had a hard time with him that high.:cool:

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, too bad for the 'Bama kid, I had high hopes. I agree with you mac. No m atter how good Lewan's workout was, I just don't see him as a Top 15 pick.

That being said, I fully expect some team to take Lewan Top 14.

I know you are high on Yankey mac, I am too. He definitely ran slower than expected. While he has the size to play on the outside I'm not sure if the athleticism is there. Could he do it in a pinch? maybe, but it looks like he will be playing OG in the NFL.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm higher on Xavier Su'a-Filo personally. He played left tackle before making the switch to guard after his mormon mission. He's got great footwork.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    botonio, turner, Thomas, XSF, britt had decent combines. Thomas from Clemson is only 6-3 and played LT, but he's got those 34 inch arms too. similar to beachum. yea steel, I was surprised at yankey's 40, not that it means a lot for linemen but we will want some quickness if we are going to the ZBS. turner intrigues me. several of these guys can play some LT and are going to be decent guards too. the herd is thinning though. I will say Richardson,moses and pachant looked better than I expected. moses looked like moses in his 10yd. split though.

would you guys consider lewan if he fell? better yet do you think the steelers would?:cool:

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I meant to get this out prior to the Combine starting up, but better late than never. I am currently going on the assumption of comp picks in the 3rd and 5th.

1. WR Mike Evans (Texas A&M)
    2. LB Christian Jones (Florida St)
    3. S Terrence Brooks (Florida St)
    4. TE Crockett Gillmore (Colorado St)
    5a. OT Michael Schofield (Michigan)
    5b. CB Walt Aikens (Liberty)
    6. CB Aaron Colvin (Oklahoma)
    7. NT Beau Allen (Wisconsin)

First and foremost, I want a WR in Round 1 or Round 2. While not a critical need, I think we can get a GREAT WR with either of those picks.

Secondly, the health of Sean Spence is integral in knowing how high our ILB priority is. I have to go on the assumption he will not recover. If that is the case, then I think we need an ILB early in this draft. If Spence IS INDEED in the mix, then my first 2 picks will either be WR/CB, or CB/WR. However, I have to go forward as if Spence will not be available. I know I am higher on Christian Jones than most, but I think everyone will see what I am seeing come Monday when he puts on an athletic clinic at the Combine.

I really like a Safety with our 3rd round comp pick and as I have been, I have an eye on Brooks.

I prefer a TE than can both catch and block. I really like Gillmroe as this type of TE. Could be a mid round gem.

If I can't get a CB early in this draft, t hen I think we need to take 2 of them. I'd like to walk away from this draft with a CB with some size. Aikens fits the bill. Colvin tore his ACL in the Senior Bowl, so he will drop. If we could grab him in the 6th, I think that would be a coup.

I initially wanted a RB, but I think if we can retain Dwyer and LSH, we should be fine in that department. Bell is going to be the bell cow anyway with alot of 3rd down work. I don't think we NEED to draft one. So in lieu of that, I will add another big wide body on the D-line in Beau Allen.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely think Lewan is on the Steelers radar, however, I think he goes well before our pick. Remember Lane Johnson went #4 last year. Too many teams infront of us with severe OT needs (St Louis, Jacksonville, Atlanta, NY Giants).

As far as OG goes, Zack Martin may be the #1 OG in this draft. Plus he can play some OT. I think he is clearly ontop of Yankey as a potential trade down option for us. I still don't think the Steelers go down this road though.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw the steelers interviewed ebron and evans and so have the ravens.

I'm not sure even without spence we will be taking an inside guy that high. garvin and Williams will get a shot. I read that Colbert is thinking spence could be ready to compete.

I truly think CB has to be a lot higher pick. we need at least a number 2 guy out of this draft. I'm still on the fuller / roby bandwagon if they are there minimum rd. 2. we need guys to get on the field at that position. this is allens last year under contract too. I think we have the option for another, but that also puts gay into his last. we are thin there.

I also am liking the kid from Kentucky as a late pick at NT or as an UDFA. rumph.

I'm warming up to the other kid from mich. you have there. he put up a good day. I went and watched a little of him after. :cool:

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Schofield really good rise over the next couple of months. He had a really good senior bowl and looked good today.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can't wait until the 5th round to take a CB they need to take one early in the draft and then get one in the later rounds. Not interested in Colvin they said he might not be able to play this season.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    things are taking shape around here now. lots of moves are and have been made the last couple of days with more to come, i'm sure. i'm feelin this could be something I could live with:

1. brandin cooks WR Ore.St. 5-10 189 4.33 16 reps. 36"vert. biletnicoff award winner. would be a solid #2. two very good years of production. legit deep speed with good hands. we are lacking a deep guy. not a tall guy, but we have two I think they will give a shot to. wheaton to the slot.

2. billy turner OT/OG So.D.St. 6-5 325 5.16 can play LT. very good mobility to the second level and nasty run blocker. could play guard too. munch gets a mobile toy and a LT capable BU.

3. jaylen Watkins CB Fla.St. 5-11 194 4.41 22 reps. good cover man. under rated corner.

4. dion bailey SS/ILB USC 6-0 201 4.66 very good short area quickness. is a playmaker. does a lot similar to troy near the LOS. can play in a similar role that troy was last year as a hybrid LB/SS.

5. phillip gaines CB Rice 6-0 193 4.38 two time conf. USA 1st team and pre season POY. under the radar cover man. targeted 40 times last year and allowed 13 catches. he's got game.

5. khairi fortt OLB/ILB Cal. 6-2 248 4.70 30 reps. ex- penn st. OLB. can play inside in a 3-4. good ball player. fights through blocks to make tackles. has some range.

6. Dri Archer WR/RB/Ret. kent St. 5-8 173 4.26 20 reps. small but tough and was used to run inside some also, but not his game really. used as a legit WR too. capable of going the distance at any time.

7. tre boston FS/SS UNC 6-0 204 4.59 just have a feeling he's the FS pick this year. good center fielder. could clean up some tackling, but is slick at the FS position. has range and puts himself in position to make picks from that spot. he was one of the guys at the combine I saw MT really clapping and cheering on during drills. may mean nothing but he was willing him on heavy.

:cool:

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like it Mac. I'm not in love with the first two picks for the Steelers, but each of them are pretty good players. Everything you did after that looks beautiful to me. I really dig Phillip Gaines too :smiley1:

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    you really think archer makes it to the 6th? I wish he would cause that would be a steal

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's a possibility. a lot of teams don't scout the MAC real heavy and archer was injured for the first 4 games last year. hopefully he slides under the radar some. remember we pick in the middle of the round too. I'd love to get him. some teams may see him as a returner only type player. he can do a lot more and actually makes that returner spot more of a two position player on game day. he could be the 3rd RB or 5th WR.:cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well it's draft day. here's my final guess.

1. kyle fuller CB VT
    2. kyle van noy OLB/ILB BYU
    3c. martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    4. CJ fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    5. Wesley Johnson T/G/C Vandy
    5c. kevin pierre-Louis OLB/ILB BC
    6. tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
    6c. Shaquille Richardson CB Arizona
    7. Beau allen DT Wisconsin

priority UDFA, if they go undrafted
    1 shaquil barrett OLB Col.St.
    2 morgan breslin OLB USC
    3 Kerry hyder DE Texas Tech
    4 calvin Barnett DT Okla.St.

:cool:

17. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'd take this, but I'd be crossing my fingers that Van Noy can rush the passer like he did in 2012. Oh, and that he would learn how to tackle too ;)

19. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Denard or Gilbert falls, and I think they are both clearly better than Fuller.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL elvis:lolol::cool:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not bad got me 3 players I liked, and darn near a 4th. isn't McCullers just a beau allen clone? or visa versa? LOL:smiley1::cool:

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think I get partial credit for turning you into a Wesley Johnson fan, Mac. Kidding.:lol:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not bad, Mac!

What drew you to Richardson? I don't know anything about him except what I looked up since we took him.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good job, mac! I'm impressed that you got 3 right. I've gotten ZERO correct the last three years of mocking, lol.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011