1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't mind the big man McCullers at all. Planet theory. HUGE man. decent feet. Good value here.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Watched him a lot. If you can coach him up the sky is the limit. Boy doesn't even know how strong he is. He just don't use it all the time

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hey... if you're going to have a small, fast ILB like Shazier, you may as well get a human wall to keep blockers off of him.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Quick story on Daniel. Two years ago at practice in a one on one drill he lined up across Dallas Thomas. Dallas was talking smack and Daniel put him on his butt

Dallas was pissed hollar for tiny to come over coaches said no Daniel said let him and he put both down. He can be a freak

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if they coach up this beast we have a terrific front 3 again

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Love this pick! This is exactly the kind of roll of the dice you should take with a compensatory 6th. Love it.

Now give me one of the Gator CBs or Jeffcoat as a project OLB and I'll be happy as a clam.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree with the others here- great value.

That's what I think of him, too. His size is a negative at times, even for a guy who's job it is to mainly plug gaps and take on blocks. He seems to take plays off often. I think if you can capture a spark in him, he could be something.

9. you cant teach sheer size. The front seven got an injection of youth and talent which will help the secondary. Solid draft for the steelers imo. :yeehaw::steelflag::herewego::drinks::herewego!:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah just gave every team in the AFC north an A.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are still a handful of guy we met with who are still available. Maybe Shaq Barrett at 230. Maybe Jeffcoat.

12. I take a flyer on sentrel henderson out out of miami

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah... around half the league, and nobody got less than a B. Talk about kissing @ss

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

15. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    NFL.com had him graded for rounds 2-3. He is definitely a Mastadon. Hope he turns into a huge steal.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  17. OVERVIEW

The North Carolina prep began his college career at Georgia Military College in 2010, weighing nearly 400 pounds when he arrived on campus. As a freshman, he appeared in eight games and had 27 tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks with four passes batted, one interception and one forced fumble. Became a top junior college recruit in '11, recording 37-9-2 in 10 games. Transferred to Tennessee in '12 and won the starting nose tackle job in camp, registering 39-5.5-1 with one pass batted, one forced fumble and one blocked kick in 12 games (seven starts). Started 12 games in '13 and had 33-4.5-.5 with one blocked kick. Did not run at the NFL Scouting Combine because of a strained right hamstring.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Rare size with vines for arms, an enormous wingspan and exceptional mass to occupy space and hold up multiple blockers -- has clear two-gap potential. Looks every bit the part with a relatively lean build for a 350-pounder -- carries his weight well with some muscle definition and good overall body thickness. Can overpower zone blockers with sheer size. Very durable and has not missed any games to injury throughout his career.

WEAKNESSES

Lets his pads rise (first move is up), gets outleveraged and does not hold his ground as well as a man his size should. Gets turned out of the hole and sealed. Duck-footed short-stepper with limited play range -- does not make plays outside the box. Average body power to roll his hips and generate torque. Limited pass-rush potential (confirmed by 1.5 career sacks) -- is late off the ball, does not collapse the pocket and stays blocked too long. Must improve his hand use to disengage. Exited high school pushing 400 pounds and weight has fluctuated in the past.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE

A big-boned, short-area plugger with some underachiever traits, McCullers has raw tools that could become special if he learns to harness the innate strength in his body and pairs with a DL coach who can refine his mechanics.-Nolan Nawrocki

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think I would have lost a $10,000 if someone had bet me Christian Jones wouldn't be drafted. This has to go beyond just one failed test. The guy is way too talented not to be drafted.

I don't know how far Purifoy's off the field troubles will go. Who knows, he could be looking at serious jailtime. Not sure. But he is the most talented player left on the board.

Not sure why Antonio Richardson hasn't been drafted yet. Some tape out there of him putting Clowney on his rear.

The list is too long of guys who should have been drafted by now.

If he goes undrafted I would have Howard Jones 's # handy.

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    FWIW if we take Purifoy here it would give us 7 players in Narwocki's top-148. Not too shabby. According to him, Shazier and Tuitt are top-15 talent and McCullers is #52. This draft really helped out the front 7.

20. seantrel, hurst or skov, some good players still available

21. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What about August when we can see all these dudes on Hard Knocks! Ha ha!

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011