1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I suppose it could be Shaq Barrett, but this seems early.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good value here, and I mocked him to us, but I didn't think he'd still be part of the plan at this point.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Blah! I was worried about taking Zumwalt after having him in for a visit. I don't like him at all. Failed drug test or not, Christian Jones is twice the player Zumwalt is.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Zumwalt? I would have been very good with this pick had we not already taken an ILB, but this is a head scratcher for me…. Are they looking to move Timmons outside? He had mentioned it last offseason.

7. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

well we ha 3 solid picks in a row so i guess we were due for that sttreak of 3 good picks in a row to come to an end...

HINES

8. 6'4 235lbs

OVERVIEW

Highly recruited inside linebacker who also played basketball as a California prep. Verballed to Stanford, but signed with UCLA. Played 11 games as a true freshman in 2010 -- injuries thrust him into the starting lineup at middle linebacker the final four games and he produced 32 tackles, three for loss and three sacks. Played all 13 games in '11, starting four (three at weakside linebacker, one at MLB), and notched 60-6-0 with a pass breakup and an interception. Playing in a 3-4 in '12 -- started 9-of-13 games (five at left inside linebacker, four at left outside linebacker) and totaled 71-8-2 with a pass breakup, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Did not play against Colorado after a scooter accident required stitches, leaving him unable to wear a helmet. Started all 13 games in '13 (12 at LILB, one at LOLB) and registered 93-5.5-0 with two interceptions and three forced fumbles. Did not bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine (left shoulder).
    ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Very competitive with a fiery, on-field temperament. Explosive hitter. Throws his body around recklessly and times up the blitz well (disruptive presence). Is around the ball a lot. Very good football intelligence -- lines up teammates and makes adjustments. Versatile and has played all linebacker positions and contributed as a fullback in short-yardage situations. Defensive tone-setter -- has a love for the game and it shows. Plays big on big stages -- capped his career with co-MVP effort in the Sun Bowl vs. Virginia Tech, when he knocked Logan Thomas unconscious and returned an interception 43 yards.

WEAKNESSES

Does not play strong. Mechanical mover. Tight-hipped with average change of direction. Gets outflanked to the corner vs. speed. Average knockback body power -- does not strike with thump to drive back ball carriers. Catches too much. Struggles to disengage from blocks when he is locked up. Limited coverage range. Has small hands and a relatively short wingspan given his height.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE

High-energy overachiever with a special-teams temperament. Stands out most for his competitiveness, effort, versatility and swagger. Brings the feisty type of attitude desired on a Jeff Fisher or Jim Schwartz defense. Will factor immediately on special teams and could work his way into a starting lineup.-Nolan Nawrocki

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Headscratcher for me as well at the moment. That leaves us with how many ILBs? Or is this a project?

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hear what you're saying, but the NFL is getting really strict on drugs. I mean, Gordon just tested positive for pot, and could miss the entire season.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Zumwalt is a OLB and Shazier is a ILB.

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    watched him every week. he is as overrated as they come. he might make a good guard but a tackle he is not

13. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

who the hell knows.. 4 of the 5 5 available guys were CBs.... so we take a LBer? only thing i can see it that there are still 5 good CBs lest so we figure we will pick again in 15 picks and can get one of the 5 then? and thats solid thinking if the FO sees all 5 of them about the same and no one of them really stands out from the others? who knows

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder if Shazier is pegged as a future edge rusher. He's got the explosion for it.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn't think he'd still be in the mix, but here's a lot to like about Zumwalt, and it's possible he'd used in a less traditional way. He would be able to have an immediate special teams impact, though.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    In our scheme both project as ILBs unless our front office sees Shazier as a edge rusher.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Zumwalt was mostly an ILB in UCLA's 3-4, no? I could see him being used at OLB, though. He's got tweener traits.

18. I'll take it

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    special team guy to replace carter or sly ?

20. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    if nothing else he could be insurance if worilds isn't signed long term

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought when the pick was made it said OLB, that's what I was going off from.

22. from SI

[h=2]Analysis[/h]Zumwalt lines up as an inside linebacker in UCLA's base 3-4. He is seldom on the field when they go to their different sub packages. When I first started watching Zumwalt, I thought there was no way he could play at the next level. He struggled to shed and just wasn't a strong point of attack player. The more tape I watched, the better I liked him. While he may only play about 50-60% of the defensive downs, he is productive. He has adequate size at about 6'4 - 235. His play speed is good, but he does have some tightness in his hips, and his overall change of direction is adequate. While not an overpowering player, he is tough and plays hard. He has good instincts and can find the ball. While he can have some trouble getting off blocks, he does show good ability to slip blocks and finds a way to fill at the point and make some plays. In pass coverage, he has a good drop and shows awareness in zone. He doesn't have the suddenness and speed to be a consistent man coverage type. I haven't seen him used enough as a pass rusher to grade that skill. I see him as a late pick who can make a team as a solid backup and special teams player. He needs to get stronger and add some bulk. He best fits in a 3-4 type scheme, but he may also be able to play Sam in a 4-3 defense.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/draft-2014/tracker/#ixzz31LZ0E4xK

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Definitely a ST pick in my opinion. If he makes the roster. He'll have to battle Williams & Garvin. I don't know if I see the athleticism to play OLB. I really don't like how he has to make a scene after every tackle he makes

24. crap here comes the when does the gay guy get picked talk, if not why? At least on the NFL network this is what they are discussing now.