1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I did like the graphic they put up of all the similar players to Archer (Tavon Austin, Dexter McCLuster, etc) and based on measurable he's the best of the bunch.

2. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I hope you're right. I think Desir is going to be a quality DB.

3. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    it seems the Steelers need EVERYTHING anymore... except for average secondary depth.

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Don;t do it, you have everything to live for. We'll always have the blitz!

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    just saw on twitter that running back coach said they had archer sub 4.2. dang that's fast

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    well between our 2nd round pick and now only 3 cbs were taken .baptiste mc dougle and gaines .. i hope someone will last to our pick in the 4th tomorrow .. good night (moorning)

:bowdown:

7. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    hey, you know what? the Steelers are nowhere close to a complete team right now and reaching for unneeded players like Dri goddamn Archer does absolutely nothing to address their actual needs. i know you don't think CB is an important position to worry about, but in a passing league, it's nothing a real team can afford to ignore for the better part of a decade.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    [h=4]STRENGTHS[/h] Rare burst, acceleration and top-end speed to take the corner and create big plays. Can fly by MAC competition with top gear. Very good agility, balance, vision and creativity. Weaves through a crowd and can find daylight. Soft-handed and plucks the ball with ease. Extremely strong pound-for-pound. Very good career all-purpose yardage. Good versatility -- contributes as a runner, slot receiver and return man. Four career kickoff-return TDs (and was kicked away from). Clocked a 4.16-second 40-yard dash in 18 steps on one official handheld combine watch, tying Calvin Johnson’s NFL Scouting Combine record for fewest steps. Has a 38-inch vertical jump.[h=4]WEAKNESSES[/h] Very short and rail thin with no strength or running power. Not a tackle-breaker and goes down easy on contact. Limited inside runner. Can be knocked off routes easily and struggles catching on contact. Not a nuanced route runner. Very marginal, underpowered blocker. Could stand to do a better job securing the ball in traffic. Is not ideally built to withstand a full NFL season.

9. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    i'd be very shocked if Desir fell to the Steelers in the 4th round. i wouldn't be shocked, though, if they passed on him again. CB just isn't a need for Super Bowl-caliber teams anymore...

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just keep laughing here thinking about all the "experts" saying how Ben was promised a big wr and they pick Archer, lol, here ya go Ben :lolol:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Read before that he ran a 4.18 unofficial. 4.18. Compare his times to the other RB's: http://thesteelersfans.com/2014-nfl-combine-results-running-backs/
    Also, he averaged 26.7 yards per K/R. CB's in a deep draft who are cog pieces are a lot easier to get than RB's with kick return abilities who are faster than anyone else in the draft.

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ok. I am not the best person in the world but I am taking a break. I don't appreciate that kind of language. you really need to check yourself. I respect your opinion but come on.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Wait, what are you trying to say? I thought you didn't want a CB.

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Exactly, this is just Chris Rainey wearing a Kent State uniform.

Tiny build? Check
    Really fast? Check
    Supposed special teams dynamo? Check
    Loves to fumble? Check

It is abundantly clear that Haley loves this kind of player, but for the life of me I don't know why. I mean he's had one of these guys everywhere he's been with no real success to speak of for that type of player. Head scratcher for sure.

15. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    i wanted two kickers, three punters, four quarterbacks, and a full practice squad of fullbacks.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We haven't had a shut down corner since Rod Woodson and amazingly enough won two superbowls and went to 3. All with average corners.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

18. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    sorry if "goddamn" bothers you.

keep on drafting the Chris Raineys of the world. he's a good example of what having one real strength in a smorgasbord of weaknesses can translate to in the pros: strictly ST guy. he could be more than that, but i wouldn't hold my breath. meanwhile, the positions that they actually NEED to build up depth-wise are being ignored.

19. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    Oh, not true. He was definitely on the radar and Steelers were looking for the speed back to add to the power of Bell and La Garett. Thought this one would come later but then the Stains started a run on backs.

20. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    and what they have now are NOT average corners. they have Ike Taylor and that's it. he's on his last legs. it's time to start building their depth back up, but they would rather pick up luxuries.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is most of us are tired of seeing "COG" piece CB's. Maybe a talented CB that can make plays happen regardless of scheme would be nice to have one of these days.

22. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    LMAO, you're so emotional

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

i like cortez allen and ...lebau sayd we have more cb already in that people think .. means they are playng shamarko at cb

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have had pretty good luck with Kent State players in the past though Lambert, Harrison so maybe Archer will work out too.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the only problem of archer is : will he survive in the nfl ?