1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's a list of guys who would be a good value tomorrow. Not advocating for all these players, just giving the info of who's still left that would be a good value tomorrow. Let me know if I forgot anyone.

WR
    Marquise Lee
    Allen Robinson
    Donte Moncrief
    Jordan Matthews
    Cody Latimer

TE
    Amaro
    Troy Niklas
    ASJ

OT
    Kouandjio
    A Richardson
    Morgan Moses

OG
    Xavier Su'a-filo
    Billy Turner

OLB/DE/NT
    Demarcus Lawrence
    Scott Crichton
    Nix (can't imagine him being there)
    Tuitt
    Ra’shede Hageman
    Kony Ealy
    Jeremiah Attachou
    Carl Bradford
    Kyle Van Noy

CB
    Marcus Roberson
    Jaylen Watkins
    Phillip Gaines

S
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Terrence Brooks

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Obviously he wasn't our pick

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Had some dinner and a shot or 3 of Cabo.

Shazier may end up being a great pick for us down the line. It doesn't negate the fact... FACT that our secondary NEEDS dire help. Now, if they wrangle some magic and get us a few gems in the next couple rounds, all is forgiven. May turn out to be a great draft. But we can't let it go unaddressed until the 4th round and hope for the best. This is a passing league. Period. If you want to win, you'd better be able to stop it.

Just please, please, please don't let this be another Huey Richardson.

4. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    one good thing is hes a model kid.. from a good home.. his dad is the dolphins chaplin... his dad is his best friend and they talk 1-3 times a day .. so i think hes a great kid... now if he can just play FB... lots of good kids out therre that cant play.... but thats a plus that he wont be in trouble all the time .. i hope ..

HINES

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, and 9 other teams passed on him, including the all knowing GM extraordinaire, Ozzie, who actually took the same position as we did. But hey, Steelers are stoopid :goofy:

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I like Tuitt, Nix, and Niklas from this group for 46. I am a Montcrief fan, but I'm hoping we can snag him at 97.

Thanks for for this list, TTF. This site rocks. Most fun I've had during a draft in years.

7. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    just read the draft grades for round one.. guess who was the only team they graded out as a B... (the other 3 were A rated)..... it agreed closely with my grades .. i had the browns and bengals an A and the steelers and ravens a B although the ravens filled more of a need than we did IMHO

HINES

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    OK aand draft grades are nothing more then opinions and we all know what opinions are like. I think in 08 we got a B overall how'd that turn out?

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL. Grading after a draft is bad as it is. Have to wait at least a couple years to see how it really panned out.

But grading after 1 round??? That's a special kind of stupid.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was shocked they picked Shazier when Dennard was still on the board, I think they expected Fuller to be there. The reason I don't like the pick is they never draft a top tier CB, there's a guy who is a top 3 CB and they pass on him. At least they should've tried to trade down. They better get a CB in the 2nd you can't keep relying on these second tier CB's you need playmakers in the secondary.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  12. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
  13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Article on Steelers.com says Dallas had already written down Shazier as their pick, before we made it official. That's humorous...

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    simple questions to all the doubters and my top 10 reasons why we did good.

1. when we were the best defense in the league many times was it because of the top cb's we had or was it the LB'ers?

2. have you ever seen a LB that runs a 4.38 40 in Pittsburgh?

3. show me a team that has the best defense in the league because they have one first round cb.

4. hybrid players are the wave of the future in the NFL. safeties that can play like corners and LB'ers that can tackle like LB'ers and cover like safeties and are faster than most corners. sub 4.40 safeties and a sub 4.40 ILB. that's 2 sub 4.40 safeties and a 4.40 ILB. so where is this we haven't touched the secondary? BS. have you been sleeping or are you still stuck in the past mode of our base defense? times have changed guys. a corner is not the only guy that can cover receivers.

5. james farrier, larry foote and vince williams have been replaced by a very capable player. let's not forget Timmons will be heading into his 8th season. they don't last forever.

6. when you rebuild a steeler defense you start up front. we did cam heyward. when you think of the heart and soul of a rebuilt steeler defense you think best LB'ers. worilds,jones,Timmons,shazier, moats, Williams, garvin pretty good start.

7. would you rather have a part time Woodley or a part time old Harrison or stevie Sylvester or an old larry foote still here playing?

8. embrace him he's a steeler now.

9. we have eight more picks coming.

10. those were not the only guys that can play corner in this draft or in free agency and interceptions are not the only way to create turnovers.

:cool:

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was a little surprised by that too. I thought Dennard would be the pick for sure but I really like the Shazier pick. I think the primary reason the Steelers went with Shazier is SPEED. The guy is obviously a playmaker and is freakishly fast for his size. Dennard, quite frankly, is on the slowish side for a top tier CB. The Steelers want to get faster on defense and they took a big step last night and also with the signing of Mike Mitchell. And let's face it, the Steelers success on defense is built on its linebacking group and they set the tone for the entire defense, including the defensive backfield. It's alot easier for a corner to cover a guy when the quarterback is under duress all day long and we're stuffing the run making a team one dimensional. That's what the linebackers do for you. I think JJ, Shazier, Timmons and Worilds are pretty dang formidable linebacking corps!

16. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Funny thing is they like Shazier because of his speed, but when JJ ran slow last year, they said it didn't matter.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When they said it didn't matter for JJ, I'm sure they were referring to his 40 time because the tape showed plenty of the short area quickness needed to play the position. I feel the same way about Shazier. People are citing his sub 4.4 40. I think that's nice, but it's the burst that I (usually) see on his tape that makes me smile. I said "usually" because his Clemson tape is pretty bad IMO, but that's just one game, and Clemson clearly schemed for him by sending a pulling guard right in his face on every read option, and the Ohio State D line gave him zero protection.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they like shazier because of his production and that's why they liked jones. the speed is just an added bonus. they will also be playing different positions. jones is also bigger than shazier by 20+ lbs.. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sub 4.40 is a special kind of speed.

I find it funny the lengths that fans will go to bash this pick.

20. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think they also realised he just had a bad day at the combine and it helped him drop to us. Bit like Burfict, though a much greater drop for him.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    The raven fans I talk to sound pretty concerned about Mosley and one of their reasons is us passing on him.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't like the Shazier pick at first, maybe I will start to warm up to it. I thought CB was the more pressing need.

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Shazier pick is definitely growing on me. I did think it was funny that NFL tv was talking about him being an OLB, but I'm pretty sure the clips all showed him lining up at ILB.

I'd much rather have an "undersized" speedy LB to help with the new breed of TE's than an oversized Woodley. I believe Farrior always played around Shazier's weight too. We have a lot of needs on defense, and I think the FO picked the BPA regardless of need with the expectation that other people will have to pick up their game.

I like the Shazier pick.

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    he was a 4-3 olb which normally translates to a ilb in the 3-4

25. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Are you talking about the 70s or 90s or last decade? LOL

In any case, a good defense will have both. The best Steelers defenses I saw were '74-'76 and then '92-'94. In both cases, they had stud linebackers and one stud CB.