1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

THe Official 2014 Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 8, 2014.

1. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Draft choices rarely make an immediate impact, so much of the WE NEED NOW argument isn't going to pan out much for this year anyway.
    I'll play along though. The last time I checked, we pulled a Pro Bowl safety to basically play some linebacker because we were so weak in that area.
    I think that makes picking up a player to fill that need a bit more pressing than drafting a CB that doesn't seem to fit our scheme very well (Dennard).
    I can't really say that our CB play has been extraordinary over the past decade plus. They have had their ups and downs. Some pressure and some pass covering LBs will definitely help out significantly.
    Lest ye worry...we will pick up at least one decent CB. The draft is fairly deep in them and WR. Nobody can say the same for LB though.

Buck up little camper...I think the front office knows a little more than we do about the prospects and how they will hopefully fit in to our schemes!

2. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    No that comment was moreso me letting out steam. Just sick of us passing on secondary talent year after year and then years later seeing those players making all kinds of plays for another team while we have another boring linebacker that cannot realize their full potential because QBs are able to throw the ball instantly after snapping it all game long.

3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    MAYBE Roby. he'll slide a bit.

i honestly don't even know why i post here. if you aren't in love with LBs, you don't belong, you're a "jag-off", you're pathetic, etc. there are more holes to fill. despite what you people want to think, Shazier isn't making this team a Super Bowl contender. i don't think he's a bad player in the slightest. i just think the Steelers had a bigger hole to fill than ILB.[/QUOTE]

Then do us all a favor and don't post here.

5. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    and you could have the best LBs in the world, but if the opposing QB just dumps the ball off within half a second of the snap, you're still giving up yards.

there's a balance, and as much as i'm complaining, i don't hate the pick with every fiber of my being. he should be a decent player. they just have more depth at LB than CB. they COULD USE help in the LB position. they NEED help in the CB position. that's the difference.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What the hell are you talking about? Seriously.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    good night guys (here is 6 am) , i will sleep on shazier ( i like the pick ) and tomorrow i will scroll down every cb left , i would find a couple of gems by tomorrow afternoon

:steelflag:

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I get that but with the zone defense you really don't need top flight corners you need pressur. We hhaven't had a true top flight corner since Woodson yeah Ike could remove any WR from the field but he can't catch. Pressure fixing a lot of things.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So the top 3 QB's made it into the first round. Bortles, Johnny and Bridgewater. Did anyone else go?

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's how I felt about our OL for a long time, and then they started throwing 1st and 2nd round picks at the OL with ferocity. The CB's will get their due, maybe even this draft. Would not be shocked at all if we select three of them in the remaining rounds, because Lord knows we need them.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    How in the world is Marquis Lee still on the board? For real? He won't make it to us, but I can dream right? Haha we've got a lot of good WR's and a few pretty darn good CB's to pick from in round two tho. Hard to imagine we'd go a different route than CB or WR after going ILB in round 1.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I said I was done with that jag off

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Um, if you have the best LBs in the world the QB doen't have time to dump the ball off, that the whole idea of the position.

Linebacker is proactive, DB is reactive. Plug it up before it happens.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No sir, just those 3. Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Tom Savage all in play tomorrow.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We are going to get a really good player at #46. So many guys will be available. There are still a bunch of WRs available that will provide good value at #46. There are some 2 gap D linemen still available (Tuitt, Nix, Hageman), who I didn't like at #15, but really like at #46. OLB has some options (Attaochu, Lawrence, Murphy). Kuoandijo is still out there. I know some are clamoring for a corner at all costs, but I think there's a gap between the 1st round guys who are gone, and the next wave. I see a crap load of guys who can be 2015 starters available in the 3rd and 4th, and I don't think there's much of a gap (if any) between many of those guys and the guys who will sneak into the 2nd round. I feel comfortable that we won't reach for a corner jus because its a position of need.

I don't know whether we had any opportunity at all to trade down, so I can't say that we "should have" done that. When our pick came up, my preference was to move down, but if we had to make a pick I had Shazier as my 3rd remaining guy (tied with Cooks and Mosely) behind Lee and Attaochu. So, I'm pretty good with the pick. We are getting a LOT faster on defense, and that's a good thing in the pass-heavy NFL. Shazier's production in 2013 was exceptional. 144 tackles; 23.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles.

Bedtime. Out. Good night.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know but good that he wasn't taken, will push the other guys down like Matthews and Robinson.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha, thanks. Lot of guys left to help push players we need to us :thumbs_up:

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Might have a shot at Tuitt at 46. I'd be happy with that. Who else is good value tomorrow? Desir? Montcrief?

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It's not really surprising to me. I saw him as a fringe late 1st/early 2nd. Same with Benjamin. If he's somehow there when the Steelers pick, I think it'll be really hard to pass on him depending who's there.

20. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Nic and tuitt are there, who do you want?

21. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Do you think us picking a ILB in the 1st had something to do with saving some money vs. drafting a CB? Or does the 15th pick get 15th pick money, no matter the position. .

Anyway, I would think a ILB is cheaper than a CB, and that could of been a small factor.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    They're contracts aren't based on position.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The board allows us to make polls...

24. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    hard to believe we didnt draft one in the first round... but we didnt .. the bengals got our pick 9 positions after us .. jsut pi## poor

HINES

25. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    is this post for real? the answer is NO it had nothing ot do with money and everything to do with stupidity...

HINES