1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Pittsburgh Hotels

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 30, 2014.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    So I'm planning a trip in December for the final game of the year.

...I've come in before and stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and took the "T" to the stadium. I really like being able to not worry about the chaos downtown, and having a ride. The only problem is that the ride was about 45 minutes each way.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any hotels on the route that are closer? Or other suggestions for public transportation. Thanks!

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I have stayed at the Best Western which is now a Hampton Inn. Really loved staying there because they had a free shuttle around the city. They not only took us to a game but took us to where we ate dinner as well. They also have free drinks at certain times in the evening for a couple of hours. It's always filled with Steeler fans and everyone is great. Its about 2 miles from the Stadium on 875 Green Tree Rd. I am coming as well again this year in September and looking for lodging but since its changed hands it is now $150 a night.. Too expensive for me since I am staying a few nights.

Bman

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know much about pittsburgh hotels, but I just booked the hamptonn inn in downtown pittsburgh for the saints game. It was only $150/night which seemed like a good deal, walking distance to heinz field too.

4. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If you don't mind splurging, I highly recommend the Fairmont. Superb location. And an absolute awesome walk across the bridge and along the river to the stadium. So much fun. It was for my 40th bday, so didn't mind blowing the budget. Well worth it.

5. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The Sheraton across the river in Station Square is a nice hotel. There are some pretty good Steeler shops, bars, restaurants, etc in the building beside the sheraton...I think its an old train depot. The gateway clipper (shuttle boat from station square to the stadium) is right beside the hotel. The clipper ride from the hotel to the stadium and back is a very enjoyable ride...there is even a bar in the clipper if you want to grab a beer for the ride. $5 each way per person...under 6 is free. I think it takes 15-20 minutes to get from station square to the stadium if I rememeber correctly. Very cool experience because the boat is packed with Steeler fans on game days. The boat drops you off right at the gate to the stadium. Be aware you will have to pay for parking at station square as well...not sure what the rates are for anybody that wants to park. I was staying at the hotel and it was the standard $15 - $20 parking daily rate as a guest of the hotel if I remember correctly.

Don't plan on tailgating on the station square side before your boat ride over. I learned that the hard way a few years ago. No grills, fires, alcohol, etc in the parking lots on Station Square side unless they have recently changed the rules. They even had a couple security guys roaming the parking lots. One was cool and said "I know you are going to drink..just do me a favor and put your beer in the trunk and close the trunk lid halfway when you see me coming"...we did out of respect for him, but what a pain. The other security guys made us pour our beer out if they saw it. Not a fun time at all. After that year, we started parking in station square then road the clipper over to the stadium side to tailgate over there....much better atmosphere over there anyway. Hope this helps.

Just FYI...the clipper also runs for Pirate games.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow.. Did you read my reply? Going to the same game and have stayed where your staying a couple of years ago. Great hotel but $150 I found was a bit high for me.

Bman

7. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Last time I went the wife and I stayed at the Wyndham. Very nice. Walk out the front doors and across the river to the stadium. 10 min max. They also had a shuttle that would take you around the city also. Had no complaints. When we are able to make it back, thats for sure were we will stay again.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

320 $ x night

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    The Hampton Inn where I am staying is downtown on Smallman st. I think you are referring to the one that's a little more out of town on Green Tree Rd towards the airport? (EDIT: According to Google, this is actually a Holiday Inn Express now).

As for $150/night, unfortunately, for me that is actually pretty cheap. I live in a city of 100,000 where nothing is going on, and a hotel room downtown is $150. I have paid much worse in downtown Boston & Montreal. For $150 to stay in downtown Pittsburgh on the weekend of a game, I'll take it!

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Your correct. Sorry. It was the one on Green Tree Rd. Great place to stay and when it was Best Western it was something like $80.00 a night. Looking for something around $110.00 since we are going down for about a week.. You keep me posted where you seated so we can meet. I have a friend that I met going to the games that I meet up with and tailgate. Should be a great time. Usually I like to go when its a afc north division game but this year the dates did not work out for me. Oh well .. Will be a good game regardless. Do you have tickets yet?

Bman

11. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I came to town a few years ago, and I stayed at a place downtown. I forget the name, but it was within eyesight of PNC Park, and Heinz Field. It was about 400 a night and I saw it while watching the movie She's outta my League. The Millennium?

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    William Penn, Millenium can't go wrong.

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    WHY that memory has stuck with you, I'll never understand :lolol:

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll definitely keep you updated. Already got the hotel and flights booked. You're probably just driving down I assume? Now just gotta wait on tickets. I'll definitely be looking for some people to tailgate with since we won't have a car. Keep in mind, I will be travelling with a Saints fan:kapow: :lolol:. I thought Pats fans were going to throw him out and over the side of the upper balcony last year.

15. spleeny09

Oct 27, 2011
    OP didn't mention price as being an obstacle so I never thought twice about cost. Plus I stayed at govt per diem...so honestly didn't know it was $320 per night. I agree though...that is awful expensive.

16. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wow, I must just be going at the wrong time. That hotel's $240 per night in December.

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I've noticed massive price spikes of Pittsburgh hotels as time goes on. It was a major obstacle last year. I know I was looking at the Hilton Doubletree aswell for the same weekend this year, and it went from $150 to $290 in a matter of days. Once it starts filling up, hotels jack up the price. Supply and Demand I guess.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers games are offical govt. business, right? ;)

19. spleeny09

Oct 27, 2011

Ha...I had official govt business...but that business was certainly planned around the Steelers schedule :thumbs_up:

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Looks like OP already booked, but I always enjoy the Westin downtown. It's a bit of a longer walk, but you get exercise while letting the traffic die down.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup def driving down. It's only about a 10 hour drive. Always have driven down to the Burgh. They guys will be ok with a Saints fan. He is very brave lol. .. Should be a riot though hahaha.

As it gets closer we can check in with one another ..

Bman