1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Zumwalt, Shazier, and Bucannon In For Visits Today

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 10, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    LB Jordan Zumwalt UCLA, LB Ryan Shazier OSU, S Deone Bucannon Washington State in for pre-draft visits today.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    If I was a betting man, I'd wager Shazier is the Steelers first pick this year. At least, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Would love Shazier. I think Mosley is a more solid LB, but Shazier certainly has a much higher ceiling. A real playmaker in waiting. Don't care that he is "too small" to play inside in a 3-4. Shazier is the kind of guy that could succeed at any LB spot in any scheme.

I just think we are going to force the issue and take a CB in Round 1.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've been leaning towards him as my prediction too, especially if we wind up trading down. He really seems like our type.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like shazier and his athletic ability can't be overlooked, but parts of his game trouble me and I could see that intensified in the pro's. bad angles and getting caught out of position a lot. I hope he's not the first pick.:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    PS: bucannon, if he slipped to the 3rd comp pick seems like a steeler kind of guy. he's a hitting machine and makes a lot of picks as a safety. would love to have him, but just not sure where we would or could nab him. I think he could play that LB/S role very well that troy did last year.:cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well. .. looks like I need to watch some more Shazier tape. I haven't watched quite enough to know whether I like him at 15. However, I would only go ILB at 15 for a high impact prospect with very few holes.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that's where the dilemma is.

CJ Mosley has few holes, but I don't think he is going to be an impact type of player. On the other hand, Shazier definitely has some holes but I predict he is going to be a high impact playmaker. I like both of them, and if I had my heart set on going LB, that would be a tough choice.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    TTF, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the second time Shazier has been in? I thought he was here a couple of weeks ago?

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Was trying to find that interview. Just wondering if the "had" was actually "have" and it was mis-quoted.

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I remember listening to it, and he said he had a visit with them already. It's curious. I'll try to dig around and see if I can find the audio when I get a little bit of time later.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The only position on defense they should be targeting in the 1st is CB IMO. It's a lot easier to find a solid ILB than it is to find a good CB. If you draft a ILB in the 1st LeBeau will have him on the bench for 2 years and he will be playing special teams. The only reason Vince Williams got onto the field is injuries. Bucannon is my favorite safety in the draft a big physical hitter, a poor man's Kam Chancellor type of player if he was there in the 3rd I would draft him.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that wasn't shazier suplexing the guy in that Gif. ??? I just don't see #15 for him. I watch every osu game every week. speed he has, but he's got some improving to do for the pros. I'm not sure he was the best LB in the big 10 last year, let alone in the country or #15 in the draft.:cool:

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's a little boom/bust for my taste, and he might be the type that could take awhile before being a three down player, so for those reasons #15 is a little high for me too. Although you could say that exact sentence about Timmons, and that worked out great. The thing that has me thinking he might wind up a Steeler is that if things hold like they are now, there's a good chance he's there at the end of the first, so if we trade down he could be a safety net if our #1 target doesn't fall to us.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes it was. Why do you say that?

I'm not banging the table yelling for the Steelers to use the number 15 pick on him, I just think there's a good chance they will.

19. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Absolutely! If they take him he will be an ILB. Love his speed and athleticism. Would love it more if they could trade down 6 spots and get an extra 3rd

20. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    don't know a whole lot about shazier. I do about mosley and I would love to see him in black and gold but honestly I don't see a ton of difference between the guys projected in mid to late 1st than mid round guys. I would rather pick up a top cb or maybe go dline and get a jones or barrow in mid rounds. even bullough from mich st

21. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I posted about drafting this guy not long ago. I keep saying he could be the next Farrior this D needs one bad! I like Dennard too. Lots of things could happen on draft night, so its hard to say, but we need a DB ILB and a WR , so however the FO makes that happen? There are a ton of WRs and I feel like we could get a good one in round 2. DBs, you have Gilbert and Dennard, and everyone else. I like the Fuller kid, but I don't see him lasting past the first few picks in round 2. However, ILB are thin, so they could lean that way? Shazier is an OLB for now, but with his skills I see him changing with some coaching. Decisions decisions ......

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that was #10, shazier is #2 and comes into the picture late and ends up next to #51.

I know TTF and i wasn't calling you out on wanting him or anything. I wouldn't do that to you. he's a good player like I said and the speed and athleticism is there, but he's by no means a finished product yet. I just hope we don't take him at 15. I wouldn't mind seeing him drop like a lot of the inside backers do come draft time. I also don't really want back to back #1 LB'ers in the drafts. if we would though, you know who my pick would be and I'm a huge osu and Miami fan.:eek: I know, head scratcher. long story, but I have been a buckeye fan for 54 years. you'd think I'd like him more. red & grey game tomorrow by the way.

on a side note. already talking to my son tonight about his pre med girlfriend getting mich. tics for this year. he gets to go to all of them. I said hey, how about throwing dad a bone? LOL yet to be seen how that ends up. :rolleyes: I'm getting to old for ichigan week anyway. < they cross out all M's on every sign on campus that week. LOL:lolol:

to me there are so many options this year and every guy at the top has something they need to work on in their game. finding which one will be all over the place. just depends on how teams value guys for their schemes, because there could be 3 different guys that fit. LOL know what I mean?

oh, now I may consider his buddy that plays CB for ohio state at 15. :cool:

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Im on my mobile, but Shazier switched numbers. That game is before he switched. Ichigan week...that's hilarious. Colbert likes his buckeyes, too. Roby is in play at 15 I'm sure. :smiley1:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sorry.:facepalm: as a 54 year fan, I am really dumb and never gave that a thought. LOL at me. forgive me TTF. i'll be looking for the MIB squad.:club::cool:

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    #10 in that gif is most definitely Shazier. The #2 you are confusing him for is Christian Bryant... Ryan Shazier played all of his freshman and sophomore years wearing #10, as well as the beginning of his junior year. He only changed his number to #2 mid way through last season to support injured safety Christian Bryant who missed most of his senior campaign due to injury.

I love my Buckeyes (and sometimes it is hard to look at them objectively), but man I'd love to see Shazier in a Steeler uniform. He is fast, can cover, hits hard... basically everything you want in an NFL ILB. I like Roby too, but he has had way more bad tape than Shazier. I'd prefer #10.