1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiper's "Grade A" Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 3, 2014.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    ESPN Insider has an article today, where Kiper picked the first 3 rounds for each team, giving picks that he would give an A grade.

I can only see Houston's curious if anyone's a member can share the Steelers picks and his comments.

2. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I don't have ESPN insider but this site had the steelers picks

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/0...picks-steelers-latest-three-round-mock-draft/

Has us taking Odell Beckham Jr at 15
    Luis Nix III at 46
    And Antone Exum (CB Va. Tech) with our 3rd rnd comp.

Only a fan of getting Nix in the 2nd. (doubt he would make it that far)

Beckham has talent but he's not big and I've read that he is still very raw (similar to Stephen Hill when he came out)

As for Exum, he has some injury issues. Not what I would want out of a 3rd rnd pick unless he was an all world talent

3. zeus50

zeus50 New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs: CB, WR, DL, OL

Round 1 (15) WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
    Round 2 (46) DT Louis Nix III, Notre Dame
    Round 3 (97) CB/S Antone Exum, Virginia Tech (Comp)

Analysis: Sorry, but the addition of Darrius Heyward-Bey doesn't fix the depth chart at wide receiver, so I grab Beckham here. With Gilbert and Dennard off the board, I can't take a corner in a reasonable value range at No. 15. Beckham is an explosive talent, a pass-catcher who creates problems for defenses after the catch because he's such a special accelerator. I add needed talent on the interior of the defensive line in Round 2. Dick LeBeau can do some things with Nix, who doesn't always play to the level he should given his ability to move at that size, but has a chance to be good. Jimmie Ward is a tough guy to pass on at No. 46, given a depth need at safety, but in getting Exum in Round 3 I add a corner with the size to transition to safety if that's a better fit.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    that's why kiper sucks.lol I like beckham but I think we can get him in the second and if not get his clone in moncrief. no way nix makes it to the second right? exum? really I thought he was more 5th round

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Nix very well could be there in the 2nd round. Last year people were talking a lot about Jonathan Hankins of OSU. Some said he wouldn't make it to the Steelers pick in round 1, he ended up going in round 2. Players that fit 1 scheme and play 2 downs will drop.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Seeing a lot of consensus on Nix to the Chargers in Round 1. Makes sense.

7. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    those mght be the worst 3 picks we (or any team could make) ...but then considering its from mel i wouldnt expect anything better..

HINES

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Chargers front office wasn't touching him with a 10' pole...we took another place of need with Verrett (mock draft)

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think there may be two surprise options in the second round, Louis Nix and Kelvin Benjamin. If both of them are there, who do you take?

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    van noy.:smiley1::cool:

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First, I don't think Benjamin will make it out of the first round.

Second, it wouldn't surprise me if these were our first 2 picks...Benjamin 1, and Nix 2. Pick up a couple of corners in 3 and 4. Potential OLB, DE, ILB, and RB in the next 4 and I'm pretty happy.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would love ix in the second and iI think he will be there.

13. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think it's too far off base.

I think both Beckham and Lee are WR's that look exactly like what Colbert loves in receivers. Smaller, quick guys with solid hands and good body control. Both guys on film remind me of Santonio Holmes and while Lee is probably a bit more pro ready, Beckham might have the higher upside.

If we can get Nix is round 2, that's a steal. That would be an amazing pick for us.

Obviously, if the draft did present no value at CB in the first or 2nd round, then we do probably force that position with whoever at the end of the 3rd round. I could see Exum being a target.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Benjamin won't last until the 2nd some team will get him at the bottom of the 1st.