1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Mettenberger?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 21, 2014.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    ooooh an unnamed source

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I believe this is the article:

There’s about as much chance of the Steelers selecting a place kicker as quarterback with the 15th pick in the May draft. But, while Ben Roethlisberger is firmly entrenched as the starter for at least the next two seasons and possibly longer, that doesn’t mean the Steelers might not take a quarterback later in the draft.

They could, in fact, select one with a first-round pedigree. LSU’s Zach Mettenberger was expected to go in the first round until he suffered a torn left ACL in early December.

Mettenberger has made remarkable progress in his recovery and is expected to throw at LSU’s pro day at the school’s indoor facility in Baton Rouge on April 9. The Steelers, who will almost certainly attend, have shown great interest in Mettenberger’s rehab, a source told The Times.

Mettenberger’s combination of size (6-feet-5, 230 pounds) and exceptional arm strength should still make him a commodity in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft. Mettenberger threw for 3,082 yards and 22 TDs (eight interceptions), while competing 65 percent of his passes last season as a fifth-year senior. The knee injury, which kept Mettenberger out of the Tigers’ Outback Bowl victory over Iowa on New Year’s Day, will also prevent him from running the 40-yard dash, his agent, Sam Katz, told reporters.

Roethlisberger, who is almost certain to receive a contract extension at some point, took every snap in 2013 for the first time in his 10-year career.

Backups Bruce Gradkowski has two years remaining on a $4.95 million contract he signed last year, and Landry Jones enters the second year of a four-year, $2.599 million contract. Jones, who the Steelers used a fourth-round pick on in 2013, completed 30 of 66 passes (45.5 percent) while throwing three interceptions and two touchdowns last preseason.

Maybe in the 7th...

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That guy gets around!

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we should trade a 2015 3rd rounder to make sure we get Mettenberger. I mean, it worked once, right?

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Had we not thrown away a pick on Landry Jones, I could see a late round QB pickup. But, since we did, No QB needed this draft.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agreed. Normally I'm all for drafting a QB since it's the position of greatest importance. However, since we aren't in a good position cap-wise, we can't afford to play musical chairs with our backup QB's, which is unfortunate because I think Mettenberger could be something in this league, at least more than Jones.

We need to fix our cap situation. :facepalm:

8. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Possible in the 4th or 5th rounds. I mean, we need three QBs. Cut Gradkowski and have Landy/Mettenberger as backups. Hopefully one of them can develop into a starter in 4-5 years.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Agreed....No need to take a QB this year (Unless Bortles is available.) Which he will not be. Called that months ago. We are stuck with "Dirty" Landry as our 3 .:frustrated::frustrated: Why doesnt anyone listen to me?

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I would not want to go into any season without a true vet backup QB. Especially with Ben's history. While I do not consider Jones a waste/etc yet...I don't know if he's ready to be the #2 just yet.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This.

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Ya think??? Keep Grad. Send "Dirty" Landry to practice squad (He will clear.) Than this waste of a draft pick will be on practice squad. Can call him up IF needed.

13. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    well as you said we wasted a pick on landry jones... to me he is worthless.. so doesnt that mean we need to get another QB to groom as bens replacement some day ... but i hope that can wait a couple more years.. by that time hopefully jones has moved on,,,, but on the other hand then we really did waste that pick..

HINES

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we ought to withhold judgment on Landry Jones until at least after this season. Let's see what kind of strides he makes this year.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Respect your opinion on this Jack but I did question the pick of "Dirty" on draft day. Dont see him helping us. Wasted pick!!!

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would take jones over mettenberger. to me he is and has always been overrated