1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 NFL Combine Open Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I was particularly impressed with the times from Matthews and Moncrief. I had no idea Moncrief was a 4.4 flat guy. I always assumed he was right around 4.5.... He ran faster than Watkins at 6'2'' 220! Matthews at 4.46 is looking really good too. I think both really helped their cause today. Matthews could sneak into being a first round selection, and Moncrief might've helped himself into the second round. I'd be ecstatic if we landed one of these guys.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you wouldn't draft Sammy Watkins in the 1st?

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they will draft 2 receivers too many needs on defense.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    well yeah but we have no shot at him. I wouldn't draft evans

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's a list of who the team has/or is scheduled to interview. You can check the homepage for further details.

ND DE Stephon Tuitt
    Oregon State DE Scott Crichton
    USC SS Dion Bailey
    Alabama FS Ha-Ha Clinton Dix
    Missouri CB E.J. Gaines
    Baylor Safety Ahmad Dixon
    ND NT Louis Nix
    Louisville Safety Calvin Pryor
    Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert
    Florida State FS Terrence Brooks
    Minnesota Defensive Lineman Ra’Shede Hageman
    Penn State WR Allen Robinson
    UCLA linebacker Jordan Zumwalt
    North Carolina TE Eric Ebron
    North Carolina DE Kareem Martin
    Oklahoma FB/TE Trey Millard
    AZ RB Ka’Deem Carey
    Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin
    Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief
    Penn State NT Daquan Jones

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People just won't give him a CHANCE. This
    year he will have to make the best of his chances
    though.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's kind of crazy to think, but maybe he does become an option. He has the size, the speed and the production. Other than maybe Lee, Matthews may be the most polished route runner amongst the Top 10 receivers.

I always thought 2nd round too, but where's the knock on the guy? Why not be an option at #15? I thought he had an outside chance of being a late 1st or early 2nd before he showed off his speed. I'd be surprised if he didn't go in the 1st round now.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't he run 4.52 at the combine? Maybe that 4.4 was from his pro day, but those numbers always seem to be much lower, I usually throw them out. I like the combine 40 because its like running in a vacuum, all players have to run under the same conditions.

I personally would like to see Moye get bigger and play with a little more intensity. There's something there to work with, but let's be honest, he is still a project at this point. Now i think he's already showed more promise than J. Brown, but Moye still has some work to do.

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    does anyone know the difference between a 4.4 and 4.5? its like a 2 feet I think. I have never really put much stock in 40 times. when I was in middle school we use to get to go to Tennessee spring practice. I saw willie gualt who was one of the fastest dudes on the planet at the time get run down by a db. I remember coach majors saying to his players then. boys that's the difference between track speed and football speed. pads! over the years if you look at the best wr they aint burners.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Not sure of the actual differences, but I know when NFL Network does the simul-cam, the difference between say a 4.5 and a 4.56 looks significant, maybe a yard or so.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    So where do we ultimately think Clowney ends up? I'm thinking Jacksonville. I'm not sold on them taking a QB. Clowney would probably like to play for Atlanta, but I would have to think they are definitely taking an OT.

I would mosts definitely prefer that Clowney does not end up in Cleveland.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I can't see any way he makes it out of the top 3. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone traded up to get him.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Dee Ford flagged for Herniated Disk. He didn't clear from a back procedure he had in 2011.

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Aaron Donald tore it up with unofficial times of 4.65 & 4.66 in the 40.

18. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Donald should be a steeler.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    "There's something in the steroids." -Warren Sapp

:roflmao:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he ran a 4.46 at the combine. how much more intense can he play? he caught that pass last year getting sandwiched by two raven defenders flipped backwards on to his head and held onto the ball. caught his first pass , the fade into the EZ for a TD. in preseason ran down a guy clear down the field to save a TD. he also did that at PSU against bama on an interception and made a strip tackle and PSU got the ball back at the two saving a TD and getting the ball back for the offense. he led us in preseason out of all wr's. the kid hustles his azz off. he has gotten a little bigger too. he goes 209 anyway not exactly tiny, before adding some muscle in our weight room last year.

he's also in cali working with ben and at a workout training facility trying to get better and has a year in this offense. yea lets throw away a good player because he's not worthy like these unproven college players at the combine that are blown up bigger than life. now let's be honest steel. they are all a work in progress.

I have a hard time not being excited about his hustle and intensity and drive to get better. he's not exactly lame ass sweed. I'm glad he's here. while he's here let's use him and find out what we have. I don't have a problem picking a guy this year but there are not to many megatron's in the world and even at that, he's got issues too. I don't see any of them coming in and taking the NFL by storm. Wheaton's never even gotten a real shot at the position, but a new guy is already better that these two. I'm not buying that until I see them on an NFL field against NFL players. I've yet to see moye hurt us in any way yet.

Justin brown is a completely different type of player than moye is. he's a possession guy and that's what he will remain. he could serve a purpose though.:cool:

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Jerry O. spotting. Running drills on the field.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt has a stress fracture in his left foot. He will hold personal workouts before the draft. Will not participate in combine events.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't want to throw Moye away, but he is a project. I think you are making a bit much out of a guy with 2 career catches. Yes he has the H-W-S but there's a reason he didn't see more action last year? I don't know what it is, but I am sure our coaching staff does. I hope he continues to improve, but what I am saying is that the deck is stacked against him. Of course there are great UDFA players out there, but let's not pretend like it happens all the time. It is certainly the exception, not the rule.

If we see AB as the #1 and Markus Wheaton destined for the slot this year, we really still need a #2 and a #4 WR this year. I'll go ahead and assume we re-sign Cotchery to be the #4. Yes Cotchery put up great numbers last year, but he is another year older and last year was definitely well above his career average. So where will Moye end up this year? More than likely at the #5 spot. He has to prove on the practice field that he belongs in the NFL on a regular basis. Once he accomplishes that, he has to produce on Sundays.

Unfortunately, I have too much knowledge of statistics and probability to have your faith that Moye is going to make an impact at the NFL level. The chances of that happening are probably less than 5%. The chances that Mike Evans is going to make an impact at the NFL level is probably 75% or higher. Moye is a lotto ticket. It would be nice if he is a winning one. As I look at our roster right now, I see a big hole in our WR depth.

Not that I am a member of the Limas Sweed fan club, but I wouldn't question his intensity. He laid a pair of devastating blocks. His problem was he just could not catch the ball. I'm just saying there is a reason Moye did not see the field more last season. You and I don't know what that is. I just don't personally think we can hinge our WR depth on the notion that Moye can be a success.