1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Defense Defense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm right there with ya, Mac, minus playing in college. Aren't you familiar with the phrase, "Battles are won in the outside voids"? :roflmao:

Someone argued that Kemo was good? Youch. To be fair to Starks, he was here 9 years. Much longer and he'd be using a wheeled walker to kick slide.

Go Sloberknockers!

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    oh yea they argued he was such a good run blocker.

as for max, he should have been replaced years before he got 9 in. and all the money we threw at him, bad FO work as far as our line goes for years. most guys 9 years in are playing pretty well usually if a team has held on to them at the money spot. I couldn't say that about max. barely serviceable by NFL standards and winning team standards.

let's face it our qb has taken a beating in his career to this point. if your going to have a franchise qb, he's not here to manage the game and hand off, so his linemen have to be good at pass protection. he has never had that here. I'm not sure we know yet what ben is capable of in the passing game until we do. I'd love to have 5 guys that can pass protect at a high level and then see munch coach them up in the run game. not the other way around.:cool:

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Jason Capizzi......:lolol:
    Just joshin' with ya mac ;) .. You've been pretty darn accurate when it comes to OL play.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    chuck Norris like? LOL:lolol::cool:

5. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I agree that there aren't a lot of good linebackers in the draft. Walter Football has 11 OTs going in the first 3 rounds so I think it is actually a good draft for the Steelers needs on OL.

Willie Colon was an excellent player he just couldn't stay healthy. According to PFF, from 2008-10 he allowed fewer pressures per snap than any tackle in the league and Colon is a tremendous run blocker. If Colon had stayed healthy he would definitely still be a Steeler... but if the Jets hadn't picked him up and Colon left the NFL by your logic he couldn't still play. ;)

I have a real problem with people rating players based on their perceived talent level as measured by the opinions of scouts and GMs. Richard Seymour and Randy Moss didn't play last year... does that mean they weren't good enough to play? Bottom line is GMs make terrible decisions on a regular basis and usually out of an arrogance associated with a player's measurables or draft selection. If Marcus Gilbert was a 6th round pick he would have been cut a long time ago but because a 2nd round pick was invested in him he is still on the team. This kind of thing happens all the time. James Harrison was DPOY but couldn't make the Steeers or Ravens initially and he was an UDFA.

Max Starks was a decent LT and certainly better than Gilbert or Adams has played up to this point. Starks was especially good against Suggs who he kept off the scoresheet more than once. Starks had an injury history as well. Starks definitely needed to be replaced but the Steelers jumped the gun. It is what it is. I agree franchising him was a bad joke.

I do agree also that Steelers should take a LT if one falls. I think Greg Robinson is overrated (another athlete who has upside but is too raw). I personally like Taylor Lewan since Matthews won't be there at 15. I would like to hear your opinion on the LT prospects please.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Either Matthews or Robinson is a top #10 pick as far as I'm concerned. I'd be very surprised if the Steelers took Lewan in round one if he was there. I'm not kidding.

Quoting myself is weird, but here's my take on the two from a different thread.

7. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Robinson isn't a smart player. He struggles in picking up blitzes. He also doesn't block in a team concept- he will drive a defender into rather than away from running lanes etc.

Matthews is less athletic but is vastly superior from a technical standpoint. Matthews is probably the safest pick in the draft.

Both those guys are projected to be gone by 15.

Steelers need to stop drafting OL that are "maulers in the run game." Not much sense on a team that throws better than 60% of the time. Hasn't helped anyways. Steelers running game has struggled despite all these "maulers" and arguably the best blocking TE in the NFL. Steelers attitude has entirely changed during the Tomlin era.

Lewan could be a very good LT in the NFL- quick feet and a big frame to add muscle to. Likely would have been a top 10 pick last year. Lewan didn't allow a sack in 2013.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree that Matthews is the safest pick. I don't agree about Robinson "not blocking in a team concept". At least, if I'm understanding what you're saying, I don't recall evidence of that in the games I watched. Are you saying you'd pass on Robinson if he fell to #15?

I don't necessarily disagree with Lewan potentially being a good LT in the NFL, but there is no way he'd get away with 1/8 of the holds he did last year. Aside from that, I like his strength, and he's technically very sound for the most part, but he's inconsistent. Go watch the Nebraska game to see how lost he can look at times.

Regardless, I think his character flags will cause the Steelers to pass. Just my opinion of course.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    wait..... did you just say willie colon was an excellent player? send me some of what you are smoking please

10. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Willie Colon was rated the third best offensive tackle in 2009 by ProFootballFocus. I am not saying that website is an absolute authority... but are you saying Colon is a bad player?

Colon missed all of 2010 and only played 1 game in 2011.

In 2012 he played out of position at LG.

Do you expect perfection out of Colon in his first season at LG after a career at RT? Colon was still the best run blocker on the team.

"Colon was hurt all the time. Colon got cut. Colon bad."

Colon got cut from a 5 year 29 million dollar deal with the Steelers... you don't pay bad players 6 million per year.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wanna upgrade the linebackers? Cut Marshmallow and sign Worilds. The 1st round pick will be starting. Corner or Safety. A big target? Need to see what Moye brings. Heath is far from done. The middle backer concerns me. Timmons goes down they are in trouble. Foote coming off an injury, Spence, who knows. Williams played well but the inside needs depth.

12. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Yeah Lewan does hold amazingly well haha. I noticed that too- grabs a handful of jersey while keeping his hands between the numbers on any play he can. Maybe the Seahawks will draft him to play in their secondary?

I think I would pass on Robinson, yeah. Guess it depends on what is available. In a hypothetical world, if Munch said he was worth the pick I would not be in position to argue ;).

13. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Cutting Marshmallow still costs 13 millin against the cap. Best... agent... ever.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We better get some db's that can play
    quickly, or we are in BIG TROUBLE!

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think robinson and cyrus have the most upside for munch to work with. I think Matthews is out of reach. the footwork and quickness of robinson and cyrus along with their builds , age and size, would give MM a lot to work with. I think they are just some fine tuning away from being really good players. smarts wise I'm not sure on either of these guys though.:cool: