1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My first mock of the year

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I expect to add more once we know the comp picks.

1. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    I see there being bigger needs on the defense, but think that Benjamin is just too good to pass up. I could definitely see myself needing to change this pick closer to the draft if his stock shoots up. Benjamin is a one year wonder, which is why he’s not being talked about as a top 10 pick (yet).

Benjamin needs to work on things like his route running and not using his body to catch the ball as much, but from a physical standpoint he’s impressive. Benjamin has the tools to be an A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, type of impact receiver. Hey may take a little longer to figure things out than Mike Evans or Marqise Lee would, but he should be an immediate weapon in the red-zone.

2. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    If you’ve read up on the senior bowl at all you’re aware of the rise of Jean-Baptiste. He’s similar to Benjamin in that he’s a late bloomer, and his physical traits are starting to translate to production on the field. It’s a copycat league, and SJB looks like he could fit right in with Seattle’s Legion of Boom.

SJB is fluid in his backpedal and what I like about him is he’s shown he can play off the line of scrimmage (but he also has a good jam when playing in tight), which the Steelers do a lot of. His straight line speed is a question mark, and his 40 time will really determine how high he climbs during the draft process. Some have said he could also be a FS in the NFL. Personally I’m not sure he’s a a good enough tackler for that, but if so, that’s not a bad thing considering it’s also a position of need.

4. Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford
    Gardner is a guy that’s dropping because injury issues, but prior to a torn pectoral muscle Gardner looked like a second round pick to me. As a Cincinnati alum, I was a big fan of Derek Wolfe a couple years ago, and Gardner reminds me of him.

Gardner was used all over the line at Stanford, and could probably fit in a lot of different schemes, but looks like a 3-4 DE for the Steelers. He’s very well rounded could set the edge, as well as provide some pass rush for the Steelers. Gardner’s also a very smart player and future team captain type of player.

5. Aaron Lynch, OLB, USF
    Lynch is a guy I’m having a hard time figuring out where he goes. He started his career at ND and looked like he’d be a top 10 pick in the future. He ended up transferring to USF and sitting out a year. Some say he was home sick, and other say he had an attitude problem.

Lynch played DE for USF and didn’t look nearly as good as his freshman season. He came on strong near the end of the season though. He’d be a project for the Steelers, and there are rumors of effort concerns, but he could be a steal if he regains any of his form from his freshman season.

6. De’Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
    I’ve seen thomas projected as a first rounder, and a 7th rounder depending on what website you look at. The consensus is that he should have returned to school for his senior season because he had a down year.

I don’t like the idea of taking 175 lb. RB’s early in the draft, but at this point it’d be ok. The Steelers need depth at the position, and need a return man. Haley has shown that he loves backs like Thomas. Chris Rainey didn’t work out, but Thomas may prove to be a dangerous return man, and change of pace back.

7. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
    I wanted Vontaze Burfict in the 7th round so bad in the 2012 draft, and he’s now a pro bowler.

Jackson reminds me of Burfict. He’s a fiery, hard hitting, tackling machine. He toes, and probably crosses the line as far as intensity goes. He was suspended his senior season for unknown team rules violations.

I’ll admit Jackson’s game is a mess in a lot of areas. He has speed, but often gets out of position because he’s too aggressive both in the run game and in pass coverage. He punishes runs up the middle though, and at worst could be a special teams standout, with the potential to contribute down the road if coaches can control his aggressiveness. It’s worth a shot this late.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I really kind of hate this mock. I would only take Benjamin in the first if we traded down. In my opinion the 2nd round is too early for Baptiste. Same thing with Gardner in the 4th, but more like 2-3 rounds early.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, other than the Lynch and Thomas picks, not alot for myself to be excited about. For me Evans > Benjamin and I love Baptiste, but I wouldn't take him in the 2nd.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I really like the De'Anthony Thomas pick, because I think he would have a positive role for us right away much like Chris Rainey did (although I think Thomas is a scarier athlete). I would totally be cool with taking chances on guys like Lynch and Jackson because the ceiling is higher for them than most players at their position that late in the draft. I cant say I know enough about Gardiner to have an opinion. The second half looks alright to me.

With that being said, I don't think you could've taken two guys I dislike more with your first two picks... It's easy to fall in love with Benjamin's size, but he is a MAJOR project, and MIGHT become a solid NFL WR if it all "clicks". To me, that is just too much of a risk for an 8-8 team to be taking at pick 15. We just simply have too many holes to be drafting a project WR in the first round. And, I don't see what everyone else is seeing in SJB. He seems to lack the necessary skills to make an NFL roster. Too slow, struggles in coverage, too many PI penalties, can't tackle etc. let the Browns draft him.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we need a safety at least

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    we had one in the Titans game this year didn't help tho:smiley1:

we need to keep the ones we have ,neither smoke pot.

ilike benjiman if we do trade back and get some more picks

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    good point, cant get anything by you.lol

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry SBD, not a fan of this mock, not even from a positional standpoint. I've been flip flopping on Benjamin, suffice to say I wouldn't want him at 15 then. I can't see spending two picks on LB's when the secondary is much more of a need IMO. And while I like Thomas, I don't really think I want to draft a RB.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for me the first tre picks has to be (not in particular order )
    cb safety wr/te (depends which kind of offense they are planning)

so some combination like this

dix - matthews - mcgill -
    ewans - fuller/roby- brooks
    dennard - matthews -brooks

if we touch te , i lie sefarian jenkins maybe trading down or niklas and fiedorovicz in the 4th

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We are on the same page here Freak. I really think it will be FS, CB, WR in any order for our first 3 picks. I like options 1 and 3 the best of the ones you mentioned above. I'd be pretty happy with Dix - Roby - Moncrief as well if we can't land Matthews at our pick in the 2nd.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not a big fan of this one SBD, but there is still to much unknown with players currently here.

with shamarko in year two and golden in year 3 I'm not so sure safety is as great of need early in this draft.

I'm with freak on fuller or roby. either or both could move up in this draft after the combine and if roby can go. I still like dion bailey as a safety and huff as a safety corner tweener and Sorensen and darby later, but guys like vereen, aj marshall and the CB from south Carolina Hampton I think, (I think he could be a better safety then corner, but still another tweener) are pretty solid too. all later picks.

we need a corner starter, so that has to be a higher one usually.

we need a WR but again, we have guys in place and not as huge of a need and especially with how deep the position is in the draft. also again it depends on current players movement.

we need some LB help.

we have weapons most teams would drool over. ben. heath. AB. bell. a good FB in Johnson. a good 2nd TE in spaeth. we also have young guys as draft picks in wheaton and brown in year two. we have a tall young WR in moye, that has good hands, is fast and is not all that small weight wise. again we don't know about cotch, but as a 3rd slot vet, he can get it done too. he's also 6-1 and not tiny. most teams would love to have this much firepower on offense. what's been holding this o back? a big wr? NO, the line that has given up 40+ sacks again and pressures and penalties that kill drives, even though they have played slightly better when we went to the no huddle and quick passing game to free up some better running.

we need a RB as a backup feature runner. if bell gets dinged it will affect this offense in a big way, if dwyer has to take over. again depending on player movement even if he's back.

so much is unknown right now. as SG says I'd be happy with roby-moncrief, but not nescessarily with dix in the first. I could get on board with something like van noy-roby-moncrief-bailey-huff, OL,RB,TE.:cool:

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like Van Noy at #15 but definitely have some interest in the 2nd.. Like we said though, a lot can change between now and May.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm with the others. Benjamin will be a 2nd rd pick but he probably has 1st rd talent. I'd take him quickly if he made to us in the 2nd. I think maybe each of the 1st 3 pick are too early. I don't think Lynch fits our scheme either.

Cajun-