1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Defense Defense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually think that is who we are going to wind up drafting, which isn't a bad thing, reminds me of Heath. I think we go defense round 1 and 2 and take Fiedorowicz in the 3rd. Assuming he doesn't move up, think I have seen some having him go in the second.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the only reason I mentioned amaro is the fact he is more like a wr. a big wr that most want. he also has some blocking ability that would help. he's a bigger target and a bigger mismatch. I think he's more of a two for one item. I expect he'd be around for us in the 2nd. why not save a roster spot and a pick if they want a big wr and a 3rd TE and a redzone target. I still think it's a luxury pick, but does two things. adds the big wr and the TE.

I meant cut will Johnson because they don't or won't use him in all these multi TE, 5 wr sets.

I have never been a big fan of a big jump ball type for ben. especially if he's a #2 receiver. amaro wouldn't be that.

I also said not many have won the SB. boldin last year with the ravens won one. boldins been in the league a while.
    :cool:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Amaro wont make it past NE, unless they like Jenkins better.

4. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed and if the Ravens select Ebron, Amaro won't make it past Green Bay.. If that's the case Sefarien-Jenkins won't make it past NE, IMO.. All 3 could go in the 1st under that scenario.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    call me stupid but between this trio i prefer sefarian jenkins

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not interested in a TE at #15 if they go offense go WR they will help the team more. I haven't seen Amaro rated to go that high in the draft, I know Ebron can catch but how's his blocking. I didn't say they should draft 3 consecutive defensive players, I would draft a CB, S, and a big WR in the first 3 picks.

7. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I know that I'm alone on the TE early, other than Blast Furnace, I just feel that it would create mismatches not only for the new TE but also for Heath and Bell when all 3 are on the field together.

Many MB members think that a pick at TE is to replace Heath but for me it couldn't be farther from the truth. I think it would extend Heath's career. It's almost unfair what we ask him to do IMO.

As for the DB's... I actually like the mid-round prospects more than the early prospects.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm all for a TE early I think darcrav is as well.

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I stand corrected. It's obvious after looking at your posts. Nice to know that our "team" is larger.. :lolol:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought there were a bunch of people wanting a TE early. I don't know why drafting a TE = replacing Heath either. The two are independent of each other. Like drafting a WR is replacing Brown or an ILB is replacing Timmons.

11. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbs_up:

For some reason I felt like BF and myself were alone on TE early.. Thinking back, it was TE and WR with the 1st 2 picks I believe.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they draft a TE at #15 Heath will be gone after the season. A WR is not seen as replacing Brown because they could possibly start alongside Brown or play a lot in 3 receiver sets along with Wheaton. I don't see TE as some pressing need to use that high of a pick on.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't think so I think he will be around for two more seasons which is probably about all he has left in the tank. This gives him two years to mold a young guy into an all around TE.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    [h=2]Thursday, November 14, 2013[/h] [h=3]Tight End Throwdown: Eric Ebron vs. Jace Amaro[/h]

As passing offenses have evolved over the last 10 years, the expectation for having a Tony Gonzalez type of receiving weapon has gone from being a rarity and a special exception to something every team wants and expects out of their offense. The threat of an athletic player with great size who can work the middle of the field and press the safeties up the seam is vital to gaining favorable match ups for an offense's other skill players. This year's draft class features two big time Tight End prospects, North Carolina's Eric Ebron and Texas Tech's Jace Amaro. Both of these players are quality pro prospects and bring the receiving skills to the position that you want to see from a high round TE player. But of course the question has to be asked...is one better than the other? In my eyes, the answer is yes.

[​IMG]
    Eric Ebron's ability to attack down field and great hands are more like a WR than a TE. (GIF courtesy of Gifsection.com)​

Eric Ebron is essentially a 6'4, 245 pound wide receiver. His receiving skills and hands are phenomenal. He runs very good routes, I've watched 3 games from 2013 and another from 2012 and have seen him run almost the full route tree. He has good breaks for a player of his size and as you can see above, has soft hands to make all kinds of quality catches. He spends much of his time split into the slot from a two point stance, but does show the ability to play inline and get a clean release off the ball and into his routes. Ebron has outstanding speed, as illustrated above by the separation he's created against his defender. This was a simple seam route between the hashes. That kind of gap between a receiver and a defender can only be accomplished through a busted coverage, a great break or great speed. Ebron from a blocking aspect is willing. He makes some nice blocks, but obviously with a player of this nature it isn't going to be his greatest strength. We'll cover more of his weaknesses after taking some time to discuss the strengths of Jace Amaro.

[​IMG]
    Jace Amaro's ability to close cushion and feel for zone coverages is on full display here. (GIF courtesy of DraftMecca.com)

As good as Eric Ebron is at running routes, Jace Amaro matches him every step of the way. They each attack the defense in their own unique ways however. Amaro's route tree is a little less expansive, but he actually does a better job of selling the routes that he does run, the finer points. Each was graded as 'great' route runners, not good but not perfect. Amaro has a great understanding of sitting down in zones. He will slide or cut into a vacated area behind a clearing route, showing great instincts and intelligence. Amaro has really strong hands himself, catching the ball away from his body as a natural receiver. Amaro does a nice job working the middle of the field, he runs a delay/stalk route up the seam where he sells a stalk block on a linebacker before bursting beyond to get behind the second level. Amaro runs well and is capable of creating yards after the catch. Like Ebron, he is a willing blocker, effort is great and not the issue.

So thus far, these two guys sound pretty similar and that's because they are. They win match ups in a lot of the same ways. But there is separation between the two players. Let's start with what Amaro does better than Ebron: Amaro as a blocker has better power at the point of attack. He gets good movement, but more importantly when he's fit in his block he's got a wider base, and that extends into the other thing he has over Ebron, which is balance. Amaro has outstanding body control and balance both in the blocking game and in the receiving game. Amaro will go across the middle for passes and still manage to contort himself to avoid a blocker with minimal time to adjust. Ebron as a blocker has his feet closer together, which causes defenders to be able to spin or slide off without Eric being able to mirror quickly enough to maintain the block.

As far as Ebron advantages, it starts with with quickness and YAC ability. Both are connected to one another, as Ebron is a more dynamic athlete. He attacks down field with greater success and consistency. After the catch, Ebron has a great ability to make a man miss. Both of these things will lead to more chunk yardage plays. The biggest discrepancy between the two players lies right there in Yards After Catch. Ebron has the speed and the quickness to capitalize on a one on one coverage. Jace Amaro, on the other hand, has good quickness but lacks the kind of long end speed to be a TRUE seam buster and big play Tight End. He still has the route running acumen to ensure he will create separation and is crafty enough vs. zone coverage that getting open will not be an issue, but after the ball is in their hands, Ebron's athleticism, quickness and long speed is the one thing in my eyes that truly separates the two prospects.

So where do they grade? Both of these players in my evaluation are 1st round quality prospects, but I score Eric Ebron as an 8.30, First Round grade and Jace Amaro as an 8.01, First Round grade. Two new age receiving Tight Ends...but only one can go first. If things go the way I see it, Eric Ebron will hear his name called first. That is of course assuming they both declare​

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? There is no rule that both TE's can't play at the same time. If they can run 3 WR sets they can run 2 TE sets as well.
    The new TE would be under a 4 year contract I believe.. At a reasonable cost.

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Great post! Thanks for the breakdown on these two.. BTW, I agree with the writer.

17. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    sorry,
    I got this from the Mike Evans link TTF had
    of course I saw the UNC on the side and went there reading (just kind of get drawn in when I see UNC,which makes it hard for me to watch the stock ticker at the bottom some channels:smiley1:)
    it was below the breakdown of the OT I believe
    which is also a good read too

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Well they got something right then.. sorry TTF couldn't resist :smiley1:

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No skin off my back. I just shared it as food for thought, I didn't write it. :lolol:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    UNC has a lot of good players, why they don't have a better record then they do in the ACC is a mystery? every year they seem to put out some good pro prospects. this year there are a lot of them. I do like hurst, broken leg or not. renner. price. ebron. boston. last year the top RB. what's up with this?:cool:

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Cutting Spaeth would be a step backwards. He's a very good inline blocker and an asset to our running game. It wasn't a coincidence that the running game improved once Spaeth returned. If they're going to cut a TE it will be either Johnson or Paulson. Johnson's game has steadily improved, but he keeps getting sidelined by injury. If Paulson doesn't show significant strides this year I'm betting he will be gone.

Part of me really wants to see the OL fixed once and for all. However, we are THIN at OLB, ILB, S, and CB. If Spence is able to return to form it will alleviate some of the pain at ILB. At OLB we've got an oft injured Woodley, Worilds, and a hope that Jones can be a force, but Jones has a lot of work to do.

Assuming that Kiesel doesn't come back DL isn't exactly a strength either. We have Arnfelt and Williams, but neither of them have shown anything outside of preseason against scrubs. Williams is also expected to be a long term project. Of course he was placed on IR in August which just holds off on his development.

22. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of Spaeth. I just don't see what he offer's at this stage of his career. He can definitely be upgraded IMO.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Fixed

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Agreed!

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not going for Ebron at #15 he's not a good inline blocker and he scored a whopping 3 td's last season. At least WR's like Evans and Benjamin score TD's and use their size to their advantage. I would be fine with giving Heath a contract extension then drafting a TE isn't a priority.