1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense Defense Defense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 7, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's what that this years draft should be about after watching what Seattle did to Denver in the Super Bowl, the Steelers really need to fix their secondary. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State is probably the #1 CB in the draft if he's there at #15 they should draft him, I would draft another CB in the later rounds to develop. This draft has depth at Safety and CB they should be able to find some guys in the mid and later rounds. They could also use some depth at DE, ILB, OLb. Two safeties I like in the mid rounds are Deone Buchannon Washington State big physical hitter and Dion Bailey USC former LB switched to safety last season.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not the least bit interested in drafting 3 consecutive defensive players.

I would like to go offensive weapons early (1st 2 rounds) then I wouldn't care if the rest of the draft went to the defense.

Something like:

1st- Ebron or Amaro
    2nd- Matthews, Robinson, Benjamin, Moncrief
    3rd comp and 4th- CJ Gaines, Victor Hampton, Keith McGill, Aaron Colvin, Terrence Brooks, Pierre Desir, Dion Bailey, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Marqueston Huff... If Deone Buchannon falls that far (I doubt it), throw him into that group as well.

I would be targeting my DB's in the 3rd and 4th rounds. JMHO

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    see this is where I think amaro would work well. he'd be the big wr and the 3rd TE. freeing up a draft pick and a roster spot. if we do go CB early, I still think fuller is one of the best cover guys in the draft. then maybe a guy like huff with our comp 3rd, Wesley Johnson with a 4th, rajon neal with a 5th, and the rest defense. this would fill a lot of holes with really good picks.:cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. I've only watched a couple of Amaro's games so far, but I did not see a game changing downfield threat at all. He's a decent TE, but nowhere near pick #15 good in my estimation. Now, if he makes it to our second round pick, that could be another story. However, like I said, I haven't watched much. Mac if you have links to some film that support your view, please post them.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    nfldraftscout.com

not the part that goes to CBSsports. the actual NFL draft scout site. he's got the size, attitude, hands and resume' and was mostly used as a slot receiver which is what we need him for. we have spaeth and heath to block, and it could actually free them up more with mismatches. amaro would be a mismatch for any DB. he's ebron and evens rolled into one guy for you. what I do like is not so much his in-line blocking but his downfield blocking he does on DB's. which is tough for a bigger guy like him, but that's what he's been used to doing. which helps the run game. he's definitely studdly. he can run, and he's 260, but fills two holes for the team. I think it would be a great value and need pick.:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck elvis, I answered you on this thread in the one about mike evans. whoopsie:facepalm::smiley1::cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, you had me a bit confused for a sec there :)

8. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that :lolol:

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    There ya go mac

10. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree mac but I also believe that Ebron fits the mold..

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thank you 58. yea at first I confused myself. LOL:lolol::cool:

12. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Our entire freaking draft should be defense. We're so lacking in talent it ain't funny. This unit has trouble rushing the passer, defending the run, covering receivers, forcing turnovers, tackling ... pretty much everything you need a defense to do. We need speed, physicality, and youth. We need a bunch of guys who are hungry to replace the guys that are fat and happy or just plain suck.

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    There's nothing special about Amaro. Nothing. I've seen people compare him to Jimmy Graham ... those people need to get their eyes checked.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So we are going to ignore the fact that we have an aging TE and 1 wr that we know is good. Look wheaton may turn it on but More is a giant unknown. Unless these defensive rookies are going to come in and make an impact right away they aren't going to help next year. TE and Wr is were you are going to find guys that can come in and helpp immediately.

15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I guarantee if we pass up on Ebron at 15 the Rvens will have him to punish us

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ravens are definitely going for a big target, Ozzie has already said that not having that big physical guy like Boldin on the team hurt them.

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm going to agree with going Ebron if he is there. You gotta get a playmaker when drafting that low. Our base formation would be Miller and Ebro at TE with Brown and Cotch/Wheaton at WR andBell in the backfield. You could create so many mismatches with that as your base. You could go from a ssingle back two TE set to a five wide set and everything on between without letting the defense make a single substation. I expect our defense to be a lot better next year. By the end of the year we had a very young defense out there. For the most part we have replacements for the guys that aren't going to be there extra year.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    98 receptions and near 1,400 yards receiving, setting records for all TE's I guess could be construed as nothing. for a guy that doubled the catches ebron did last year and is bigger, I'm not seeing nothing. he's quite the weapon to have around.

did we forget how bad we were without heath miller last year. what do we do with will Johnson? we may as well cut him if we are going to run all this two TE systems. what do we do with spaeth? many seem to forget when he finally hit the field with heath the run game went better than it had all year. what happens if AB gets dinged up? who's gonna carry us then? how about if bell goes down? or beachum? we better not go all defense, or we will be very sorry. if we abandon what we do to put another pass catching TE on the field, what have we gained in pass protection? how many of those teams with the big WR or TE/WR types have won the superbowl or got to it?:cool:

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know why they don't use W Johnson as a TE cause they certainly don't use him as a HBack or FB. He seems to have good hands and size and I bet he is faster then both those guys. Am I the only one who sees him as a weapon for us? To me we have the answer in house...

20. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    texas tech is like in the big12 right ?they don't play defense there do they
    throwing the ball around is what they do there.:smiley1:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've heard of that, but thought I had heard the ACC likes that type of play.:smiley1: hehe

similar to the steelers last year. oops did I say that out loud?:eek:

:cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was disappointed with the lack of use Will J got but I suspect that had a lot to do with Bell being used so much in the passing game. Of course, I don't remember seeing Will out there the first 3 weeks when Bell was on the bench either so who knows.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I seriously doubt the Steelers go for either Amaro or Ebron. I think we have a better shot at getting Ebron because I believe him to be the better all around player, as he is more athletically gifted and seems to have a better propensity to in-line blocking. The Steelers likely desire the skill set of Niklas and Fiedorowicz more so than they do Amaro or Ebron. There will be high quality TE's in future drafts, we will more than likely wait a year or two before snagging one.

That being said, I'd be shocked if we didn't draft an offensive player in the first 4 rounds. WR,OL, and TE are the best candidates. We HAVE to get a CB early though because he will see significant playing time, if not start right away. FS is another area we probably HAVE to draft fairly early too as this player is likely to see the field in his rookie year. I like the upside in Williams/Garvin, but an early ILB draft choice would start right away. Maybe even an early DE would start in lieu of Williams or Arnfelt, and would make Hood expendable (I'd rather just start a DL consisting of Heyward, Woods, McLendon)

The way I see it.... our D is weak. We just lost (or are about to lose) a ton of pro bowl caliber players when they were in their prime, and we need to replace top talent with top talent if we want to see the Defense rise again to the top tier in the NFL. We either have below average starters or lack significant depth at just about every position. We would be stupid not to draft heavily on that side of the ball.

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Why cut Will Johnson when you can cut David Paulsen or Matt Spaeth?? Would Matt Spaeth seriously prevent you from taking a TE upgrade?

I'm confused though mac.. In one post you're advocating Amaro and in the next you're saying nobody has won a SB with TE/WR types.

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying or the point that you are trying to make?

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he is playing contrarian with himself :shrug:

Of course I agree with you, cut most of that dead weight behind Heath and picked up a stud TE in the draft.