1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe both and let the shark roam the waters. hehehe. LOL:cool:

2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wonder why we are not hearing much about devin street, the wr from pitt? he's near 6-3 and pretty productive, not to mention sitting in their back yard.:cool:

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep. My opinion on getting Evans at #15 if he makes it there was already pretty much solidified, but this adds some solid statistical backup to my view. All we need is for him to run a 4.6 at the combine.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    my trouble is we are trying to break ben of the manzel type of play, and it was working in the 2nd half of the season. that is not something to build an offense around. I'm not sold evans has #2 wr numbers like that in the nfl. sure it would be a nice luxury to have one of these guys (evans or Benjamin), but it also makes you more of a jump ball offense. sure he will have these type of numbers with that type of qb play. we really don't need ben running around until he gets open. I'm also not sold on ben being able to drop those type of passes in evans hands like he had done for him a lot. seems a bit one dimensional to me.:cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn't make Ben revert to running around until someone gets open, our receivers are taught to do that when the play breaks down anyway, Evans would just be another guy already adept to doing that. There are going to be times that Ben has to scramble, you're never going to get rid of that completely nor should you, he makes important plays like that. And it helps having that big body when you need that tough catch, you can bet the Ravens will take Evans if he is there, hurt them alot not having that guy to go to when they didn't replace Boldin.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not saying that ben shouldn't when he needs to or that all wr's are taught that when the play breaks down, just that johnny did it a lot, and I mean a lot to get the ball to evans. he's had the best two OT's the last two years guarding his blindside and very good tackles guarding his front side and still ran around most of the time to get the ball to evans. big difference. the ravens have a lot more depth at wr right now and he would be a luxury for them, but that wasn't their only problems offensively.:cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not according to Ozzie, in addition to fixing the line, they need a receiver:

“We need to be able to get a receiver – whether it’s a tight end or a wide receiver – that can make a third-and-7, third-and-8 catch and run some after the catch,” he said.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...iorities/29cc31e7-f015-4e99-81fa-dc88a18d2c74

It's a big advantage having guys like that, if J Brown or Moeyr can do it, I'm fine with that but if they don't think they are capable, I want them bringing in someone who is.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think he's in the draft, I'm sure he was a freshman last season.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Wasn't he out a lot? I could be wrong, but the couple Pitt games I watched, I don't think he was on the field.

I'm pretty sure he was a senior, and I think he's declared.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will make some one a good ball player.
    Really Mac, Moye can do the job that
    will be asked of the WR position in this offense.
    Like I have said in other threads, There is
    only so many footballs to go around.Bell
    will more than make up for any pre concieved
    loss of catches that was made from Sanders position. I for see Sanders leaving for greener
    pastures and I see Wheaton and Cotch
    stepping in fine. Moye will get his chance,
    he better make the most of it.The Steelers will
    draft another receiver maybe 4th round and lower.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's evans 2nd lowest % of catches in that range. they miss their TE a lot. I'm also not saying not to draft a big wr, I'm saying I want one that can step on the field as a #2 receiver and run all the routes as well as he does the long jump ball routes that johnny and he ran a lot of. ben can't be running around all the time anymore. he will get killed. I'm just not sold he's that type of receiver. that's why I'm saying he's more of a luxury or specialty type of receiver to add to 2 good starters that can be there play in and play out and we can run the whole offense with. :cool:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so much depends on their qb's and what type of offense they were in. these numbers can be a tool but it doesn't tell a lot of what these guys may become with nfl coaching and offenses.:cool:

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Very good points, Mac.

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    True but when you catch 100 balls it tells me that you can catch a football and get open for the most part. Sometimes we over analyze things as well.. I know that I do at times.
    JMO

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    5th year senior at that. If he is there in the 4th I would absolutely grab him up. He plays the game a lot like ward did but a lot taller.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I was watching some more of rajon neal the rb from tenn.. he's got some similarities to bell. he would be a nice compliment to have behind bell incase. most are showing him around the 5th or 6th. he's got good vision and sees that crease and hits it with a burst like bell does. he catches the ball well and can run behind the zone blocking. he was right up there for me as one of the better compliment type backs that could go to starter if needed and we wouldn't have to struggle or change much on O. I think I've reaffirmed him as a good pick later for us in my mind. any of you UT guys like him?:cool:

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally agree, I've been on the Neal bandwagon for awhile.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what do you think about taking calvin pryor at 15 ? right now i think could be the best choice if the draft fall down as it seems

20. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Pryor and Clinton-Dix are good players but I'd rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd comp (?) and take Bailey or Brooks.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    AGreed. I am a big fan of Clinton-Dix, but I don't think I would take him at #15. To me, he is more of a 20-25 type guy. ANd yup, if we get a 3rd round comp pick from Wallace (which I expect), I think that is a great time to take a S. Pretty good depth at that position in this draft.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, even as late as the 5th, 6th or 7th. huff, darby, sorensen not to mention some listed corners that project as better fits at safety.:cool:

23. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Marqueston Huff is my late round target.. He's a good football player

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so is Sorensen, not sure why the snub, but he has been moving up the boards as of late. at least into the 7th. a.j. marshall, jean-baptiste, McGill, vic Hampton, bailey I like a lot too. any of these guys could be good safeties. or at least duel position guys for us.:cool:

25. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I've seen you mention Sorensen quite a bit.. Not too familiar with his play. I'm going to have to take a good look at him.