1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What I'm hoping for in the 1st rd

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Badboy212, Jan 15, 2014.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    can yankey play lt in the pros. I know he played alittle there at Stanford but if he is a guard no way in the first right?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    absolutely he could play it in the pros. what he also brings would be a guy that could play LT if something happened to beachum, which is a huge need for us. he was an all- American at tackle last year for Stanford.:cool:

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DeCastro , Cooper and Warmack went in the 1st round over the last two drafts. I think the value of guard play has become more important recently in the NFL.. Or they've just recognized that value.

Either way I'm not sure that we want to invest a 1st round pick on both Guards (DeCastro and Yankey) and the Center (Pouncey) on our O-line. If Yankey is brought in to play Tackle, then maybe..

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yankey is listed as a guard no way the Steelers would draft him at #15, if you address O-line draft a LT.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i want to see waht happen in fre agency and who will be released , then i should have a better vision of what we need

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, the tight cap and huge list of free agents makes it difficult to make a complete list of needs.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    starter at guard, which is an immediate upgrade over foster and the backup at LT which we don't have currently on the roster.:cool:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have too many needs on defense, I don't think they're looking to replace Foster they gave him a contract extension not that long ago.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    oh I don't mean to say the value of a guard is not important. what I am saying is we need players other than at guard

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they signed him back after he sat as a FA without any offers, to a minimal contract. he pretty much won the job by default last year.:cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder how much say
    Munchak
    will have in this draft? He will have to see how poorly our OT position really is, as the great MT says, its on tape. He was brought in to make up for the poor draft selections MT
    and Colbert made when evaluating
    Gilbert and Adams. Sorry kind of off the original subject.
    For the record I do not forsee the Steelers drafting an OL in the first round. Unless Matthews falls that far. There is just too much business that needs to get done before the draft, that I have no clue who the Steelers will target.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's not off the original subject at all. I'm sure Munchak will have some input into what pieces he needs he to create a strong line, and that will be taken into account in building the draft board. If he reviews the game tape from 2013 and says that he can do something with Adams and Gilbert, but Foster - ugh…. well then I've got to believe that LG would take on a bit more of a priority. I still have more tape to watch on Yankey and Zack Martin to draw my final conclusions, but I'm with Mac on why either of those guys could provide us with a boost of versatility on the line IF they showed enough at LT to play it adequately in the NFL. If I recall, several years back Faneca kicked out to LT for a while due to other injuries, and while he wasn't nearly as great out there as he was at LG, he filled in admirably. A quality LG who could do that in a pinch would be a nice guy to have. To me the question is value at pick #15. I'm not sure that either guy is a strong value pick that high in the 1st round compared to some players at other positions who may be available.

13. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Munchak will have say in the draft, but no way we go OL in the 1st rd. NO WAY!

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No way? Probably not, but I think it's a possibility. There's only a few positions that are "no ways" in this draft, and OL isn't one of them.

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree.
    We have more pressing needs IMO..

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That may be the cheapest way to a quality OL, though. LT's command huge contracts, so maybe we focus on LG-RT and save some contract money in the long run while still fielding a quality line. I want to keep our young talent past their first contract, so if we get another guard we stand a better chance of doing that, than say a quality CB, pass rusher or LT.

As much as I'd like to infuse some needed young talent into our defense, OL is still my target for the first round. Let our franchise QB retire behind a Steel Pocket! I'm sure Bell wouldn't mind, either.