1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What I'm hoping for in the 1st rd

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Badboy212, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mosley also has had a dislocated elbow. a dislocated hip. shoulder surgery.

c.j. mosely:

49 games.
    299 tackles
    23 tackles for loss
    6.5 sacks
    19 pass breakups
    5 interceptions

kyle van noy:

52 games
    226 tackles
    62 tackles for loss
    26 sacks
    19 pass breakups
    7 interceptions
    5 TD's

mosely had a lot more around him too.:shrug::cool:

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We'll have to agree to disagree Mac. Stats mean something, but I watch games and go by what my eyes tell me. My eyes tell me that Van Noy needs to improve his tackling or he will not live up to 1st round draft status in his NFL career. You made a point about Mosely having more around him, well, Mosely also played against top tier competition weekly, and I watched him routinely work his way off of blocks by 300+ lb. SEC linemen to make tackles near or behind the line of scrimmage. They're both great prospects in their own ways, but I think Van Noy needs a bit more to be a finished NFL product. Mosely is ready now. That's my opinion. Yours is different, and that's fine.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would take Mosley over Van Noy all day too. But then again, in a 3-4, I see Mosley more as an ILB while Van Noy would be a OLB, so we're not truly comparing apples to apples here.

I'd be happy to have either, but I don't think the Steelers will be looking at an OLB in Round 1.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    not really a fair comparison. byu plays maybe 2 opponents a year of top quality. bama plays at least 8 against nfl ready players.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    BYU uses a 3-4 and van noy plays both OLB spots and ILB in it.:cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    please. bama played the 40th toughest schedule and BYU played the 49th. not as different as you think.:cool:

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    from colberts mouth: http://www.steelers.com/news/articl...ine-Game/dabe12d3-3fab-4dfe-b30a-4cc75d0a2402

not all players come from the SEC. way too much hype being from the great and powerful SEC. why would teams ever look elsewhere? do you guys really think that a player slotted by mel kiper or whomever couldn't be drafted at 15, because some draft nik thinks he's only rated at # 20 in the first round? c'mon, get serious.:facepalm::cool:

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    AND

the sec didn't win the bcs

boom goes the dynamite

AND

the sec is not favored to win it next year either

click click pull

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see the Steelers losing Worilds to FA
    I think the Steelers will not over pay
    again for an unproven player.So I see
    an OLB coming into play once again
    this draft. I like Van Noy and am going
    to do more studying on that position.

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Van Noy has looked great at the Senior Bowl. I just have a hard time believing the FO will go OLB in back to back years in Round 1.

11. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they do I hope Mack falls to #15..

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    To the Van Noy fans, watch "Kyle Van Noy vs. Virginia (2013)" on youtube and tell me that he doesn't need a LOT more work as a tackler. I have seen similar instances of multiple missed tackles throughout a game on the other tapes of him that I have watched. Also, to my eyes his combination of physical traits and football smarts fits better on the inside in our scheme, which is why I compare him directly to Mosely. I'm not saying he's a bad player by any stretch. I think he's a darn good player. However, I'm pretty sure that when I'm done with my rankings I will have at least 20 guys ranked higher than him on my board. Maybe 30+ guys. So for me, he's not a pick that I would make at #15.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so you really think that van noy has played against as many nfl ready players as mosley? that's what I was arguing more than anything

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with you. I like Van Noy as a player, but in no way would I ever want him at #15. I don't think he is THAT good. Just finishing up my Top 30 today and he is on the list, but just barely.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Have you watched Van Noy in the context of an ILB prospect NB? If you haven't, take another look and let me know what you think. I see his strengths playing better inside than outside in our defense. I don't think he has the strength to set the edge against the run in the NFL, and it seems to me that he is a one trick speed rusher on the edge. He'd do well rushing off the edge against lumbering slowpokes, but would be a walk in the park for more agile tackles to handle. However, inside I see his lateral agility being a great asset. I also think he drops into middle coverage well, and reacts quickly to the ball being thrown over/by him. I also think that his quickness would make him a very difficult inside blitzer for interior linemen and backs to handle. The question is whether he would be able to fend off guards and centers if our nose and DEs are unable to keep him clean.

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this assessment..
    I don't think Van Noy translates to an OLB in our system. I do agree that he misses a lot of tackles but he does make some impact plays as well. The way I see it, he's a late 1st round, early 2nd round selection. His combine could be off the chain though.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    as an olb for us i like jeremiah attaochu

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    :) Mac is not liking some of our assessments of Van Noy... On a brighter note Mac, I watched a couple of Stanford games and your boy Yankey is quickly moving up my draft board. I think he's an incredibly efficient and steady left guard.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://football.webtvhdstream.com/

here is a live streaming of the sr. bowl that I found, if anyone is interested in watching the game.

nfl draftscout.com has some new news up about van noy today if you haven't seen it yet elvis. you may be the only one in the country that thinks so lowly of him. I'm just amazed by it, but that's your opinion. he would be the best LB overall we would have on the team next year and his ability to play equally as well at OLB ( on either side which makes a huge difference) and at ILB if that's where he would be needed make him so much more of a better asset to a team then either shazier or c.j. mosely, because they would never make it as a 3-4 OLB. his position flexability make him a much better prospect that a team can move to any LB spot on the field at any given time.:cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I with you on this one Mac, not only is Van Noy better but Mosely already has a alarming checklist of injuries :eek:

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    What can I say Mac. I go by what my eyes tell me, and not by what the hype machine says. I've been wrong on my evaluations before, but I've been right WAY more than I've been wrong. I will agree with you that Van Noy brings more positional versatility to the table than Mosely (I don't like Shazier for a 3-4 based on what I've seen to date, so I'm not even going there). However, at pick #15 I want a long-term starter at one position, not a fill in at multiple positions. I see him as an ILB in our system, and maybe a really good one - just not in year 1. If we trade down to the lower part of round #1, he may be on my radar. AS a potential #15 overall pick - there is basically zero chance of him being the BPA on my board at that point.

Bottom line Mac - watch the tape and count the sheer volume of missed tackles, broken arm tackles and mis-timed lunges that Van Noy makes. If you want to watch it and gloss over the missed tackles - what can I say? They're right there on film, and completely un-missable. In my mind he brings a lot to the table, but he's still a work in progress that needs to be re-educated on proper tackling technique. For that reason, I can't justify him at #15 (especially with how badly missed tackles killed us earlier this season).

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    of the 4 missed tackles elvis is referring to in the Virginia game one KVN was in the backfield off the edge as the qb was riding the belly of the rb. KVN was in position to make the play on the rb if the handoff happened and also the qb. as the qb kept it and jumped to the outside KVN attempted to wrap up the legs and did miss but blew up the play for his teammates to make. the announcer of the game said the same thing. still altered the play.

2. he was chip blocked knocking him off his line but still made an attempt at the sack and still blew up the play for his teammates again to make the play.

3. he missed a sack but again altered the play for his teammates to make a play and it went for an incompletion.

4. came off the edge on a dive play to the rb that was actually already past him but KVN still got a hand on the rb to slow him for his teammates again to make the play.

it's not always about the initial guy making the tackle but his being the disruptive force to alter the play for his teammates to shut it down. that's 4 of the so called missed tackles that he was involved with in that game, not counting all the plays he did make in that game. he's every bit a 1st round talent that will make any defense better by far. he's been doing it at this level for 4 years too. that's where I think elvis is missing the boat on this guy. :cool:

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this as well.
    David Yankey is quickly becoming a guy I would love to draft if we didn't have (2) first rounders in the middle of our O-line. Sorry mac, I tried... :lolol:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's no biggy guys, everyone won't like the same players. talent is talent though. if it makes our offense better to have 3 1st rounders in the middle I consider this a weapon for the offense and ben and bell. choose your weapon. we can't get them all. I just hate to miss really good ones. :cool: