1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

don't mock me

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 2, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he comes in as the 3, big target, red zone, size wr. I think it's wheaton and AB as the starters. I would rather have coleman for that type of receiver, but I'm not sure they would wait and take a chance of coming up empty. they are the true big guys. evans, I think will be gone. now if we are going for a #2 starter opposite AB, then I don't think he would be our guy. Benjamin would be more of a luxury pick, with a purpose.

I'm also not sold on ebron and amaro or saf-Jenkins as the kind of TE we will go for. the later because of off field issues. I do think he has a better all around game then the other two. I think they are glorified wr's. if we are getting a wr then get a wr, not a TE and use him as a wr. our TE's have to be able to block some, or we may lose some effectiveness with bell, because of it.

as far as hyde at rb in the 3rd, if he's there, he would be a steal. if bell goes down a 3rd rounder is not too high. we can run our offense pretty much the same with either guy. at a high level. 16 plus games is a long season. dwyer is not close to these two if he had to become the feature back at some point. that would hurt the offense. bell, hyde, dwyer would give us the best backfield in the league.:cool:

2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. I'd do everything we could to trade down a few spots. as far as attouchu, I like him. whats nice about him is he has played as a 3-4 LB and a 4-3 LB. he's flexible and has some knowledge of the 3-4. he played well in both. if we wait though, Kennard is a solid LB that late.:cool:

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i thought we could use him at n°2 he reminds me a little ..dwayne bowe

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    how about, Benjamin/coleman- moye- j.brown- heath- spaeth as our 5 in the red zone? go ahead and try to wipe the smile off of ben's face. LOL:lolol::cool:

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd go with Jordan Matthews, Moye, Brown, Heath and Eric Ebron... Just sayin' ;)

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Just keep in mind that we have the Ravens & Jets picking after us. I'm sure I am not alone in thinking that BOTH teams will HEAVILY be taking a look at WR. If you trade down, you probably can cross off 2 receiving threats off the board.

I don't think Evans is going to light it up at the combine, so I think he could still be hanging around at #15. Then again Baltimore or NY could jump us in the draft if they covet a certain WR bad enough.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if you want two short guys. LOL:lolol::cool:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    is it really that evans and amaro are so much better? if brandon coleman or fiedorowicz had manzel throwing to him the last couple of years, they would be at the top of the charts. does that make evans and amaro better receivers once they hit the NFL or just look better on paper now?

I believe this is where most make the mistake of looking at draft boards to make their determinations. same as ebron. when renner was throwing to him, the numbers were better. did that make him less of a good receiver since the backup was throwing to him? no it means he had less quality passes going to him in college. just sayin.:cool:

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL touchee'

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't see any qualities out of Fiedorowic that would ever lead me to believe he would ever be anything more than a Matt Spaeth type of player. Now, this isn't a bad thing. He will be a solid backup TE, but that's not really what the Steelers are looking for right now.

As for Coleman, what he showed us as a SO was exactly what type of player he can be. I don't really care that he wasn't as effective as a JR. With his size, if he runs in the 4.6 range, then yes, I don't have a problem looking at him in Round 2. For me though, if Mike Evans is there in at #15, I pull the trigger. While Evans has size, I think his competitive drive can make him an ELITE WR.

I know you mention the TEs (Ebron & Amaro), but I don't have either of them as 1st round prospects.

If we don't go WR in Round 1, say we go LB, there is a GREAT group of WRs to be considered in the mix for our 2nd round pick. Matthews, Moncrief, Coleman, Robins, the 2 LSU kids...

I think whether we go WR/LB or LB/WR in the first 2 rounds, its win-win. I know you are big on an OL pick, and I wouldn't hate the Yankee pick, I just think its time we give Ben a BIG ELITE weapon.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    coleman is also a 2-time academic all-American. so he has some brains.

picking yankey in the first would still give us coleman a smart big target in round 2. 6-5 1/4 same size as evans. with good hands too.

Matthews, coleman, Benjamin, moncrief would be my top 4 wr's. moncrief the shortest of the bunch but he's a rough azz on the field. plus he goes 226. robinson is in that mold of him too. I wouldn't rule him out either.

there are guys past pick 15. it's a tough year to pick just one guy at several positions, with guys having the same skillsets at LB,CB,WR,TE,RB,S. just not near as many on the O-line now that several of the top guys are going back to school.:cool:

12. flaccosucks

flaccosucks Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Anytime you can draft D line, its a good thing

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like it Benjamin is a freak 6'5 with leaping ability.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    scratch colvin now.:facepalm::cool:

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah that stinks..

16. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I know he's got the torn ACL and all, but I hope he doesn't get downgraded too much. It would be bad for the Senior Bowl. He came out to compete. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick coming in, I hope he gets drafted there. We've seen guys with major injuries still go appropriately high in the draft regardless.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I also saw Jensen pulled out with an abdominal sprain.:cool:

18. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Stills over Wheaton? Then could have reed over Wheaton.

Our receiving core would look like brown stills reed and Heath.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    still in progress, but if we could pull this off, I'm happy:

1. david yankey OG/OT Stanford................... yep still here
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt................ if we can pull these two off, the draft is already a success
    3. keith McGill CB/FS Utah........................... big and opening eyes at the sr. bowl with coverage
    4. marqueston huff CB/FS Wyoming.............. not as big but speed to burn and also opening eyes in coverage
    5. brent urban DE Virginia............................ a very good 5 tech, fits the 3-4
    6. caleb lavey ILB Oklahoma St. ................... flying under the radar of many and I'm not sure why. a very headsy and solid LB that creates turnovers and can flat out play.
    7. Daniel Sorensen S BYU............................. solid as they come at safety with good tackling and ball skills also nice size.
    7.a. dri archer WR/RB/RET. Kent St. ............. what can I say but lightning in a bottle. multi positional lightning in a bottle. kent state worked on defense here twice, time for some O.

:cool:

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mac I haven't looked at much draft stuff yet but of the 14teams ahead of the Steelers do any of them need a LG/OT like Yankey? I saw a few mocks that had the top five looking at Clowney, Broles, Carr and a few others but not Yankee yet. I have looked to see what their needs are.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he should be there for the taking for us thorn. getting Matthews in the 2nd would be the toughest part of this scenario.:cool:

22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I still have an OL in Round 1 as my #5 option, but getting Matthews in the 2nd would alleviate any concerns. The top 4 picks would be a coup for sure. Hopefully Matthews runs 4.6 and teams will leave him alone so we can scoop him up if we are looking at WR in Round 2. His work ethic is outstanding.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this is a little different

1. allen robinson WR Penn St.
    2. kyle fuller CB VT
    3. jaylon Watkins CB Fla.St.
    4. dion bailey S USC
    5. james gayle OLB VT
    5. storm Johnson RB Cent.Fla.
    6. Wesley Johnson T/G/C Vandy
    7. caleb lavey ILB Ok.St.

TBD * subject to change.:smiley1::cool:

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Van Noy as an ILB and think he will be there in the 2nd if we want him. I like Fuller, Coleman I'm not sold on, I really like Huff..

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    some different prospects to kick around. robinson has #2 wr skills, some size, decent speed, fights for the ball, passion in his game.

fuller is one of the best cover corners in the draft from man to zone and tackles well in the run game.

jaylon Watkins is a little under the radar as far as his cb skills. he is definitely a good one.

dion bailey has skills similar to our DB coach. similar to what we wanted to do with troy this year but better coverage ability at this stage of troys career. he's tough around the line of scrimmage and is a playmaker.

gayle has talent, size and speed. he was used as a down lineman in a 4-3 defense. he's got OLB in a 3-4 skills that were wasted at VT. he'll be better with a DE to his inside. a steal at 5.

Johnson doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on him. not the fastest guy but runs well and can catch out of the backfield. plays big, has a one cut burst.

max is like a computer on the field. whatever happened at the end of the season doesn't take away all the skills this kid has. smart, big, productive.

Johnson can play any position on the O-line. mostly the money spot. great mobility. plenty to work with as a backup across the board.:cool: