1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

zack martin

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know, I know, nobody wants an O-lineman, but this guy just keeps impressing. most say he's not the perfect size, the perfect footwork, want to move him inside to guard, but the guy just keeps showing he's worthy. :cool:

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd be happy with Martin in round 2. He's versatile, and he could work his way into the starting lineup and stay there for years.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm all for OL this draft, even in round 1. There was a point late in yesterdays NE/DEN game where Manning had 0 hits, 0 sacks, and 1 pressure/hurry. I think Ben would enjoy some success with that kind of protection. OL probably provides the most value of any position out there, and we can upgrade every position on our OL except RG and probably C, assuming Pouncey comes back healthy and stays that way.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    If he plays for Notre Dame, he's overrated. It doesn't even matter where he's ranked.

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Obviously improving the OL is not out of the question, but I think it is an oversimplification of the offense that Denver runs to say that the OLine is the reason he doesn't get pressured or hit. What makes Manning so good IMO is his ability to recognize the D and switch the play at the LOS in order to exploit the weakness of that D. The teams which are most successful against Manning are those teams which eliminate the most harm causing plays from being called and force him into calling things you can control. It would not surprise me at all if his stats look almost identical against Seattle. He is just so stinking hard to get pressure on.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    2nd round talent for me.

He may in fact go higher ala Justin Pugh from last year. Working against Martin is the fact he is not a great athlete, he has short arms, and the Notre Dame ground game was never a factor.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014practice.php

here's what he did at Mondays sr. bowl practice. I'm thinking a little better than rd.2. like I said he just keeps impressing.:cool:

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    You are correct sir. He does keep impressing me this week. And he's not going against powder puffs either. There is some serious talent on the North Squad DL. I still have questions though. I watch alot of Irish games since they are always on tv, and I just never saw an elite athlete. Not sure if it has to do more with the Irish blocking scheme or what. I know even Mayock, who is a ND analyst, is much more impressed by him this week than his 4 seasons with the Irish.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they moved him to guard tue. and he struggled. of course he's never played there before. I agree though he's one of those guys that gets it done despite not being the right size, or having the right footwork ability, as per the prototypical NFL model. I think past the first two LT prospects the field is pretty pedestrian. after several guys went back to school, they are overvaluing some OT's. to me martin and yankey are the next best two possibilities of guys that could work well for a team and maybe they drop some. I liken martin to beachum somewhat.:cool: