1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you think Phil Simms is a bad commentator...

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Thigpen82, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    LOL! That was great. I think I'd prefer that over Simms. "Mother Goooooose!":lolol:

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    dang I just figured everyone used the US announcers didn't really think there were other people calling games like the National championship

4. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    For the national championship - probably.

For the Superbowl, there's an "international" commentary (done by Americans, but a bit more basic), though it depends on who broadcasts it as to whether it's used, or if we get the commentary yous guys do. But often highlight shows and discussion shows will do the kind of stuff that this guy is taking the piss out of.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    What does that mean? I had to google naughty step the other day. I love learning new phrases. :-D

Is blimey still something that people say?

6. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Taking the piss = erm... can't think of a cross-atlantic equivalent. To mock insultingly, I guess. As in "are you taking the piss?", or "that game was a complete and utter piss-take."

Derivative of "taking the mickey" out of someone, though I think that's less used now.

Not sure about how well-used blimey is. It's not defunct, though.

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks, Thig. I can see many an american tourist being confused by that one.

In the mid '90s, I was travelling through Alberta and British Columbia, and was surprised to learn that pissed means more than being angry, or the past tense slang for urinating.

I came upon a very secluded hole-in-the-wall establishment in the middle of the wilderness. The smoke was thick and the floor was covered with sawdust. Well anyway, I made fast friends with some rather rough lumberjacks who were vowing to get me pissed all night. It was almost a Who's On First? reenactment as I swore I didn't want to have any trouble, and was just a friendly fellow looking for a good time, and their reply was a sarcastic "sure you are..." Eventually, we figured it out and a good time was had by all.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw a video of the actual Japanese broadcast of Joe Montana's Super Bowl winning drive against Cincy and man it is AWESOME! About the only word that you can understand is when he hits John Taylor and the guy says "TOUCH-UH-DOWN-UH!" It is as awesome as Ninja Warrior. Which if no one knows about Ninja Warrior I actually pity you. Makoto Nagano is quite possibly the baddest homosapien to ever live.

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    That place sounds awesome.

Though I would have been too tempted to sing the Monty Python song...

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I think I might have actually. :drinks::oops:

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Always look on the bright side of life...