1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    My main problem with the TEs is I think in today's NFL with Gronk, Jimmy Graham and Hernandez (pre-arrest) that every team is looking for the next athletic TE mismatch. This causes everyone to race TEs up the board and over value them. I just don't see any TE as a 1st round pick as it currently stands. I don't want to force something when there is better value around.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole thing is a crap shoot, two people can look at a player and can come away with a totally different feeling. I mean last year I loved Bell and others didn't, I think you were one of them, I'm no scout guru, just saw something in him I liked. I saw in another thread you like Barr and others don't see anything special (I have no opinion on him, not familiar with him), you just never know until they get on an NFL field.

I don't think Steelers will go TE though, that's just my personal crusade, I wanted Eifert last year. I know people are in love with Evans and Watkins but I don't think they go WR either and I don't really want them to unless they feel J Brown and Moyer have nothing to offer. At the moment, I think they are going to go CB.

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My gut feeling is that Ebron and Amaro go in the 1st and Sefarian-Jenkins goes early in the 2nd.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    does this mean heath becomes a full time blocker like spaeth? 9+ million dollars worth of blockers between he and spaeth? isn't this kind of like drafting a qb in the first and letting ben just hand off?:cool:

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no heath and sefarian like gronk and hernandez , spaeth as a back up or in some 3 tends sets

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would Heath have to stay in and block all the time? Teams have a hard time just covering Heath, I would think it would give defenses fits having to cover Heath and an Ebron type TE :shrug:

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This may sound weird, but I honestly hope he doesn't run very well at the combine, but shows really well at personal workout so he can slip to us in the 2nd. Of course, I am hoping the same thing about Evans in round 1. :)

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Just noticed that WalterFootball.com now has him (Evans) slipping in the draft all the way to us at 15. That would be awesome. They also have Yankey taken in round 2 with the pick right after ours, but has us taking Purifoy - CB from Florida in the 2nd.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    our line has played better but still can't handle blocking with just 5 men. someone has to block. ebron and amaro are not good blocking TE's at all. do we waste bell staying in to block? do we use 3 TE sets? < that's a little counter productive. :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Who stays in to block when Heath is receiving? I think most college TE's need to work on their blocking when entering the pros, doesn't mean they can't improve on it.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd also like to think our line will continue to improve.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL wow. we can have 5 giant receivers running down the field while ben stares up at the sky.:cool:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    exhibit 1. david Paulson.:cool:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whatever works :thumbs_up:

Whos the giant 5 by the way? Certainly not AB and Wheaton. The only 2 certain to be on the field, hell, it's not even certain Wheaton will be. Just got Heath so far.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So Paulson speaks for everyone? Never try again?

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heath has been staying in more to block so bell can get out into the patterns now. palmer was used a lot towards the end of the season for blocking and then spaeth. :cool:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Mike Adams. :lolol::facepalm:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Add it up, there is only so many footballs to go around.AB, Wheaton,Cotchery, Heath,BELL
    The Steelers have a game changer in Bell, and they would be stupid if they
    don't use him to the fullest extent.
    Passing game included.

20. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    So throw another high pick at an O-line that seems to be coming together and has two 2nd rounders and 2 1st's on it already?
    You should be an O-line coach. :lolol:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

why a TE, is what I want to know?
    we have a 1st and a 4th and a 7th there already so we should have another 1st?

why not a wr? we need one of those. why would we want to put a slower TE in the passing game to use as a WR? if we want a bigger guy, get a big WR. we have no 1st rounders at wr.

I do not have a problem throwing a high pick at the o-line though. it protects our highest paid player for 1 thing. it allows our new 2nd round RB to do what he does.

as for the two second round picks, you have got to be kidding me. we are one 7th round LT away from going back to the first 4 games. just because they are 2nd round picks doesn't make them worthy. we had one 2nd and one first rounder on the field starting out of the 4 you mentioned.:cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If I see another mock with us taking a LT in the first rd.... :kapow:

There is a big drop off after Ebron/Amaro/Jenkins, the Steelers have had good success finding WR's after the first rd, not so much with TE's as our current roster shows :bscow:

If TE's aren't in the Steelers plans early, then I'd hope they'd take Fiedorowicz, he's more in the mold of Heath.

23. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I am sticking with Mike Evans in the first round. He would be an impact player for us immediately. Brown, Evans, Wheaton, and Cotchery is a very, very good WR core. Even if we were to lose Cotchery and that 4th guy was Moye or Justin Brown, I really like that WR crew.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I certainly won't be upset if they take him, and his natural instinct to come back to the ball like he did with Manzeil will come in handy with Ben.

25. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    You can't just keep throwing premium draft picks at the line mac. At some point you have to develop what you have. I don't think that they've given up on Adams and Gilbert like you do. 6 sacks in the last 7 games mac. That seems like improvement to me. You're always talking about developing players at other positions. Why not the OL?
    It doesn't matter if that weapon is a WR or TE to me. The bottom line is that it will increase #7's arsenal. Is having 2 good TE's a bad thing to you? It's not like they can't be on the field together...