1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

don't mock me

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 2, 2013.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree totally on Pouncey ,as a matter of fact I'm gonna start making my Free Pouncey hats now.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't get me wrong I like pouncey, but we need the money and I don't think there is 2-3 million dollars of a difference between he and velasco's ability. I don't want to wait and see and take the chance that MP leaves in a year and we are back in center trouble down the road. I also think he and his brother are that close that they would want to play together in their own backyard.:cool:

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I agree Mac. Velasco isn't quite 2-3 million better than Pouncey ;) I'm kind of joking, but I've been on record as saying that I think MP is by far the most overrated Steeler, and I'm not going to change that assessment now. He's near the top of my list of expendable players.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    trade down in the first maybe multiple times if we pick earlier than 10 , add a second round and withe the first 3 picks (1 first 2 second ) get jace amaro , corey fuller , kile van noy
    do you think is possible ?

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    freak, I'm really liking david yankey. the guy is a stud lineman. I think we can still move down as I said above and get him. if we could pull this ^ off, I'd be very happy.

we would fix TE for 10 years.

sign velasco and add these two guys (yankey and hurst).

save money by dropping pouncey, foster and gilbert for sure and I'd even consider keeping adams < he's cheap as a 3rd T.

belue and exum could really bolster the d- backfield even if we got rid of ike.

van noy and bullough would set us up at the LB spot even if we couldn't sign worilds.

:cool:

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i like it

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's what I got in the early running. I'm adding in a 3rd round compensatory pick for Mike Wallace and a 4th for Keenan Lewis.

1. WR Mike Evans Texas A&M
    2. LB Christian Jones Florida State
    3. S Terrence Brooks Florida St
    4a. CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste Nebraska
    4b. LB Prince Shembo Notre Dame
    5. OT Austin Wentworth Fresno St
    6. RB Beau Blakenship Ohio
    7. DE Tim Jackson North Carolina

Ive talked at length about Mike Evans, but for those of you out there who want someone to look at, start watching tape of LB Christian Jones from Florida St. Might be one of the best cover LBs I can remember coming out of college. Like alot of us fell in love with Arthur Brown last year, I think Christian Jones will be the guy this year.

Jones`sideline-sideline coverage abilities is off the charts. He gets in good position in the run game and he can cover TEs and RBs in the pass game. There`s video of him defending passes 30 yards down the field.

He played all 3 LB spots with Florida St which tells me he can handle being a 3-4 ILB. He really looks like a 3 down LB. He`s not flashy. Not going to get alot of sacks or INTs but looks like a strong presence in the middle of the field.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    first off if Sammy Watkins is there, he's our man. I don't think he will be, so.

when I'm looking for another WR for this team, I'm asking can he be a #2 receiver? do we just want a big guy or a #2 starter? I do expect wheaton to get the shot. all of our rookies will be farther advanced then last year, so I don't worry as much about what they did stat wise as a rookie.

then I ask, if we want a big guy, can he become a long time #2 if we have an injury? does he play physical? just because he's big doesn't mean he's physical.

Is he a hands catcher? very important. college DB's aren't going to contest them like pros.

does he have enough speed and quickness to play at this level as a starter, even if he doesn't?

can he block?

is there upside? does he have brains?

can we get the same bang for our buck in a later round?

here are a couple guys I think can be starting #2's.

Jordan Matthews:
    I was a little leery of him the last couple of games. I believe he is playing a little to not get hurt during that time. I don't blame him. he stands to make a lot of money soon. more on the line in a couple of months then vandy's bowl game. he went back to school last year. he was my favorite wr last year, before the announcement.

he is a big man with deceptive speed. not a giant but 6-2 5/8. 4.55 listed, but he's a longer strider, but still plenty of speed.
    he has a good pair of hands. he can and does make tough one handed catches which means good hand-eye coordination. good concentration.
    he raised havoc in the SEC, without the best team around him. he was doubled always.
    I'd have to rank him near or at the top of my list of guys I think fit the criteria.
    2nd round rated right now but I think when it's all said and done, he'll be a 1st rounder.
    seasoned. good blood lines (related to jerry rice).
    may not be the most physical with the contested catch as some others.

allen robinson:
    kind of the lost guy in the shuffle.
    a good wr but a bit of a body catcher. has #2 wr possibility.
    2 year candidate for the beletnikoff award and wr of the year also. 1st team all-American.
    may need a little polish, but has the skillset.
    also not a giant. 6-2 5/8. 4.54 listed but he's got some football speed. also always doubled.

donte moncrief:
    6-1 5/8. 4.49 226
    no a giant but he is one of the better wr's at fighting for contested balls.
    a good hands catcher.
    uses his body well.
    is a good blocker.
    he could definitely be a #2.
    physical.
    only 3rd round ranked but I expect that to change some by draft time. he would be a steal in the 3rd and make a GM look like a genius.
    played at ol'miss which didn't help his numbers that much.

martavis Bryant:
    Sammy's compliment at Clemson.
    very raw. never ran the whole route tree at Clemson.
    size. 6-4 but only 200.
    good hands catcher. good blocker. has some speed.

Brandon colemen:
    I like this guy too a lot.
    possibly has #2 capability.
    real good hands catcher.
    big. 6-5 1/4 220.
    uses his big body well to make contested catches even when doubled.
    good blocker.
    physical. runs guys over to get to the EZ.
    2-time all ACC.
    played at Rutgers which hurt numbers.
    good football speed.
    definitely a guy to look at if we are looking at at least a big #3 for now.
    smart. 2 time academic all-American.
    could possibly get in RD.3 I'd expect RD.2 if he works out well. he's got the tape though.
    he would make your team better.

ty mongomery:
    if he comes out.
    physical.
    not a giant. 6-1 5/8 215
    good kick returner. all-American.
    smart. definitely 2-3 wr capable.
    Stanford runs a lot, so the numbers are not over the top.
    good blocker.
    did I mention physical with the other children? LOL

tyler lockett:
    not the big guy but I believe he would be a good #2 or #3 with the capability to start if needed.
    5-11 175 4.47
    good kick returner.
    smooth, savvy natural football and wr skills.
    gets open and very, very wily for his age. RS JR. has tricks to get open like vet pro's already.
    is a high all-purpose yard guy. (AB)
    polished.
    right now ranked in the 3rd or 4th RD. he'd be a steal there.

I'm not totally against mike evans, but in the first, I want that starter capable guy and I view him as a good receiver but more of a 3rd wr and I don't want that in the first at 15. the offense he was in, helped his game. if he slipped to 2 or 3, I'd consider it more.

I just think there are some others that bring a little more all around game, and a bigger conventional game. I'm not sure I want ben waiting for him to get downfield and bring that jump ball element to the offense. I think ben could tend to overuse it. I'm not saying it wouldn't help at times but, I want a guy with a lot more in his game against pro players.

so here are some guys to check out a little more in depth and consider how he'd help us as an all around #2 receiver during the year.

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like your breakdown on the prospects mac but what does the WR having to be a #2 have to do with it? I want as many play makers on the field as I can get. There are no parameters like that anymore IMO. Most teams run 3+ WR sets almost half of the time now. Give me the best "big" WR or TE and I'm happy, happy, happy.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if the best ot are gone i would trade down (if possible) to the bottom adding 2 nd or and 3rd and grab one between clinton dix -sefarian jenkins ,matthews, gilbert ,nix

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we need one. if it's wheatons job,then we could afford the luxury of a big 3rd wr. look at our 3rd guys over the last few years. they don't get tons of catches compared to the top two. if someone gets injured, this guy will be the next man up starting. can he play that role? a number 1 should be able to step in and start at #15. not all good wr's are big and not all big wr's are good. I think we would be further along with a good all around wr with the way the team sits right now. sanders and cothchery may or may not be back. I want a big wr Plus. that makes the pick a better long term help to the team, I'd think. if not, I'm not opposed to a smaller guy with the skills. we have some big targets now if they use them.:cool:

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we pick a wr in middle rounds i like abbredis

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree..
    I'd have no problem selecting Watkins.. :smiley1:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea that would be pretty OK.:smiley1::cool:

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This would be a very good draft for us NB. First three rounds are an absolute home run. The only guy I don't like is Jean-Baptiste, I'd rather someone like Cockrell from Duke.

IDK much about Blankenship from Ohio, but Kapri Bibbs (Colorado State) recently declared for the draft and I like him a lot (he'd probably be picked around R6 too). He has great speed, and runs pretty hard in-between the tackles. Would be a great change of pace guy for our O.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why don't you like Jean-Baptiste? Just curious.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He has good size, but I think his lack of burst and straight line speed would make him a liability out there. He would have to rely on an effective jam on every play. I also don't like that despite his size, he is a poor tackler. He basically just swipes his arms at the ball carrier's legs.

Idk. He might turn out to be a decent player, I just think we can do better than him in round 4 with Cockrell, Watkins from Florida, Chris Davis from Aubrun, or even Exum from VT. Just my personal opinion tho :smiley1:

18. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, Evans, Jones & Brooks would be fantastic IMO. A WR that would contribute immediately. Jones may not start in year #1, but he would contribute on ST and wouldn't be too far behind Williams as the backup at ILB. Brooks is everything I like in a FS. He's a former CB who can cover the entire field and can hit hard.

I think after the success of Seattle's CBs, we need to gamble on these 6'3+ CBs. Sherman and Browner came out of college with very little fanfare and have turned into Pro Bowlers. Use their size as an advantage and team them technique to overcome and foot speed issues.

Blakenship has a little Danny Woodhead in him. Very versatile. Worth a shot IMO.

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked him too but my cousin is a huge Nebraska fan and said he had to lead the nation in pass interference penalties. I am sure he is exaggerating but apparently he can hold up get against the run but struggles in press man. it might be a good thing we don't play that

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He is definitely a big project. But I think with a good DB coach and good coaching, you can make a good corner out of him. Another thing I like about him is his INT return average and his 2 career pick 6s. He's looking to score anytime he gets his hands on the ball. A gamble, but one I think is worth taking.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    would fill some holes nicely.

1.kelvin Benjamin wr 6-5 235 Fla.St.
    2.kyle fuller cb 6-0 195 VT
    3.carlos hyde rb 6-0 235 Oh.St.
    4.aaron colvin cb 6-0 195 Okla.
    4.a.marcel Jensen te 6-5 270 Fres.St.
    5.marqueston huff s/cb 5-11 195 Wyo.
    6.devon Kennard olb 6-3 255 USC
    7.austin wentworth ot 6-5 306 Fres.St.

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like it but don't need a rb do we at least not that high?

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    1 benjamin wr
    2 kyle fuller cb
    3 tre boston /ty zimmermann s
    4 attaouchu olb
    5 bullough ilb
    6 lyerla te
    7 w. johnson ot

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Benjamin at 15? What made him climb up your boards? Just curious.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we trade down better i still think we can get benjamin in late first , i was following the draft before and made some adjiustaments .