1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is our greatest need in the 2014 NFL draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Cornerback

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Nose Tackle

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Wide Receiver

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Tight End

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Inside Linebacker

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Left Tackle

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If I had to choose only one, I would say CB with others being, in order of importance:
    NT
    WR
    TE
    ILB
    LT

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we have to wait the offseason moves before to have a clear picture

3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right. I guess I'm making the assumption that the Steelers will not do anything significant in free agency and that Sanders is as good as gone. I think some of the vets will go, most notably Clark and Keisel. Even if we keep Ike I think CB is a major need. He was terrible this year. Beyond that, we'll see.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i was thinking about troy and the woodley worilds situation too

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep. ALOT of moving parts this off-season.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How much of our perceived weakness at NT is due to the lack of experience at ILB. I know they did a assessment of Mclendon on another site and overall he did pretty well especially considering it was his first year. I think between him and Woods and maybe Fangupo we might be ok. I don't know how they truly feel about some of our young DL prospects but I think we may have some talent there. Kiesel or Hood will be gone, maybe a legit bookend to pair with Heyward is the way to go....Hageman or Tuitt. We have some needs so no matter what direction we go it's gonna help,as long as we don't miss big time. My only wish is that they draft someone who can play right away. With the 15th pick we need a day one starter no ifs, ands or buts.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Right now, I would say CB.

I look at the other positions like this:

NT - I am okay with Woods and McLendon
    DE - Hood or Keisel will probably be back
    ILB - I am okay with a combination of Timmons and Foote/Williams/Garvin/Spence
    OLB - one of Woodley or Worilds will be back
    CB - even if Ike is back, we have needs
    S - Shamarko, Troy and Golden

QB - Ben
    RB - Bell
    FB - Johnson
    WR - If we get Cotchery back and Wheaton steps us...we will be fine
    TE - Heath and Spaeth is a good 2
    OT - Beachum, Adams and Gilbert are fine, but if a stud drops...I take him
    OG - Beachum should probably be here over Foster, but I like our interior depth if Wallace, Velasco and Embernate are all back
    C - Pouncey...and others back if we need depth

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I voted WR. Ben needs weapons.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't vote yet. Still deciding, TE or CB.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree, but I am beginning to get onto the CB bandwagon. Looking at the WR depth in the draft, there is talent there after the first round. Benjamin and Robinson I think will still be there in round 2.

11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    DB all the way.
    Either CB or S.

12. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    MIT needs to be defense that is fr sure. I've been stuck on the secondary but I started the think about our poor run defense. That being said, there is a ton a shifting that will happen on D.

I still say secondary with whispers of LB. we need speed and where ever that come from I'll be ok.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    CB over ILB, only because I like what we have with Timmons, Foote, Williams, and the potential of Spence and Garvin. CB looks pretty bleak now, so imagine what our future holds if we do not add anyone of quality? Taylor is falling off, Allen is OK, Gay is OK, but behind those two we have Brown who hasn't shown anything yet and the random street FA of the day, who I currently believe is Van Dyke.

While I want to beef up our OL for good, we seem to have enough guys around to make things work, and they are all pretty young. I still want to pick OL first, but realize that it may not be our biggest need, per say.

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say safety. Thomas may be the answer when troy retires but we need a centerfielder like clark. I don't trust golden at all

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this ..we need a great safety but i don't see one in the draft , we should look at free agency but we have no money

if i could go back to the last draft i would have like to have eric reid in the first

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we have to draft one now i would look at tre boston , exum or zimmerman in middle rounds

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Darqueze Denard CB out of Michigan State is there they should draft him at 15. They need top end talent in the secondary, can't rely on drafting guys in the later rounds and it takes them 3 years to develop.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    dennard should go to detroit , they need cb badly . i would take him if is there

19. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    That's the thing isn't it, it very much depends what happens 1-14. I'd say CB and WR(a big 'un) are the biggest needs.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like others, I have to wait and see
    what happens. For the record, last year
    I wanted Vaccarro. Didn't work out,
    we still need to address the back end.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I do think CB is our biggest need, however, I just don't like the crop of CBs this year. I don't see an elite one, so I will just take one in Round 2 or 4. So, I'm going with a game changing WR as our biggest need. Lets make the offence special.

22. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    CB/S is definitely a big need, but I'm leaning more to WR, depending on how the free agency season goes. Right now past Brown, all combine other WR's on the roster had less than 10 receptions. Bring Cotch back and this changes, but then we could look for a later round tall WR (2nd or 3rd?). Still early in the off season, things will change.

Of course I could see ILB as a need too.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't believe everyone wants a cornerback... Where have you people been the last few years????

Steelers don't invest highly in top-rated ball hawking Cornerbacks, as long as they tackle and don't get beat deep they are okay with the CB's they have. Cortez Allen and Willie Gay are your corners of the future folks ...

Imagine if we would have drafted Revis, we wouldn't have been able to resign him neither....

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why the Steelers are subpar in the secondary because they haven't drafted any highly rated CB's recently. If William Gay is our future at CB then we are really in trouble on defense.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Gay is the last reason our defense was awful this year.

front 7 didn't get it done, old safeties, Cortez Allen regressed this year. That pretty much explains it.

we need to find a pass rush next year ... Not sure if the draft can bring that to us ... Indirectly, I think we need a big time NT. Mclendon is okay, he is serviceable, he is not a GREAT NT.