1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There's potentially a large difference in talent when talking about a top 15 pick and a late round UDFA type. We have already invested (2) 1st rounders and (2) 2nd rounders on our O-line and it looks like our 7th rounder might be the best of the bunch. They really looked good going down the stretch. Why not invest a high draft pick on a WR now that it looks like #7 may be upright more often? We haven't invested early draft picks in this current group and it looks like the most logical area to upgrade IMO.
    or TE.. lol

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Greg Robinson LT of Auburn might be available at #15 not interested in Lewan, Michigan couldn't pass protect or run the ball last season.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not so sure there is that big of a talent difference in this draft. Sammy Watkins maybe, but we are not talking about that big receiver with him. we do need a #2, but I hope we don't over darft one. it's a pretty deep draft with some big bodies, with a little more speed and a little more experience. evens is a RS soph. not real fast either. nor is Benjamin or Matthews. it would limit the field stretching, I think and then that could cause other problems. you may be right though 58.:cool:

4. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a long way to go through the process mac. At this point for me it's really about what players I like and the direction that I'd like to see the team go. I'd be happy taking Watkins or Evans right where we're at. As for a trade back scenario, I think it works well with one of the 2 stud TE's in this draft. A trade back to the early - mid 20's could land us a 3rd round pick and one of the TE's. Then I'd be willing to wait on the WR. It's all about adding more weapons IMO..

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We already have field stretchers in Brown & Cotcerhy. We don't need another burner. We need a big bodied WR with a wingspan. Someone to make the tough catches. Just look around the league, Megatron, Marshall, Jeffrey, Larry Fitz, Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe etc... Its our turn to grab one of these 6'5 230lb monsters.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    exactly but a wr or a receiveing te ?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    brown and cotchery (who is a FA) ( and 32) are not field stretchers. if we are going to get one of these big bodies then why not one that's fast too. not every tall receiver is a megatron. is there a SB victory with any of the guys you listed?:cool:

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :facepalm: Meant to say Brown & Wheaton (not Cotchery)

But I do disagree. Brown can stretch the field without a doubt in my mind, and we know Wheaton can be a burner.

Most of the WRs I listed have had subpar QB play over their time in the league. That's not the case with Ben. Ben has now been here for 10 years, and we only ever gave him 1 1st round WR in Holmes, with whom he had great chemistry. Its time to give him another big weapon.

Alshon Jeffrey fell to the 2nd round because he wasn't fast. I think he proved this year, you don't have to be fast and can still be very productive.

And obviously I would like a 6'5 WR who runs 4.4, but that is just rare, and even then, he would not fall to #15. Mike Evans at 6'5 230 will probably run around 4.6, and that is ok with me.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I know the team has other priorities, most pointedly the defense, but if Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins drops to #15 you cannot pass on them, you just can't.

10. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    If we can walk away from the 1st round with
    A- Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins
    or
    B- Eric Ebron or Jace Amaro and a 3rd round pick (trade back scenario)
    I'd be very happy with the 1st round..

How many games were adversely effected by drops (especially early) this season? We need more weapons.

11. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I can see that. This is where I am at. If one of the receivers is there, we will take them I truly believe that. If not, and we keep the pick, I see us waiting till the 2nd or 3rd for a receiver, and probably taking an ILB or CB.

I also think it is possible that IF say Evans goes to us in the first round that Seferian-Jenkins could still be there when we pick in the 2nd and might be able to be picked.

12. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    And I'm totally OK with this scenario!

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I very much see that as a likely scenario.

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    You TE guys out there, can you build a case for me? Either Ebron or Amaro, because this is what I have.

Ebron is a project guy. His best football must be ahead of him because any game I watched, and his overall production, was pedestrian at best. Its not like he is a Vernon Davis type of athlete either. At no point did he ever establish himself as a red zone target either, although I acknowledge his QB play wasn't great. His YPC is the only thing that really catches my eye.

As for Amaro, I think his stats are over-inflated due to the Texas Tech offense. He can surely catch a ball and he has good speed and athleticism for a big TE. Where Ebron has the good YPC, Amaro's is alarmingly low. Also, for catching 106 balls this year, only 7 went for TDs. Once again, not a high end Red-Zone target.

So why should we trade back for either of these guys?

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i like sefarian jenkins in the second round ,if is there ...

16. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Well personally, I like Seferian-Jenkins better than either of them any way, but there is hype with the other 2. I think the combine could potentially change the rankings.

17. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's a pretty fair assessment of Ebron's game.. He is the all time receiving leader at TE in the ACC
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-breakdown-and-analysis-of-eric-ebrons-game

A write-up on Amaro here.. He just broke the NCAA record for receiving yards in a season by a TE
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-texas-tech-te-jace-amaro

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    me too i know he had an up and down year but when i saw him (a couple of games ) was unstoppable and they threw to him almost every down
    he plays like a wr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo
    but is a lot bigger and heavier
    fiedorovicz is good too

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't see the problems having one of these big bodied athletic TE's could cause for defenses when teamed up with Heath? Doesn't have to be Ebron or Amaro, although I disagree with you and think they will be good weapons in the pros, it could be Jenkins too, hell, would love Colt Lyerla if he didn't have so much off field issues, he may have more up side then any of them. I just want someone to create mismatches, I'm very envious when I see what Gronk does to defenses. Team somebody like that up with Heath, it's a nightmare. Unfortunately, none of our other TE's impressed me last season so I want one of these guys coming out of the draft.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    On Seferian-Jenkins- I didn't watch a lot of PAC-12 games this year, why did he have such a drop off in production? I think his DUI arrest may jeopardize his chances of being on the Steelers board...

22. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Matthews a lot but it's tough to get a gauge on where his value may be until he runs IMO

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    any thoughts on matavis Bryant out of Clemson? he is a big wr with speed. I think he can be had as early as 2nd or 3rd round. I seen one mock with us taking him in the 3rd. I have to admit I watched Clemson a lot and the only wr I can remember is Watkins. might not be a good sign.lol

24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good point. There are a couple guys in that boat, though I'm hoping for bad 40's. Allen Robinson is another guy who is right up there for me. I don't think I've really seen his name mentioned.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Forgot about that, probably will eliminate him from the Steelers. His only chance is the maturity in which he handled it. I forget the details but apparently he grabbed the bull by the horns and did some good with it.