1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Anyone watch the entire game? I tried watching most of the 1st half, but didn't see anything from Benjamin. Fell asleep at halftime, so I didn't see how it went after that, outside of the box score. Matter of fact about Benjamin, I'm not sure I saw him even targeted in the first half?

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I watched most of the 4th quarter. He didn't have a great game, but I loved his final TD. He did exactly what it is Ben says he wants. A guy who they just put up a jump ball to a spot and he went and got it...with the game on the line. You got to give him credit for that. My guess is he is a 2nd rounder, maybe 3rd rounder.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He didn't have a catch in the first half. Auburn's defense was giving them fits. I can't recall if he was even targeted. I think he had 4 or 5 catches in the second half, one of which was that exciting game winning touchdown grab. He also had a bad drop in the 4th quarter.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    everybody wants a megatron. I would hate an offense of ben throw it up for grabs because we have a big receiver and he'll catch it. uh, no. we have 2 on the roster. moye is as big as most of them in this draft, and a lot faster then most.

Justin brown is not small either, but he's not a stretch the field type of receiver. he's as big and fast though as most in this draft. we did draft him in the 6th round too.

I don't know why everyone wants to change for changes sake. these guys are brand new as is wheaton a 4th round pick. sanders and brown took a couple of years to reach where they are, after being down the depth chart too, don't forget.

I'm not against a few late round very good receivers, that are smaller faster types either.

here's 4 guys that would be great additions:

tyler locket Kansas St. 5-11 175 4.47.......... if you watch football you will probably know the lockett name. I watch this kid and he looks like he has all the pro wr moves. he does it like an old vet. like it's the most natural thing I've ever seen and he's coming out early. so he's young. he has an NFL type game already. most likely a 3rd or 4th rd. pick right now.

tevin reese Baylor 5-10 170 4.38 ............. reese had a dislocated wrist this year and made it back for the bowl game. before that he was a top receiver for them. he was back at it in the bowl game. quick and fast with great hands. think of him as what I've said above about lockett and mix in this kid is a faster Antonio brown. he got a little lost in the shuffle this year with the injury. right now he's a late 6th-7th round rated.

dri archer Kent St. 5-8 175 4.37............... plays RB/WR and returns. if you get a chance, go watch his highlights. he's late 7th- UDFA ranked right now. we have had luck with KSU players before. at least a time or two. explosive. will run up the middle too.

corey (philly) brown OhioSt. 5-11 190 4.38... he's been a good receiver in Columbus. 9 TD's I believe this season. that is on a run 1st team. can get open and he's not tiny. he's ranked as an UDFA right now. wow, that amazes me.
    I'd have no trouble adding any of these guys to our roster and it would make it better. 3 of them could be had late or after the draft. they would all be steals as late as they are ranked right now.
    :cool:

5. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't want an offense where Ben just throws it up and trusts his D to make a play, but I want what I saw last night. Big tall kid who went to a spot in a big game and won the soft toss ball for the win. THAT is something that is still lacking in this offense. Moye or Brown might be able to do that, it is too early to tell.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i want a mismatch nightmare :emperor:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. Unless the Steelers think Moye and J Brown have nothing to offer, I don't think they should draft a WR. Most likely, those guys didn't play due to depth, not skill, I'm sure they will get more out of them next year. Want to sign a big target, take a TE, having Heath and an Amaro/Ebron type player would give teams fits. There was a TE you like too, forgot his name, haven't checked him out yet.

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    mac daddyo HAVE I GOT A PLAYER FOR YOU!!!!

bet you couldn't guess that he is a Tarheel

Ryan Switzer 5-10 180
    unfortunately only a freshman
    but
    this kid lit it up this season he is FASTTTTTTTTT
    5 punt return for tds (tied ncaa rec)
    he's from West Virginia he's gotta be a Steeler fan

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm listening.hehehe I like several tar heels already. we need speed added, but not just fast guys. I'm pretty amazed some of these guys I have listed are slipping so far. these were all productive players for their teams. reese and archer are two guys that take those bubble screens to the house like AB.

I will check out that catbird. is he related to barry? and I don't mean barry white. LOL that's for takin a whole different thing to the house.:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    dar, it's funny now that I looked him up, but I actually watched him play in HS. in a couple of years we can take him. by then another freshman from my local HS may be a top big receiver too. tall and fast. he's playing at purdue right now. not the year switzer had, but both freshmen and both talented.:cool:

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Benjamin is a little raw but if he's there in the second round I would take him. You can't coach height and leaping ability which he has he caught the game winning TD and made a nice catch.

12. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I would be willing to take him in the 2nd and def. in the 3rd which would be a no brainer if he made it to our comp pick in the 3rd round. All of this of course assumes we don't go WR in round 1.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    do we need one that high?:cool:

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what do you think about
    Jared Abbrederis*, WR, Wisconsin
    and
    Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama

i think if we can trade down we can have more picks on the second day where there are very good players

15. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    You know I think it depends. Sanders I expect to be gone. Cotchery I expect back. Maybe we sign another FA vet or pick one up on the waiver wire near the end of camp like we did Cotchery, but right now with Cotchery back we have:

1 established WR
    1 veteran
    4 guys entering their 2nd year.

Those 4 guys have:

Moye 7 GP 2 catches
    Brown 0 GP 0 catches
    Wheaton 12 GP 6 catches
    Sampson 0 GP 0 catches

To put that in perspective, W. Johnson had as many catches this year as these 4 did combined.

Do I think we need a WR? Yes. How badly? Not sure. IMO this FO will probably do what it always does...try to make it so they don't HAVE to take any one position, allowing us to take the BPA from a group of positions.

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Ebron is on the board and they don't take him I might have to put my head through a wall s

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Wear a helmet. :D

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but those 4 guys don't have to come in and learn the offense new. they have had a year at least in a pro situation learning pro speed and the system. 2 of them were draft picks of ours. a 3rd and a 6th. are we just supposed to replace them? are they any different size wise to what you want to bring in fresh? talent wise? seems like just different names that have to learn what these guys already did last year. I guess I just don't see the logic.:cool:

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I pretty much agree with this thinking. The only WR I see worthy of the 15th pick is Watkins but he will be long gone. Maybe Lee if we are able to trade back. The big receiving TE is starting to grow on me but I think the top three guys are a reach as well. I'd be glad to wait until the second or third then take the best WR available. Not a knock on Ben but he should be able to make his WR options better. I think he learned a lot this year and I hope it carries over. He seems to be in a good place mentally and physically.

With all this being said I'm leaning towards a stud DL to pair with " Steelhead" Heyward and not a NT either. I think it all starts upfront and we've been searching for Aaron's worthy replacement for a while. Hageman or Tuitt may fit the bill. Like I said before though whoever is picked at 15 better be able to play right away. We can't waste a mediocre season on mediocre talent.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Cameron erving is going back to Fla.St.. another top LT out of the mix now.:cool:

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm comfortable with Beachum.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and if he gets hurt? are you confortable with adams? I'm not.:cool:

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think that's a good move for him, as he could greatly benefit from another year in school learning the position. Just bumps up Lewan, the Alabama guy, and the others. Those worried about us picking Lewan may not have anything to fret over come draft day, as he may be off the board.

24. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I hope so!

25. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Abbrederis will make some team very happy.
    At the very least, he seems like a Welker/Edelman type; maybe even more speed. Looked very consistent in routes and receiving ability.